PDA

View Full Version : What would you do with AA on 228 flop?

JC_Saves
06-26-2005, 01:52 PM
In hindsight I wish I would have checked the flop and then I could have come over the top if someone bet out and I would have learned something about their hand. As it is I was lost, because of the big raise. I think that I probably should have pushed all in and let the chips fall where they may, but it was early and I had plenty of chips.

Thoughts?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

CO (t900)
Button (t1490)
SB (t1310)
BB (t1640)
UTG (t1270)
UTG+1 (t1330)
Hero (t1620)
MP2 (t2690)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t80</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls t80, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls t70, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t260) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t140</font>, CO calls t140, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t520</font>, Hero folds, CO folds.

Final Pot: t1060

bobby rooney
06-26-2005, 02:02 PM
Hmmm, I think you made a bad fold, because chances are the guy didn't have a 2. First off, you raised preflop so if he did call with a two, he must be very loose. Secondly, ask yourself how most players would play trips. Even though it's often wrong to do so, many players don't come out of their shell until the turn or river. I think his most likely hands if he comes over the top right on the flop are a medium pair or flush draw.

JC_Saves
06-26-2005, 02:13 PM
What is the balancing act of falling in love with your AA versus laying down a loser?

I have posted two hands in the last week with AA. one where I didn't fold when I thought I was beat by two pair, and everyone says that I shouldn't have folded, in which case I was right and he did have two pair and I busted out,

And then this hand in which I let it go to fight another day because it was early, and I pretty much feel that I probably did let go of a winning hand on the off chance my opponened played some weird hand like A2s, K2s, 22, 88, which at low limit are not all that wierd, especially the 88 or 22 hands, although 22 was highly unlikely, but still possible.

When do you throw the Aces in the muck?

billyjex
06-26-2005, 02:23 PM
i would never, ever, make this fold. Villian could be doing this with a heart draw/8/or a smaller overpair. I come over the top of his reraise and go all in.

sekrah
06-26-2005, 02:29 PM
That was a horrible horrible fold IMO.

I'd put your chances at 98% that you had the best hand at that moment.

If he has a set of 8s (boat), it's almost 99% certain he would have smooth called, hoping one of you two made your flushes.

Bad, bad laydown. He probably had a middle pair, 5's, 6's or 7's and put you on overs. He also could of had less than that (heart draw) and put you on overs after the junk flop! With your weak pre-flop raise, there is no way he puts you on a big pair..

an INSANE laydown right there.. that pot was yours. There was only one move that you had right there.. All-In!

You can't play scared that he made a weak call with x-2.

Sam T.
06-26-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And then this hand in which I let it go to fight another day...

When do you throw the Aces in the muck?

[/ QUOTE ]

Going deep is not just about living to fight another day, it's also about accumulating enough chips in the first couple of hours so you can bully the small stacks on the bubble, and survive the occasional bad-beat that is coming in hour three or four.

Is it posible that you are behind? Of course, but unless you flop top set on a drawless board, that is always the case. But it is far more likely that you are up against one or two players who haven't the slightest idea what they are doing. They have A8 or 99, so they've flopped TPTK or an overpair, and they're not laying that down for anything in the whole wide world.

As to mucking aces, this early in the tournament it's very rare. It would take a very crazy board, and a lot of action in front of me. The play is so bad that even if you should be behind based on the betting, you usually are not.

Good luck,

Sam

scott8
06-26-2005, 03:42 PM
Not a fold without a very specific read IMHO.

Cleveland Guy
06-26-2005, 03:47 PM
At first when i read this I thought the lay down was Terrible.

How can you fold AA into a 228 flop.

But then I looked at the hand again - and realized it was the SB who was check raising.

I think this laydown isn't that bad. And no I'm not usually Mr. Weak tight.

But the fact that the C/R is coming from a guy in the blinds who was first to act.

The call for 70 is loose yes, but we have all seen people who make this from the blinds with A2x, A2s or K2x. Hell we have seen it plents of times with 23s - cause it's "sooted connector"

SO the call is loose being in the blinds, but not unheard of. If this raise came from the guy in CO - I'd be all in in a second.

Now why do I think it's a 2?

Well I'm thinking most likely an 8 here would lead out into a PFR. A heart draw - I don't think this early many people would play a heart draw this agressively. Maybe if he thought he had 2 live overs to go with it.

But you did put out a 4xBB raise from an EP (Not weak to whoever said it was).

So while I don't find fault here in calling, or even pushing all in.

I think that there is a fair chance our villian has a 2, and his play is faily consistent with that.

What's not told here, is how big the tournament, and how far into it we are. Those factors could change your decision, that and a read on your SB.

baronzeus
06-26-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i would never, ever, make this fold. Villian could be doing this with a heart draw/8/or a smaller overpair. I come over the top of his reraise and go all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Going all in is bad here. Just let him bet his 8s till the river and call down.

What will the donk call besides 88 or 22 if you push all in? Just seems stupid

mj12
06-26-2005, 05:54 PM
this is a flop i dream of getting with AA, the chances of 88 with that rr are almost 0 and a 2 would almost never be in this hand and would probably not rr here. Chances are he puts u on overcards with that rag flop and has pp or an 8. With nut 2 pair and no draws i would almost always slow this hand