PDA

View Full Version : What to do with A2-A7 when an ace flops...

mtdoak
06-25-2005, 09:39 PM
I find myself in this situation alot, in the blind with A4o against a large field. Flop comes AQ5 rainbow, i bet out of the BB, and am raised by a semi loose, semi passive player (like 30/8/1), and calling station calls 2 cold....whats my line from here on out? Just calll down and hope...or is this an easy muck.

Ray Of Light
06-25-2005, 09:51 PM
On a rainbow board (unlikely to have any draws), a player with aggression as low as 1.0 is unlikely to be raising light with second or bottom pair, and A5o is dominated by even the most typically weak Loose Passive starting hands such as A6o, A7o.

Based on the players stats, I would call the raise, looking to improve on the turn.

imported_leader
06-25-2005, 09:53 PM
My general strategy against a large field is to check and see what happens. If it gets checked to one of the last two plays and they bet, I CR and try to clear the field. If it's bet and raised behind me, I have a super easy muck. If it's bet just to your left, what I do depends on the number of callers and my reads.

thejameser
06-25-2005, 09:55 PM
depends on the table, if i think it will check through and LP or button will auto-bet i c/r, usually i bet out hoping someone close behind raises. the smaller the # of people involved the better. try to get it HU if you can. typically call down unless you improve(this is assuming an unraised pot as reverse domination is far more likely in a raised pot).

SmileyEH
06-25-2005, 10:11 PM
Getting to showdown would be my first priority. Saving/Winning bets is 2nd to that I think.

-SmileyEH

ArturiusX
06-25-2005, 11:17 PM
Great you posted this, I just had this situation. Tell me what you guys think:

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks.... (checkraise attempt)

Good?

Master5hake
06-25-2005, 11:25 PM
I like this strategy - I have in the past felt the need to bet out to try to find out if anyone has an ace - but I think the check with a plan to check raise is probably a more effective way to determine if your kicker is any good - it also allows the chance to get out free if the other two aces are out there and its two bets by the time it gets back to you

colgin
06-25-2005, 11:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I find myself in this situation alot, in the blind with A4o against a large field. Flop comes AQ5 rainbow, i bet out of the BB, and am raised by a semi loose, semi passive player (like 30/8/1), and calling station calls 2 cold....whats my line from here on out? Just calll down and hope...or is this an easy muck.

[/ QUOTE ]

If a large field limped in pre-flop as you say I would call if it was still one SB back to me. But I would then check-fold the turn unimproved.

mmbt0ne
06-25-2005, 11:36 PM
I generally don't play A6o from the SB.

SuitedDucks
06-26-2005, 01:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Great you posted this, I just had this situation. Tell me what you guys think:

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks.... (checkraise attempt)

Good?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are we still planning to checkraise if someoen in early position bets followed by 2-3 callers with no raise?