PDA

View Full Version : Penn and Teller - Bullshit!

Yeti
06-26-2005, 09:31 AM
Pretty decent show. Favourite episodes?

jakethebake
06-26-2005, 09:42 AM
Are you related to one of them or what?

slamdunkpro
06-26-2005, 10:10 AM
Worst act I ever saw live. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Yeti
06-26-2005, 10:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, no.

Jack of Arcades
06-26-2005, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you ask? It's a great show.

jakethebake
06-26-2005, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad two of you think so. I assume anyyone that thinks this must be related to one or both of them. Or is retarted.

Yeti
06-26-2005, 10:58 AM
I've watched a couple. It's pretty good, not amazing.

I like the premise but, execution-wise, it's like a poor man's Louis Theroux. (this will likely mean nothing to most of you)

z32fanatic
06-26-2005, 11:28 AM
I liked the recycling and the marijuana episodes but I haven't been able to catch the recent ones. I think it's a great show.

player24
06-26-2005, 12:13 PM
The most recent show, not my favorite, is kind of dumb. It is all about hair. Not worth watching - unless you want to watch people get their pubic hair waxed (interesting).

It is amazing how they can still come up with cornball experts to appear on the show. Don't these people know they are going to be mocked and ridiculed? (No different than Jerry Springer,et al. I guess.)

Daliman
06-26-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Worst act I ever saw live. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
What kinda stuff do you like then?

I thought, and think, P & T are awesome live, on TV, or making cookies in my kitchen.

touchfaith
06-26-2005, 12:32 PM
I saw them live in SF about 10 years ago when their act was fresh and they kicked ass.

Today, I'd rather see them on Celebrity Fear Factor.

trying2learn
06-26-2005, 12:43 PM
i dig the show - it's a bit overdone at times - but the premise is so great it normally comes out okay.

krazyace5
06-26-2005, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad two of you think so. I assume anyyone that thinks this must be related to one or both of them. Or is retarted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you guys are retarted. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Skipbidder
06-26-2005, 02:13 PM
Great show in theory. Occasionally, a great show in practice. Frequently poorly executed. My favorite episode was probably Feng Shui/Bottled Water. Talking To the Dead was quite good as well.

They are not always good at identifying who they are talking with. They sometimes identify people as experts without really telling us who they are (and sometimes without the people deserving that designation). They also let their politics cloud their judgment more often than you would want. They have not issued corrections for things that they have been wrong about. In fact, at the beginning of the third season, they claimed that they hadn't made any errors in past shows, which is dead wrong. They also claimed that they never took anyone out of context. They clearly do, usually for comedic effect. Take a look at how they treated Noam Chomsky in the recent episode about college (one of their relative duds). Noam Chomsky has a great deal to say that would have been interesting. (Even people with whom you usually disagree can be very good discussants.) They had an agenda other than having an interesting discussion with an interesting person.

The third season has some throw away episodes. I saw P&T at a skeptic's conference in Las Vegas. They said that they needed to have these throw away episodes in order to save money for other episodes.

jakethebake
06-26-2005, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, you guys are retarted. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What's you're point moran?

Yeti
06-26-2005, 02:29 PM
Skipbidder - please share your favourite episodes.

Skipbidder
06-26-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Skipbidder - please share your favourite episodes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I listed Feng Shui/Bottled Water and Talking to the Dead already. They are both from season 1. From season 2, I think I'd pick War on Drugs. I liked Death, Inc. too. I remember Self-Helpless from season 1 as good.

They were wrong about Second Hand Smoke. They didn't nail the PETA people the way they could/should have. They were close on the Recycling episode, but let their politics interfere.

Yeti
06-26-2005, 03:00 PM
Thanks dude.

trying2learn
06-26-2005, 03:27 PM
death inc was great - the plush caskets were sides-plitting

slamdunkpro
06-26-2005, 04:04 PM
I used to love them on TV. My wife and I went to a P&T show at George Mason University. First, tickets were BIG bucks. Second the show just dragged, they are much better when edited for TV. Third, they both acted bored, like they were just going through the motions. I guess we went to a “take the money and run” tour.

Siegfried and Roy, and Danny Ganns in Vegas were 10,000 times better

Daliman
06-27-2005, 01:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I used to love them on TV. My wife and I went to a P&T show at George Mason University. First, tickets were BIG bucks. Second the show just dragged, they are much better when edited for TV. Third, they both acted bored, like they were just going through the motions. I guess we went to a “take the money and run” tour.

Siegfried and Roy, and Danny Ganns in Vegas were 10,000 times better

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, maybe a different show than at Rio now then, which I loved. If you liked them before, you may have just gotten a bad show.

Skipbidder
06-29-2005, 12:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks dude.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup.

I just thought of another bit that I really liked.
The best human being in the history of the world is named Norman Borlaug. It isn't even close. I've talked about him for a while, and nobody ever recognizes his name. Penn and Teller interviewed him (and even suggested something along those lines...that he's the best human ever).

They won a lot of points from me with this segment. I'm willing to put up with a fair amount of junk from them because of it (and because I really like their concept and want them to succeed).

For those of you who don't know him (which probably is almost everyone reading this) Norman Borlaug is probably responsible for saving at least a billion lives because of agricultural advances (yes, that's billion with a "B"). He won the Nobel Prize in 1970.