PDA

View Full Version : Tipping hotel maids

Ulysses
06-26-2005, 01:59 PM
I don't think most people tip housekeeping in hotels. You should.

jakethebake
06-26-2005, 02:02 PM
At the end I leave them all the change from my pockets during my whole trip. It usually comes out to a few bucks. I also leave the Do Not Disturb up the whole time I'm there so they don't clean my room everyday.

Nick B.
06-26-2005, 02:02 PM
I do sometimes, what $ would you suggest. Usually I am sleeping when they make their rounds, so I usually only get it once every 3 or 4 days.

goofball
06-26-2005, 02:03 PM
a) why?

b) where does it end?

PoBoy321
06-26-2005, 02:03 PM
I leave money after the end of the trip too, but I usually leave somewhere between $5 and $10, although if it's a particularly long trip, I'll leave more.

hoopsie44
06-26-2005, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

$ Deuce per night.

tbach24
06-26-2005, 02:04 PM
You're actually supposed to do it daily because maids change.

nbake
06-26-2005, 02:05 PM
This might sound stupid, but where do you leave the tip?

tbach24
06-26-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually on the bed or by the TV

PoBoy321
06-26-2005, 02:09 PM
I usually leave it on the nighstand next to the bed with a little note thanking the cleaning people.

IronDragon1
06-26-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree

$1-$5/day on a sliding scale with the metric being the swankiness of the joint

Now of course if you happend to have hit or made some sort of giant mess (as a result of hitting it) then more (double what would "should" tip) is required

RacersEdge
06-26-2005, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a) why?

b) where does it end?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ulysses
06-26-2005, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I do sometimes, what $ would you suggest. Usually I am sleeping when they make their rounds, so I usually only get it once every 3 or 4 days.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tip anywhere from $1 to $5. This depends on the following:

Am I getting new towels/sheets (a lot of hotels now have a conservation thing where you can have them just make the bed and you can leave your towels hanging instead of on the floor and they just leave them)? If my room is neat and they are basically just going to make the bed, I leave $1.

If it is a standard service - new sheets, new towels, a little trash, etc., I'll leave $2 to $3.

If I've made a mess like had some people over and there are a bunch of cans, bottles, etc., I'll leave $5. I'll also usually leave $5 if I call at some random time to get them to come service my room.

Alobar
06-26-2005, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought they didn't need to be tipped, since they usually just go through your [censored] and take money anyway.

Im a pretty generous tipper, but im sorry, im not tipping the hotel maid for doing her job. Changing sheets and putting new towels in the bathroom, isnt exactly providing a service. And since Im not a [censored] slob thats the only thing they do when I stay in a hotel, and they only do that when I leave usually cuz I keep the "do not disturb" sign up the whole time.

nbake
06-26-2005, 02:16 PM
So what if you just have some money laying by the TV or on the bed. Do they just take that?

tbach24
06-26-2005, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So what if you just have some money laying by the TV or on the bed. Do they just take that?

[/ QUOTE ]

You shouldn't leave money or valuables or anything like that lying around in a hotel. If you don't want to take it with you, most hotel rooms have safe's in them.

Ulysses
06-26-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a) why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why tip the guy who brings up your luggage? Why tip a dollar to the guy who whistles over the next cab? This is a job function where tips are considered when setting their very low salaries. Now, if you on principle don't tip the bellman, don't tip the valet, don't tip the concierge, etc., then I can see not tipping housekeeping. But I think what happens a lot in hotels is that people tip the people who do very easy jobs where there is personal interaction. However, they often skip tipping housekeeping because they are sort of "out-of-sight, out-of-mind" and there's no personal interaction. I feel like if you are tipping those other functions that really don't do anything at all, you should definitely tip these people who are doing real work in a largely thankless job.

[ QUOTE ]
b) where does it end?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wherever you want it to end. Your choice. I just think on the range of people who commonly get tipped at hotels, housekeeping should be pretty high on the list.

I agree that, in general, too many people are starting to expect tips here. I speak specifically of the tip jars at places like coffee shops.

Ulysses
06-26-2005, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Leaving a tip on the nightstand or on the bathroom counter usually works. But sometimes they just leave it. So what I do now is I just write "For housekeeping, thanks." on a piece of paper and fold that over the tip.

