PDA

View Full Version : what is the "cutoff"?

SoBeDude
01-28-2003, 04:02 PM
I'm obviously show my ignorance here, but for the life of me I can't figure out what position is the cutoff.

and its not in the glossary of any of my poker books.

thanks!

-Scott

JohnShaft
01-28-2003, 04:14 PM
The seat to the right of the button.
The cutoffs action is immediately before the button.

Scott, could I also politely suggest that questions like this be posted to the Beginners forum. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

SoBeDude
01-28-2003, 05:45 PM
thank you for the explanation of the cutoff. why is it called such?

as for your other comment, I do not see a "beginners" section, so "general" seemed to be the appropriate place.

-Scott

Tyler Durden
01-28-2003, 05:46 PM
I too have wondered why it is called the cutoff.

The Beginners forum is located at the bottom left, just above Books/Software.

pufferfish
01-28-2003, 06:32 PM
From: jimbrier@my-deja.com (jimbrier@my-deja.com)
Subject: Re: Cutoff
Original Format
Newsgroups: rec.gambling.poker
Date: 2001-01-21 23:12:02 PST

Like the others have stated, the cutoff is the seat just to the right
of the button. The reason it is called the cutoff is because the
player in this seat can raise causing the button to fold ("cutting off"
the button) allowing the player in this seat the privilege of being the
last to act on subsequent betting rounds. I believe poker pro Bob
Ciaffone first coined this term.

Source: web page (http://groups.google.com/groups?q=poker+cutoff&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=94gll2%24tmd%241%40nnrp1.deja.com&rnum=3)