PDA

View Full Version : Multi-tabling question, how many are enough?

Smoothcall
06-25-2005, 10:26 PM
If you are getting rakeback from a site how important is it to play as many games as possible? I have multi-tabled 4 easily. But since i'm getting the rakeback i'm trying loading up on 6 or 7. Do i stand to make more in the long run playing more games? Especially with the extra rakeback for 2 or 3 more games beside the hourly for each game. Or is it conceiveable i could make less money playing too many games by making mistakes such as getting timed out with a winning hand. Or acting impulsively and making a bad play do to being more rushed.

What do you guys think?

sublime
06-25-2005, 10:32 PM
keep adding tables until you feel like you cant handle any more.

Smoothcall
06-25-2005, 11:01 PM
But what determines not being able to handle anynmore? Should you never play more to where you get timed out on occasion? Or is being timed out once in while to be expected and still worth because of rakeback and more games meaning more games to earn more an hour.

sublime
06-26-2005, 12:15 AM
But what determines not being able to handle anynmore?

you determine it. fwiw, if it got to the point that i was being timed out on tables, it probably meant i was well past the point of having to many tables up.

basically, play as may as you can without wanting to punch yourself in the cock and dont sweat it. micromanaging stuff like this is wasting braincells.

JasonP530
06-26-2005, 01:30 AM
The problem is not so much in being rushed or timing out, as having reads on players and learning the texture of the tables. Seeing what has happened in previous hands is important.

Smoothcall
06-26-2005, 09:43 AM
yes that to.

4thstreetpete
06-26-2005, 10:39 AM
why don't you focus more on playing better poker at limits you're comfortable with? You'd make much more from playing good poker than you will from getting rakeback.

Smoothcall
06-26-2005, 11:04 AM
Yes this was the other reason i asked the question kinda. I mean i'm not playing at limits i'm not cpomfortable with. In fact i'm playing smaller because i opne 6 or 7 games. But is it more wise to play6 higher and less games? Or is it more wise to continue the smaller extra games. With the smaller games the bankroll requirements are probably smaller specially with extra rakeback. But what would make more money? 4 of a higher limit or 7 of the smaller limit.

Sponger15SB
06-26-2005, 11:42 AM
ok...

1 table = 3bb/100 = 1.8bb/hr
2 table = 2.5bb/100 = 3bb/hr
4 table = 2bb/100 = 4.8bb/hr
8 table = 1.25bb/100 = 6bb/hr
16 table = .75bb/100 = 7.2bb/hr
32 table = .45bb/100 = 8.64bb/hr
64 table = .2bb/100 = 7.68bb/hr

This is just an example, but if you were this person you should stop adding tables at your 32nd table.

Smoothcall
06-26-2005, 03:25 PM
Ok i'll try not to go over 32 thanks. And i was gonna buy that computer room at nasa so i could do 64. Good thing you let me know ahead of time! But seriously thanks for the info. Are those pretty accurate for most people or only if you're not timing out and making mistakes? So i should go for as many as humanely possible as long as i'm not timing out all the time right?

Justin A
06-26-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok i'll try not to go over 32 thanks. And i was gonna buy that computer room at nasa so i could do 64. Good thing you let me know ahead of time! But seriously thanks for the info. Are those pretty accurate for most people or only if you're not timing out and making mistakes? So i should go for as many as humanely possible as long as i'm not timing out all the time right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Those aren't accurate at all. He just made them up to show that you should be playing the number of tables that maximizes your earn per hour.

ASD99
06-26-2005, 06:04 PM
Yes the answer to this question is actually a pretty easy one. It is true that the more tables you play the more money you will supposedly win. However, what you have to realize is that it will only work if you are a expert player who doesn't go on tilt and can remain extremely focused at all times. Playing more then 4 tables at once has many advantages and the simple disadvantages of timing out once in a great while or calling when you should have 3-bet etc... is outweighed by the sheer fact that you are seeing 7 or 8x more hands per hour therefore having a higher winrate. I personally can only play 4 tables very well but i have many friends who can 7 and 8 table very efficiently.

Anthony

mike l.
06-26-2005, 07:06 PM
do you really play 16 .50-1 tables at once? can you explain how you do that and what the hell is the matter with you that you would do that? also, shouldnt you be out bodyboarding instead of sitting at your computer this afternoon?

sublime
06-26-2005, 07:09 PM
can you explain how you do that and what the hell is the matter with you that you would do that?

hes probably wondering the same thing about how you can sit with people in a cardroom and listen to them moan about AK never winning.

mike l.
06-26-2005, 07:10 PM
"hes probably wondering the same thing about how you can sit with people in a cardroom and listen to them moan about AK never winning."

but i have a good reason!

im doing it because gabe's son, little michael davis, told me too.

sublime
06-26-2005, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"hes probably wondering the same thing about how you can sit with people in a cardroom and listen to them moan about AK never winning."

but i have a good reason!

im doing it because gabe's son, little michael davis, told me too.

[/ QUOTE ]

good to see ya back mike

Alex/Mugaaz
06-26-2005, 07:34 PM
Most people on 2+2 are anti super multi-tabling. For the most part I think their reasons are incorrect. I really don't learn much, if anything while I'm playing, Almost all my growth comes from looking over the hands when I'm done.

People post reasons like you can't see previous hands as easy, not as many reads, etc. Duh. The question is whether those edges you are giving up is worth the extra hands you can play, period.

Play as many as you can handle, then a few more. Then you can really make up your mind about how many tables is optimaal. FWIW I think multi-tabling ability has very little in common with your skill level. Some people are are very good but just can't make many decisions quickly, others only play fair but can make tons of average+ decisions. It something you can learn, but I think its very genetic dependant.

Playing lots of tables gets you though. It may not be worth it in the long term if it causes you to dread doing it and stop playing.

Kovner
06-26-2005, 07:50 PM
Yes I agree: If you multi table more than 4 tables (which I happen to find fairly slow), you should spend more time reviewing hands away from the table. Every once in a while you shoudl review whole sessions to make sure you aren't making those small mistakes that drop through the cracks and that you wouldn't make as much 4 (or less) tabling.
Anyways, I find 8 tabling 3/6 fairly easy and I never time out. I also use mouseless poker, so that helps. Too bad it didn't catch on much.

Nigel
06-26-2005, 09:09 PM
How does mouseless poker work? I mean what if you are hitting raise right as the windows change focus to another window you have 72o and you 4 bet it? Or is this not possible and I'm understanding how mouseless poker works?

Nigel