Ulysses
06-26-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In my experience, unless it is very clear that it is a tip, they will leave it. So, if I leave $2 on the bathroom with a piece of soap over it, it'll usually get taken. But if I have a couple of bucks sitting on the nightstand, it'll get left. So that's why I leave a note with it.

Alobar
06-26-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
a) why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why tip the guy who brings up your luggage? Why tip a dollar to the guy who whistles over the next cab? This is a job function where tips are considered when setting their very low salaries. Now, if you on principle don't tip the bellman, don't tip the valet, don't tip the concierge, etc., then I can see not tipping housekeeping. But I think what happens a lot in hotels is that people tip the people who do very easy jobs where there is personal interaction. However, they often skip tipping housekeeping because they are sort of "out-of-sight, out-of-mind" and there's no personal interaction. I feel like if you are tipping those other functions that really don't do anything at all, you should definitely tip these people who are doing real work in a largely thankless job.

[ QUOTE ]
b) where does it end?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wherever you want it to end. Your choice. I just think on the range of people who commonly get tipped at hotels, housekeeping should be pretty high on the list.

I agree that, in general, too many people are starting to expect tips here. I speak specifically of the tip jars at places like coffee shops.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post. Handn't thought of it like that.

Im gunna keep on not tipping them tho, because I don't tip anyone else at the hotel (because I carry my own bags, and I never go anywhere that has cabs, heh)

RacersEdge
06-26-2005, 02:39 PM
I basically tip when someone is providing a service AND has gone above and beyond in performing that service. I'm not trying to balance out the economies of the labor market.

So a concierge gets us a tee time - no tip. He throws in a yardage book for that course - a tip.

Ulysses
06-26-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I basically tip when someone is providing a service AND has gone above and beyond in performing that service. I'm not trying to balance out the economies of the labor market.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you don't tip bartenders or waitresses who do their job as expected by you, but don't go above and beyond?

hoopsie44
06-26-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It can be very dangerous to your health to stiff restaurant/bar personnel. I've seen some very unappetizing add-ons to drink and food orders when the customer is cheap or verbally abusive.

OtisTheMarsupial
06-26-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought they didn't need to be tipped, since they usually just go through your [censored] and take money anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

They do not. Most maids are on such a strict schedule that they don't have time go through your [censored]. They have to clean each room in about 15 minutes. You try doing that.

[ QUOTE ]

Im a pretty generous tipper, but im sorry, im not tipping the hotel maid for doing her job. Changing sheets and putting new towels in the bathroom, isnt exactly providing a service. And since Im not a [censored] slob thats the only thing they do when I stay in a hotel, and they only do that when I leave usually cuz I keep the "do not disturb" sign up the whole time.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should. Some get taxed on their expected tips and most just make really shitty wages for extremely hard work.

And they're not all female.

jakethebake
06-26-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And they're not all female.

[/ QUOTE ]

HahaHaHaHaHaHa

Alobar
06-26-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They do not. Most maids are on such a strict schedule that they don't have time go through your [censored]. They have to clean each room in about 15 minutes. You try doing that.

[/ QUOTE ]

joke
n.

1. Something said or done to evoke laughter or amusement, especially an amusing story with a punch line.
2. A mischievous trick; a prank.
3. An amusing or ludicrous incident or situation.
4. Informal.
1. Something not to be taken seriously; a triviality: The accident was no joke.
2. An object of amusement or laughter; a laughingstock: His loud tie was the joke of the office.

GuyOnTilt
06-26-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
they usually just go through your [censored] and take money anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally not true in my experience. Most of the time I haven't left a note with the tip, even when it's pretty clear it's a tip, they've left it. I'll put a $5 on the nightstand hanging over the edge at a 90 degree with a glass over it or something to keep it sticking straight out and it'll still be there when I get back after turnover.

GoT

RacersEdge
06-26-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you don't tip bartenders or waitresses who do their job as expected by you, but don't go above and beyond?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I tip waitresses and barteneders - I'm a big believer in tipping people who touch my food. That's why I said "basically" in my OP. Plus, part of what I'm tipping is the personal interface part of it - or if the waitress is hot. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

LittleOldLady
06-26-2005, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I tip waitresses and barteneders - I'm a big believer in tipping people who touch my food. That's why I said "basically" in my OP. Plus, part of what I'm tipping is the personal interface part of it - or if the waitress is hot. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What bothers me is when employees at buffet restaurants demand (and I do mean demand) the same percentage of tip I would give at a sit-down place. My view: if I am walking around with a plate in my hand I am the damned waitress. One reason to tip decently at a sit-down place is that the server is your advocate with the kitchen (or should be) and can spit in your food if you are a known non-tipper. Neither of these is true at a buffet.

