PDA

View Full Version : Howard on 7-stud

plaid
06-25-2005, 09:36 PM
Found the two videos that Howard Lederer gave to Cardplayer on 7-stud to be interesting.

http://cardplayer.com/poker-tournaments/event.php?id=1246&screen=video&video_id=263

(I've played this game since I was a kid in home games, and even after so many years, I still have no clue...so the couple of tips given here I found interesting).

SoftcoreRevolt
06-25-2005, 10:33 PM
Damn, that FTP is mighty fetching.

And it is hilarious how the table and Lederer are decked out in FTP logos while Cardplayer's stuff is sponsored by Bodog.

augie00
06-26-2005, 02:30 AM
Very nice interview. That is pretty helpful stuff for a guy like me who has played about 100 hands of Stud ring games and no Stud tournaments.

Malachii
06-26-2005, 03:20 AM
Howard always has such informative things to say. He could write a phenomonal poker book if he wanted to.

Rosie5
06-26-2005, 04:13 AM
i liked his stud advice as well, mostly about patience. I always played by his mentality but never thought about it. Now that he said it, it makes stud a much more attractive limit game for a beginner (not to say there's no skill) A weak tight player in limit holdem could be fearce in stud or stud 8/B

Also, I always love watching that "Rich Belsky" he has nothing to contribute to any of the conversations so I'm always wondering what question he'll, awkwardly, ask next.

henrikrh
06-26-2005, 05:57 AM
I've never played much 7-stud, but I always thought it was a pretyt action heavy game, where you should play alot of hands. This blew my miscnoceptions out of the water, but I sitll doubt i'll start playing much stud.

Jordan Olsommer
06-26-2005, 06:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, I always love watching that "Rich Belsky" he has nothing to contribute to any of the conversations so I'm always wondering what question he'll, awkwardly, ask next.

[/ QUOTE ]

He reminds me of that timid talk show host Chris Farley used to play on SNL.

"Hey Howard, d-d'you remember that time you got Doyle Brunson to bluff all-in at the World Series when you flopped top set?"

"Yeah?"

"That was great."

TheShootah
06-26-2005, 10:25 AM
No you play less. If a guy with a king up raises, you gotta drop those queens like they are hot. His advice really could have killed some people though. Note that in stud, you can see more exposed cards, so while you are about even money to make the flush if you have four of them on 4th, that is with all the other diamonds live, which rarely happens. If you see a couple other diamonds out, then it gets a little tricky. But I'm sure alot of people will be hurting. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

man
06-26-2005, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No you play less. If a guy with a king up raises, you gotta drop those queens like they are hot. His advice really could have killed some people though. Note that in stud, you can see more exposed cards, so while you are about even money to make the flush if you have four of them on 4th, that is with all the other diamonds live, which rarely happens. If you see a couple other diamonds out, then it gets a little tricky. But I'm sure alot of people will be hurting. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
actually it's assuming no information about the diamonds at all. if a proportionate amount of diamonds are out (1 for every 5 or so?), then you're still like 47% to make it. and if a smaller amount of diamonds are out, then you are more likely to make it.

furthermore I sort of disagree with lederer about tossing two tens.. the king could be part of a 3-straight or 3-flush.. but he's obviously a bit more knowledgable on this matter. (plus, tournament strategy <=/=> cash game strategy.)

Fallen Hero
06-26-2005, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
actually it's assuming no information about the diamonds at all. if a proportionate amount of diamonds are out (1 for every 5 or so?), then you're still like 47% to make it. and if a smaller amount of diamonds are out, then you are more likely to make it.

furthermore I sort of disagree with lederer about tossing two tens.. the king could be part of a 3-straight or 3-flush.. but he's obviously a bit more knowledgable on this matter. (plus, tournament strategy <=/=> cash game strategy.)

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah,that advice about the tens is only for tournaments (or if you're just starting out and want to be extra tight, keep the variance as low as possible, etc)