PDA

View Full Version : what to do in this situation?

pearljam
06-26-2005, 03:53 AM
Everyone has about 800 chips first round. 3 limpers to my SB and I complete with QJ. flop Q37. I lead out for 80 and get one caller. turn is an 8, now please somebody, tell me what the hell am i supposed to do here, lead out again or check, and if i check do I fold to a raise? this is why i should just sit out for the first 3 rounds.

bluefeet
06-26-2005, 04:08 AM
Does kinda suck doesn't it? My 2-cents:

4-handed, I prefer to check/call, or check/raise - depending on the betting behind me (....or check/fold). The problem leading out 4-handed 'in the dark' is that you will most certainly get at least one caller -- a draw'r, middle pair, etc.etc.etc. Your probe bet is 1-part defining your hand, 2nd part obtaining information. IMO there is little information to gain leading into a pack....with the exception of a raise, which I would fold to this early in the tourney.

So.....personally, I check. I'd simply call anything near 3/4th the pot, reraise substantially any weaker bet - especially if the bet came early, simply called by another. By giving up the lead here, it is my experience that you will have MUCH more information - at usually a cheaper price - in enabling you to make your decisions.

[Shorter-handed, I don't mind taking the lead here. IMO a full pot sized bet is more appropriate. If I'm met with resistance, I would fold to a raise, check/fold the turn]

handsome
06-26-2005, 04:09 AM
What's the buyin? In most cases you are best off check-folding. You completed with QJ as a drawing hand, and top pair mid kicker is not good enough to put in more chips. I also think leading out is the 2nd best option, then check-raising, and check-calling is the worst.

Benholio
06-26-2005, 05:24 AM
Out of position, I'll generally check this flop, and continue based on the action. Common outcome is check/call small-medium bets on each street unless an Ace falls.

I would raise a min-bet, however, so if you want to trap me go ahead and try the weak-lead...

GrekeHaus
06-26-2005, 05:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Does kinda suck doesn't it? My 2-cents:

4-handed, I prefer to check/call, or check/raise - depending on the betting behind me (....or check/fold).

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this advice a lot, and it's become my standard MO as well. I'll check any mediocre hands that are probably the best on the flop in multiway pots in order to see what happens. If I give out a free card and I then have to check-fold the turn, that kind of sucks, but on the plus side...it's level 1 and at least you won't be screwed.