Another thing I can't stand is when a server gets in my face when I have given a 15% tip already, like that's not enough. This has happened in tourist-oriented places in the French Quarter (like Cafe du Monde). Well, I suppose they feel free to try to rip off tourists, but I am not a tourist...

I think there is some truth to the stereotype that men tip more freely than women. I calculate 15% to the penny and so do my female friends when ladies do lunch, whilst I see gentleman companions just throw down a fistful of bills.

FWIW I never tip the chambermaid. In fact, I discourage the chambermaid from entering, unless I am staying an extended period of time.

RacersEdge
06-26-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What bothers me is when employees at buffet restaurants demand (and I do mean demand) the same percentage of tip I would give at a sit-down place. My view: if I am walking around with a plate in my hand I am the damned waitress. One reason to tip decently at a sit-down place is that the server is your advocate with the kitchen (or should be) and can spit in your food if you are a known non-tipper. Neither of these is true at a buffet.

Another thing I can't stand is when a server gets in my face when I have given a 15% tip already, like that's not enough. This has happened in tourist-oriented places in the French Quarter (like Cafe du Monde). Well, I suppose they feel free to try to rip off tourists, but I am not a tourist...

I think there is some truth to the stereotype that men tip more freely than women. I calculate 15% to the penny and so do my female friends when ladies do lunch, whilst I see gentleman companions just throw down a fistful of bills.

FWIW I never tip the chambermaid. In fact, I discourage the chambermaid from entering, unless I am staying an extended period of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I have heard of this behavior before, but I have never had anyone demand anything from me in terms of a/more tip.

teamdonkey
06-26-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You should. Some get taxed on their expected tips and most just make really shitty wages for extremely hard work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of people bust their ass for shitty wages and get no tips. And i mean really bust their ass, not picking up after people in a hotel room or writing down someone's order and bringing them their food.

I find it hard to tip service staff the "accepted" amount because it often ends up in an hourly wage much higher than i think that position should make.

just as an example, El Diablo suggests tipping $2-3 for standard service from the cleaning staff. Otis says they clean a room every 15 minutes. At $10/hour from tips plus their regular wage ($7/hr?) they're making a lot more money than i feel the job is worth... not because i don't like them, or i feel their job is easy, but because it isn't in line with what other low skill jobs pay.

Sponger15SB
06-26-2005, 04:53 PM
The only time I tip is when I *accidentally* step out of the shower naked while they are cleaning and crazy sex ensues.

busguy
06-26-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The only time I tip is when I *accidentally* step out of the shower naked while they are cleaning and crazy sex ensues.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a thing for 60 year old mexicans do you ??

Sponger15SB
06-26-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a thing for 60 year old mexicans do you ??

[/ QUOTE ]

wrinkled skin, wrinkled sheets /images/graemlins/wink.gif

vulturesrow
06-26-2005, 05:50 PM
I make pretty heavy use of the do not disturb sign myself. That being said, when I dont, I usually tip. In my experience this is a very +EV proposition to put it in gambling terms. Even more so if you actually happen to meet the person that is cleaning your room and you take the time to thank them and tell you what a great job they are doing.

As an aside, are their really people who dont tip the concierge? This seems like a really really dumb thing.

OtisTheMarsupial
06-26-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Lots of people bust their ass for shitty wages and get no tips. And i mean really bust their ass, not picking up after people in a hotel room or writing down someone's order and bringing them their food.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would tip migrant farm workers too if given the opportunity.

You have obviously never worked in either of these positions. Housekeeping is extremely hard work and it's only undervalued because mostly minority women do it.

Waiting tables well involves a hell of a lot more skill - it requires good people skills, excellent timing and thick skin. Customers are downright mean - half of people who go out to eat just want to boss someone around.

Besides, just ask any wait person how many times they've been burned. Or look at their forearms.

