PDA

View Full Version : Fights that didn't happen that should of.

[censored]
06-26-2005, 03:28 AM
Your ideas for fights that were possible but for whatever reason never occured.

Mine both involve Roy Jones

I would have loved for RJ to stay middle weight and have fought Felix Trinidad, possibly after Trinidad's victory over De La Hoya

Second I really wish after Hopkins beat Trinidad, a rematch with Roy Jones could have been worked out. I think Hopkins had peaked and would have provided a much tougher fight for Jones.

I think Jones would have won both but he was basically my favorite fighter since watching him on USA tuesday night fights way back in HS.

Phoenix1010
06-26-2005, 05:39 AM
I was a big Tito fan back in his heyday, but I think it's pretty clear that Roy Jones would have wiped the floor with him at basically any point in their careers. Trinidad just barely got past De La Hoya, and got destroyed by Hopkins... It would not have been pretty.

I think a Hopkins/Jones rematch would have been very interesting. Hopkins was clearly a much better fighter during the Trinidad fight than he had ever been before. Jones would have still murdered him at that point though.

[censored]
06-26-2005, 05:10 PM
It's too bad Roy was not more concerned with his legacy as he might have sought out these fights which would have made for great events if not fights.

Might as well throw in De La Hoya v. Jones as well as De La Hoya vs. Hopkins.

Also Shane Mosley vs. Hopkins about 2 years ago would have been nice, although I think Hopkins wins.

KDawgCometh
06-26-2005, 06:14 PM
I know its MMA that I am suggesting, but how about Frank Shamrock vs Kazushi Sakuraba. both are now unfortunetly past their sell by date, but 4 years ago that would've been amazing, if they had pulled that off right after the Renzo win, and gave it unlimited time like they did for royce, man, that would've been a classic

Bill Murphy
06-26-2005, 07:14 PM
For us older guys how about Cuevas-Palomino? Natural matchup; prolly woulda sold out the L.A. Coliseum in 1977 or so. One of many screwed up by the alphabet boys, but fortunately all the other big ones happened.

Duran-Ayala Jr. would've happened had Torito not got busted. God only knows what might've gone down before, during, and after that one. Mighta been the bloodiest, dirtiest brawl ever topped off by a full blown riot afterward. /images/graemlins/cool.gif Defo my number one. Woulda been right up there w/Hagler-Hearns & Foreman-Lyle.

They might've been lousy fights but I always wanted Larry Holmes to have unified the title & cleaned out all the trash like Page, Thomas, etc. I always admired Lennox Lewis for wiping the slate clean. Low pay, moderate risk, so I see why Holmes passed, plus the close calls w/Dokes, Weaver, & Spoon prolly made him cautious towards the end.

Historically, Dempsey-Harry Wills might be the number one "shoulda". Promoters & politicians just were not gonna risk another Jack Johnson, not in 1923. Tickets were actually sold but it got called off. Wills was much taller & heavier than Dempsey at 6'3" 210 and he was no bum. A great shame.

youtalkfunny
06-27-2005, 05:17 AM
Watching Mike Tyson duck Riddick Bowe for years was sickening.

jakethebake
06-27-2005, 10:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if you're serious or not. Bowe was never really very good imo. It's too bad we didn't see Tyson/Holyfield earlier though. I think Holyfield was smart not to fight Tyson before he was ready though. And of course by the time he was, Tyson was already beaten.

kyro
06-27-2005, 10:32 AM
Clemens/Piazza

jakethebake
06-27-2005, 10:37 AM
I also wish Spinks/Braxton had happened earlier than it did. Braxton was way over the hill by the time they fought.

06-27-2005, 11:53 AM
46 Cambodian midgets vs a lion.

Indiana
06-27-2005, 12:00 PM
i wanna see Kostya fight pretty boy floyd...Dats the only real fight that would do it for me.

