PDA

View Full Version : Trouble playing average-above average stack (please HELP)

pokerlover
01-28-2003, 10:08 AM
When I am playing in tourney's limit or no limit I find that when I have an avg. or above avg. stack I find myself having trouble increasing it and not losing a lot of it on 2 or 3 hands. This would come around in the middle of the tourney when say around 1/2 or so of the field is eliminated. I feel as the blinds and limits go up I have trouble increasing my chips and seem to find myself losing to hands that I am a slight favorite over (pre-flop and flop). I haven't played a million tournaments but I have played about 30 or so. This seems to be the pattern in a good majority of them and was curious to know if anyone could off advice on why this is. All advice is appreciated. If there is any info that will help with advice that I have not given please let me know as I will surely add it.

Thanks!

ohkanada
01-30-2003, 10:38 AM
I would post some examples.

In the middle of the tourney with a decent stack you need to do your share of stealing. If the blinds are still small compared to your stack it is okay to play almost any pair in hopes of hitting a set. If most hands are being raised then that may be tougher to do. Watch the players who seem to be raising too often and attempt to resteal with hands that you would normally muck. For example AJ is a monster against someone who steals everytime from the button/cutoff.

Ken Poklitar

pokerlover
01-30-2003, 10:55 AM
Good Advice. It seems that even if I get a hand say J-J or A-Qs, a very unfavorable flop comes and I am forced to give up on the flop or turn. I will occasionally try to move someone off a hand by coming over the top with less of a hand and it will work a good majority of the time. It also feels like I am being drawn out on fairly often when I do have the better hand pre-flop and even flop. I feel my betting is correct in sizes. In no-limit 3-4xBB and pot sized on the flop if I bet or if my stack isn't too large than all in. I think I do need to loosen up with my raises when nobody has yet entered the pot and try to do more stealing and be more aggresive when somebody try's to steal.