[ QUOTE ]

just as an example, El Diablo suggests tipping $2-3 for standard service from the cleaning staff. Otis says they clean a room every 15 minutes. At $10/hour from tips plus their regular wage ($7/hr?) they're making a lot more money than i feel the job is worth...

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't get it. They don't get all those tips. You can't rationalize not tipping that way because you're basing your equation on other people's expected behavior, but you're just getting it wrong.

Most people do not tip hotel maids. That's WHY they often won't take the money even when it seems obvious it's a tip. This is also why when you tip a maid, you need to do it in person or leave a note, or just wait til checkout to do it.

Your justification for lack of tip is like saying you're not going to raise in situation A because player B is going to do C.
But Player B NEVER does C, never has and never will do C. So you either need
1) another rationale for not raising, or
2) you need to raise.

~Otis, former housekeeper and wait person

slamdunkpro
06-26-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

DING DING DING! - We have a winner.

[ QUOTE ]
So a concierge gets us a tee time - no tip. He throws in a yardage book for that course - a tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except I don't tip for stealing. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

slamdunkpro
06-26-2005, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It can be very dangerous to your health to stiff restaurant/bar personnel. I've seen some very unappetizing add-ons to drink and food orders when the customer is cheap or verbally abusive.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I've fired a lot of Bartenders for this. If they are plesant and enthusisatic, and give you better service because you are tipping - fine.

If they are stealing drinks (freebies) or liquor to heavy up your drinks because you are tipping - FIRED

teamdonkey
06-26-2005, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would tip migrant farm workers too if given the opportunity.

[/ QUOTE ]

at the end of the day this means nothing to anyone anywhere.

[ QUOTE ]
You have obviously never worked in either of these positions. Housekeeping is extremely hard work and it's only undervalued because mostly minority women do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but i've worked 2 summers in Missouri roofing and siding houses, making a cool $6.50 and hour. You're going to have a hard time convincing me cleaning hotel rooms or serving drinks/food is harder or requires more skill than this or a myriad of other low paying non-tip jobs.

[ QUOTE ]
You don't get it. They don't get all those tips. You can't rationalize not tipping that way because you're basing your equation on other people's expected behavior, but you're just getting it wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your arguement basically is, I should overtip because i know others will undertip? No thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
Most people do not tip hotel maids. That's WHY they often won't take the money even when it seems obvious it's a tip. This is also why when you tip a maid, you need to do it in person or leave a note, or just wait til checkout to do it.

Your justification for lack of tip is like saying you're not going to raise in situation A because player B is going to do C.
But Player B NEVER does C, never has and never will do C. So you either need
1) another rationale for not raising, or
2) you need to raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

by this rational, i shouldn't have bothered to vote this last election? based on what i know other people will do, it made zero difference.

Look, the cleaning person was just an example from this thread. A much more common situation is at a restaraunt. If my wife and I go out to Applebees, we might spend $30 and be there for about 50 minutes. A 15% tip here is $4.50. How many tables is this waitress serving during this time? I've never had a job like this, so can't say for sure, but 4 seems reasonable. If that's correct she's now made a wage of $18/hr in tips from me. I find this rediculous. Generally for normal service i'll tip $1 per person per hour. I still think this is excessive, but people generally think you're the Devil if you don't tip graciously.

Maybe i'm getting something wrong here, but i really think tipping (restaraunts in particular) is way overdone in this country. I make 40k a year ($20 if i only worked 40hrs/week) and just don't have enough money to justify randomly giving it to people who are just doing their jobs. If i made 150k i might feel differently.

jakethebake
06-26-2005, 06:57 PM
Just because someone works hard and doesn't make a lot doesn't make them underpaid.

teamdonkey
06-26-2005, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just because someone works hard and doesn't make a lot doesn't make them underpaid.

[/ QUOTE ]

i won't argue with that. but "standard" tipping often creates a position where someone is overpaid IMO.

jakethebake
06-26-2005, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i won't argue with that. but "standard" tipping often creates a position where someone is overpaid IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry. my statement wasn't meant to argue with yours. i agree with you.

Sponger15SB
06-26-2005, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

like waiters at restaurants where the bill is usually over $100?

Lawrence Ng
06-26-2005, 07:24 PM
I usually just dump all my coins to them.. works out from 5 to 10 dollars

Lawrence

masse75
06-26-2005, 08:44 PM
Bump. I want 4 threads on tipping on the front page.

goofball
06-26-2005, 08:50 PM
Well, it may be a function of my age but I don't believe I've ever tipped anyone in a hotel in the manner in which you describe. The only (very few) times I've done it is when someone has gone above and beyond for me, or when I want then do go above and beyond for me.

