PDA

View Full Version : JJ against over aggressive player

Allan
01-28-2003, 02:41 PM
Hey everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted anything. I'm trying to make the move up in limits right now up to 2-4 and 3-6 online. Anyway here is a hand I played a few nights ago that I wanted some comments on.

The player this was played against had gotten to the table just recently and showed a lot of aggression. Lots of positional raising and running over short handed pots. I had yet to see one of his hands in a showdown simply due to the weak nature of the table. He open raises 2UTG. This is one of his first EP raises, most of what I'd been seeing was isolation raises preflop and bluff semi/bluff raises on later streets against 1 or 2 lone opponents. It gets folded to me in the BB with J /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif J /forums/images/icons/heart.gif and I only call.

The flop comes A /forums/images/icons/club.gif Q /forums/images/icons/club.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif I check call

Turn is 4 /forums/images/icons/club.gif I check call

River is K /forums/images/icons/club.gif I check call

Thanks for any comments,
Allan

bad beetz
01-28-2003, 02:53 PM
I don't think this is the board to be doing this with.

I like check/calling thrice against an over aggressive opponent, but usually with middle pair or a strong ace or king and a not-that-scary board.

I think you have to fold when he comes again on the turn. Anything he could preflop raise, then semi bluff with just got there except maybe red 77-TT

This would have been easier to play with a preflop three-bet or a flop raise in my opinion.

mojolang
01-28-2003, 05:16 PM
Overly aggressive player huh? Well, I would reraise the flop. If he reraises, you would four-bet or call and see what happens. The play afterwards is to induce a bluff. If he bets on the flop, raise. Assuming he isn't a maniac, he will call and check to you If he reraises, you're done with the hand. On the river call if he bets, or bet if he checks. This will win you the most in the long run. You say he is making moves like isolation raises and running over the table, sounds like it might be a tough player so a fold for a reraise on the flop migh be in order. Otherwise, if the K came before the four and it was a tough player, I might try for a semi-bluff raise. With that fourth club he might think twice. Just some ideas, I think you may have played the hand too timidly. By checking and calling you put yourself into a guessing mode. This is not a winning way to play poker.

That's just my two cents.

Joe

ZManODS
01-28-2003, 05:27 PM
Sound like youre player may be on a high pair or possible an A(KQJ) suited. I agree with Joe that you played youre hand to timidly, you were in guessing mode the whole round. If you think he may be bluffing, try a check-raise to throw off his bluff and at least earn yourself a free card on the turn. I have a strong feeling though you are beat, plz post results.

J.R.
01-28-2003, 05:44 PM
You have to make a move somewhere. I would have three bet pre-flop and check-raised the turn if he raised your flop bet.

Fitz
01-28-2003, 05:44 PM
I'd play this hand a little differently. With an over aggressive raiser, I'd three bet preflop to isolate him and send a message of stength. I'd then bet out on this flop. With this scary flop and the 3 bet from the BB he may well lay it down right here unless he has the goods; if he does, he will probably raise and at least you know where you are right away.

Just my opinion,

Allan
01-28-2003, 08:24 PM
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the responses. My thoughts are pretty consistent with everyones thinking here. I think I misplayed the hand on every street. After I check called the turn I was commited to calling the river even though I was sure I was going to lose the hand. I called to see the hand for the info. I was plesantly surprised to see a red 77. Although I won the hand I believe Iplayed it about as horribly as possible.

Thanks for confirming it,

Allan

bad beetz
01-28-2003, 08:48 PM
maybe it's just me, but check/raising the turn as a straight up bluff sounds a little too aggressive for board. I wouldn't have the nards to try it.

Although I admit it would have worked in this case.

Homer
01-28-2003, 09:08 PM
I would have played the hand is this manner as well, Fitz.

-- Homer