Indy

jakethebake
06-27-2005, 12:09 PM
Roberto Duran/Aaron Pryor

By the way, the Roberto Duran "Official" website has his career as 1967-Present /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jakethebake
06-27-2005, 12:19 PM
Meldrick Taylor - Pernell Whitaker

youtalkfunny
06-28-2005, 05:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if you're serious or not. Bowe was never really very good imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why did Tyson duck him? He was the only guy Tyson ducked.

jakethebake
06-28-2005, 09:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Then why did Tyson duck him? He was the only guy Tyson ducked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bowe didn't even fight professionally until 1989. Tyson lost to Douglas in 1990. And I'd challenge you to recognize a single name amongst the fighters Bowe had fought up until then. I don't think it was a case of "ducking" him. I don't think Bowe was ready, and Tyson was gone by the time he was. I think Tyson/Holyfield was the fight everyone really wanted to see.

imported_The Vibesman
06-28-2005, 11:23 AM
Tyson didn't duck Bowe, it was Lennox Lewis that Tyson wanted no part of. His people paid Lewis 5 million dollars once because Tyson (or his handlers) didn't want to give him his mandatory shot as #1 WBC contender. Riddick Bowe threw his belt away rather than fight Lewis.
Honestly, the Lewis-Tyson fight is the one I would have liked to see, because it would have established Lewis' dominance a lot faster once he handed the little bully his hat. I've never really blamed Tyson, I think his people didn't want Tyson fighting Lewis, rather have him fight easier fights where he could knock guys out in 90 seconds.

edit: also, Ali vs. pretty much anyone for the three years he spent in "exile" from the sport. It's one of the greatest crimes in boxing history that this man had three years of his prime taken from him.

jakethebake
06-28-2005, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Tyson didn't duck Bowe, it was Lennox Lewis that Tyson wanted no part of. His people paid Lewis 5 million dollars once because Tyson (or his handlers) didn't want to give him his mandatory shot as #1 WBC contender. Riddick Bowe threw his belt away rather than fight Lewis.
Honestly, the Lewis-Tyson fight is the one I would have liked to see, because it would have established Lewis' dominance a lot faster once he handed the little bully his hat. I've never really blamed Tyson, I think his people didn't want Tyson fighting Lewis, rather have him fight easier fights where he could knock guys out in 90 seconds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely disagree. Did you see Lewis' early fights? He looked terrible. He was really wild, and nowere near ready. Like Bowe, he hadn't been fighting as a pro for more than a year before Tyson lost to Douglas. I think either of them was a year away from giving Tyson a good fight if Tyson hadn't completely lost it mentally. He may have been the #1 contender, but it was a weight division filled with bums. As i recall, paying Lewis had to do with scheduling. He either already had another fight scheduled, or was trying to fight someone else next that was a bigger payday.

Asufiji2004
06-28-2005, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if you're serious or not. Bowe was never really very good imo. It's too bad we didn't see Tyson/Holyfield earlier though. I think Holyfield was smart not to fight Tyson before he was ready though. And of course by the time he was, Tyson was already beaten.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get the story right...The fight was set and ready to go, but TYSON pulled out cause of an "injury"..then he went to prison.

jakethebake
06-28-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Get the story right...The fight was set and ready to go, but TYSON pulled out cause of an "injury"..then he went to prison.

[/ QUOTE ]

When are you talking about? I'm talking about when Tyson was still champ. There was talk of a fight after Douglas, but Tyson lost. If you're talking about after the Douglas loss, then you might be right but anything after that doesn't really matter. He didn't go to jail until 1992, and he was way past it by then.

Sluss
06-28-2005, 05:13 PM
Jones would have smoked Trinidad in both of their primes. Trinidad had problems when he couldn't get off his big punches.

I would have loved to see Jones Hopkins 2. I think Jones was smart to avoid it though. At that point Hopkins was a far better fighter and Jones had started his decline.

I wonder if Jones was as great of a fighter as he seemed to be. I never really saw him even be tested until his last few fights. Of course that may be because he was so dominant that there was just no one in his class. (I'm sure this would be his answer).

yoadrians
06-28-2005, 06:00 PM
Super Macho Man vs. The second Bald Bull

or

King Hippo vs. The second Don Flamenco