I do tip bartenders waittresses and dealers, but only because of society. It kind of bugs me that for that group a tip has become expected rather than used for it's original purpose in the manner described above. I do however try to vary my waiter tips a lot based on courtesy and efficiency, anywhere from 0 (very very rarely) to 25%. Bartenders I attempt to do it in a manner that will give me the best service (tough to do smoothly when you're opening a tab). With dealers it's gotten automatic, get pushed a pot, grab a dollar. I'm trying to change and institute a policy similar to my one for waiters, but it's been a pretty difficult habit to break.

Returning to the original point, while I don't tip bellhops, taxi line guys (especially those guys, I don't think i've ever seen them get tipped either) or anyone else in a hotel. This includes the housekeeping, but again, I'm pretty young and have never really been to a super fancy hotel, or in a clear hotel tipping situation.

Blarg
06-26-2005, 09:34 PM
I agree.

First you were supposed to tip whatever you felt like tipping, as a gratuity -- not an obligation. It was a thank you when a thank you was deserved.

Then it was 10%. Then 15%. Then 20%. Now sometimes 30%. Now it's being written into the check before you get it sometimes.

And the number of people you're supposed to tip is ever-expanding, to go along with the amount you're supposed to tip them.

At the same time, the general level of courtesy has dropped precipitously in society, and that seems to be not just reflected by exaggerated in customer service. "The customer is always right" used to be naturally obvious to some and a goal to others, but now it's frankly an open joke. Outright hostility isn't uncommon among people who interact with customers.

So the average customer is often faced with a bewildering barrage of outstretched palms expecting a reward, and a hefty one, for what is commonly indifferent service, and not infrequently much worse than that.

The customer is not a resource to be fleeced. He's the guy you want coming back again. Stockbrokers talk about "churning and burning" accounts, bleeding their customers dry on commissions by trying to get them endlessly buying and selling for no other reason than to generate transaction commissions. Restaurants, bars, and other business often seem to have the same mentality.

I'll tip, and well, when the service is good. But I'm surprised how crummy or even rude and arrogant many waitpersons, bartenders, clerks, etc., can be. The customer doesn't owe them a living, but they do owe the customer competent and professional service. I definitely don't reward poor service or let myself get browbeat by people who are there to do their job and do it well, just like the rest of the planet is expected to do -- without tips for it either.

I'm very loyal to places with good products and service, and tip well when it's deserved. But I don't think a tip should be a particularly large percentage of the cost of your meal, and I don't think just showing up is enough to earn a tip.

I'm amazed how often waiters disappear for 20 minutes or a half hour or more at a time, so I can't get a refill on my coke or ice tea or water or coffee or whatever. Sometimes I wander up to the kitchen myself, I get so fed up, because the other waitpersons often don't give a shyt if it's not their table. Dammit, why the ever growing gap between showing up to work and doing your job well?

stabn
06-26-2005, 09:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In my experience, unless it is very clear that it is a tip, they will leave it. So, if I leave $2 on the bathroom with a piece of soap over it, it'll usually get taken. But if I have a couple of bucks sitting on the nightstand, it'll get left. So that's why I leave a note with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what i do as well.

slamdunkpro
06-26-2005, 11:17 PM
Great post

tonypaladino
06-26-2005, 11:51 PM
The first day I am getting the room cleaned, I leave a $5 bill. I found that I'll getter much more thorough service the rest of the stay. If I'm happy with the serive I'll leave another $5 at checkout. (If I'm only there a few nights, just the initial $5.)

As far as waitstaff goes, my standard tip for standard serice is 16% (I just double the tax). If I feel they gave me exceptional serivice, I'll tip 20-25%. To me, tipping 25% is +EV for me at a place where I eat alot, b/c it means I'll get great service every subsiquent time I'm there.

I do NOT tip table game dealers unless they are particularly nice or helpful to me. This does lead to a lot of dirty looks, but F--- them. It's so easy for them to just smile and be nice, which would get them a tip, but it seems most of them can't be bothered. Maybe it's becuase of the levels I play at-- When I'm playing a -EV game for fun I seek out the $5 or $10 tables.

Just my $0.02 /images/graemlins/grin.gif

RacersEdge
06-27-2005, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The first day I am getting the room cleaned, I leave a $5 bill. I found that I'll getter much more thorough service the rest of the stay. If I'm happy with the serive I'll leave another $5 at checkout. (If I'm only there a few nights, just the initial $5.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious as to exactly how much service you need in a room. Maybe that's the difference here in how people tip. For me, just pick up the towels and make the bed. That's it. I actually don't want them touching my stuff very much at all. I guess that's why I just want the minimum service and be done with it.

OtisTheMarsupial
06-27-2005, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

No, but i've worked 2 summers in Missouri roofing and siding houses, making a cool $6.50 and hour. You're going to have a hard time convincing me cleaning hotel rooms or serving drinks/food is harder or requires more skill than this or a myriad of other low paying non-tip jobs.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's not my argument. You misrepresent my argument.

I'm sorry you made such a shitty wage at such a hard job. That doesn't give you the right to treat other people like [censored].

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your arguement basically is, I should overtip because i know others will undertip? No thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, you don't get it. Re-read my original post. I am not arguing that you should tip because others don't. I am saying there is flaw in your argument not to tip:
You say you don't tip because if everyone tipped then they'd earn more than you think they should earn. All I'm saying is that not everyone tips, so you can't say they're really making $10/ hour or whatever you think they're making that is more than you think the job is worth.

[ QUOTE ]

Look, the cleaning person was just an example from this thread. A much more common situation is at a restaraunt. If my wife and I go out to Applebees, we might spend $30 and be there for about 50 minutes. A 15% tip here is $4.50. How many tables is this waitress serving during this time? I've never had a job like this, so can't say for sure, but 4 seems reasonable. If that's correct she's now made a wage of $18/hr in tips from me. I find this rediculous. Generally for normal service i'll tip $1 per person per hour. I still think this is excessive, but people generally think you're the Devil if you don't tip graciously.

Maybe i'm getting something wrong here, but i really think tipping (restaraunts in particular) is way overdone in this country. I make 40k a year ($20 if i only worked 40hrs/week) and just don't have enough money to justify randomly giving it to people who are just doing their jobs. If i made 150k i might feel differently.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is funny becauses originally I wrote at the end of my post "or just fess up and admit you can't afford it" but then I deleted it because I thought it would be too rude.

Yes, if you can't afford to tip, then don't tip or don't go do things that require tips.

But you are mistaken about tipping. You simply have wrong beliefs.
That waitress is not making $18/ hour because
- She is tipping out to other people: buss boy, runner, bar tender, cook, hostess (Some restaurants REQUIRE wait staff to tip out certainn percentages of their total sales to buss persons and the like).
- She is taxed on her tips (in NV she MUST claim 8% of her sales whether or not she actually received that in tips. She is taxed on that).
- If she has a dine and dash, or mistake in giving someone change, she usually has to cover and this comes out of her tips.

So, you really should tip out at least 10% to your wait person.

OtisTheMarsupial
06-27-2005, 12:08 AM
Oh, and even if she did earn $18/ hour, you simply can't work it out like it's a regular 40 hour work week and normal job because
1) it's only going to be $18/hr for the busy times and
2) wait staff NEVER work full 40 work weeks. Managers cut hours whenever possible so they don't have to shell out the extra $5/hour min. wage for an extra second.

OtisTheMarsupial
06-27-2005, 12:10 AM
OH, yeah, and in some states, they aren't even required to pay wait persons minimum wage. They ASSUME they get tips, so restraunts get away with paying wait staff something like $2/hour.

I think this happens in Missouri. JK /images/graemlins/wink.gif

tonypaladino
06-27-2005, 12:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious as to exactly how much service you need in a room. Maybe that's the difference here in how people tip. For me, just pick up the towels and make the bed. That's it. I actually don't want them touching my stuff very much at all. I guess that's why I just want the minimum service and be done with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm kinda picky about the bathroom. I want my shower CLEAN. I also am a total slob and leave clothes, bedsheets, and towels all over the place.

Also, if there is a coffee maker, I will leave a note with the $5 asking for lots o' coffee.

TONY

slamdunkpro
06-27-2005, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
OH, yeah, and in some states, they aren't even required to pay wait persons minimum wage. They ASSUME they get tips, so restraunts get away with paying wait staff something like $2/hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

$2.12 is the minimum wage for tipped personnel but at the end of the quarter their wage plus the percentage of sales needs to average more than $5.15/hr or you have to make up the difference. (At least in Maryland) Plus you can’t require that they pool tips or make tip outs mandatory, you can only suggest it.

slamdunkpro
06-27-2005, 01:49 AM
Good Post - It is getting silly.

I tip at bars and Restaurants with Restaurants being on a sliding scale depending on the service and the level of the restaurant.

Some of the criteria:

If I had reservations were we promptly seated(+) or were we queued for 20 minutes (-)
Is the table set up correctly with all silverware and napkins(+)
Is the table next to a window or in a good location(+) or next to a service station or the Kitchen door? (-)
Did someone come up and fill the water glasses and say hello promptly(+) or were we ignored for 10 minutes(-)
Is the wait person pleasant and did we get menus and a wine list(+)
Did they take a drink order and give us the specials promptly (+)
Does the wait person speak passable English, French, or German(+)
In an Asian restaurant does the waiter tell us or point out the good stuff that isn’t in English (+++)
Is the wait person honest about what’s good / not so good (+++)
Do they repeat our order back? (+++)
Is our order correct when it arrives? (+) or not (- - -)
Is it the correct temperature (hot things hot – cold things cold) / doneness (+) or not (-)
If its wrong do they fix it without a hassle(+) or do they argue with us (- - - - - )
If I get a side item that requires condiments such as a baked potato are they brought to the table with the item or immediately after (+)or do I have to sit there for 10 minutes(- - - ) pet peeve
Do they check on us right after service (++) especially if the food is brought by a runner (+++) or do we have to flag them down (- -)
Do they check on use ¾ of the way through the meal (++)
Is dessert and coffee offered before the check (+) or with it (- - -)
Do they try and clear the table while we are still eating (- - -)
Do they try and push us out? (- - -)
Do they bring the change / charge slip back promptly? (+) or not (-)
Do they say “Thank You” (+++)

Now obviously I don’t expect all this at Denny’s or Bennigans, but I do expect some of it, and a high-end place like Ruth’s Chris I’d expect all of it. Plus I know the wait person isn’t responsible for everything, but they are for more than one might think – example if the order is wrong they should catch it before it comes out of the kitchen (again unless they use runners).

Plus if the tip is going to suffer because of something beyond the wait person’s control I tell them why so they can adjust their tip-out.

As far as retail counter service like Quiznos - hell will freeze over before I put a dime in that bucket. Hotels – I’m paying $150 a night for a box and you want me to pay the service staff ? Uh no. The taxi line guy? Only if he lets me cut in line. If my hair cutter takes extra time or does a really good job – yes. If it’s like last time and she’s overbooked and just hacks it off to get me out – No. The bathroom guy? Just hands me a towel – no. Has stuff out on the counter that you can use? Yes. The shoe shine girl? Low cut blouse - big yes (kidding).

Any place that builds the tip into the bill gets exactly that – no more. I’ve found that at least in the States a built in tip means indifferent service.

Some resort hotels and rental condos actually charge you by the day for maid service. If they do, then they pay the staff, don’t expect me to.

I’ll tip bartenders pretty good for good service so I don’t have to wait in line, but I’ll never tip them or anyone for stealing.

jakethebake
06-27-2005, 07:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry you made such a shitty wage at such a hard job. That doesn't give you the right to treat other people like [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

You can call it whatever you want, but actually he DOES have the "right" to tip or not tip as he sees fit.

beerbandit
06-27-2005, 08:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Before you arrive at a nicer hotel or resort, inquire as to whether gratuities are included in the price of the room. Some hotels are now charging a daily fee that covers all tipping for hotel services. If there is not a daily fee, these rates are appropriate:

[/ QUOTE ]

from here (http://www.findalink.net/tippingetiquette.php)

ive never tipped the housekeping before, actually never thought of it

interesting though, i also have the do not disturb sign up most of the time so some days i dont think they make it ----- im mainly concerned with new towels --- i always hate getting back to my room and the bed is made, just makes waste time unmaking it

cheers

samjjones
06-27-2005, 09:54 AM
I normally leave $2-3 a day. I am a slob, so its the least I can do.