PDA

View Full Version : One or two bet mistake.

Bob T.
01-28-2003, 12:36 AM
Canterbury Park, loose 6-12 game. Four limpers, The button raises, SB folds, I call in the big blind with A /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif , all call. 6 to the flop for 12 small bets. (rake was paid by the small blind).

Flop A /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 2 /forums/images/icons/club.gif .

I was hoping to trap players on the flop for three bets, so I bet out instead of trying to checkraise. Surprisingly, UTG calls, and everyone else folds. UTG, is loose and aggressive, he has openraised with A9o, and pocket pairs down to 44.

turn Q /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif .

I bet, UTG raises. Now, I think for a couple of seconds, and I decide that he can't have a set, because he has openraised with small pairs 3 or 4 times, and also, he can't have AQ, because he would certainly openraise with that also. So I conclude that he probably has a worse two pair than my hand.

I threebet the turn.

He mucks, Q /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif. After the hand, given my read, I thought that I should have made a 'crying' call on the turn, and then checkraised the river. My mistake was that I had planned on three betting the flop, against what I expected to be a large field. On the turn, I was headsup, against a loose aggressive, opponent, and I should have been looking to trap him to make the most of the hand.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

Clarkmeister
01-28-2003, 12:51 AM
Bob,

Do something about that tightass image of yours that causes LAG's to muck 2 pair headsup in a huge pot.

(Hope that doesn't get me in trouble with the thought police /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif )

Seriously, the call-checkraise is perfect given your read. But since you describe your opponent as a LAG, then I find it hard to imagine that you thought he would fold right there. In all seriousness, did you think he was capable of making that laydown? Does it have something to do with your table image? If people are tossing 2 pair against you in situations like this, then you should in all likelihood be relieving them of their rightful pots whenever possible until they catch on. Dial up your postflop aggression a few notches.

gl

Bob T.
01-28-2003, 01:18 AM
This was in the middle of about four hours of looking at 73 offsuit, T2 offsuit, I think I held 4 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif , four hands in a row, etc., and this was one of a very few hands that I did play. I think a loose player playing in my seat might have gotten a tightass image. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

You are right, though, I never believed that he would have laid down two pair. He actually didn't show his hand originally. He said, 'I fold two pair', and I said 'Really?' and then he reached back out and showed his hand.

I actually like my tightass image most of the time, because I know that if I have cards that I can get involved with, I can win a lot of pots without showdown, where, I am very certain that I did not have the best hand. One group of guys that play at Canterbury, call me 'the Vegas guy' because they say that I play as aggressively as guys in Las Vegas do. I figure that that is a real tribute to your and Dynasty's advice.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

hutz
01-28-2003, 10:19 AM
You left out an option -- zero bet mistake. As Clarkmeister said, if your read on the guy is that he (1) is loose-aggressive and (2) has a pretty strong hand but one you can beat, then pop him again and expect to get paid off a lot of the time. Clark's also 100% right that if your image is so tight that L-A players are folding two pair heads-up against you, then there are (semi-)bluffing opportunities galore for you at that table!

Lest this be dubbed a spam/"me too" post, it reflects exactly what I was thinking as I read your initial post and before I got to Clarkmeister's. It just so happens that Clarky has a couple of extra time zones on me and was replying while I was snoozing. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

STOSH1
01-28-2003, 02:23 PM
You said he was loose aggressive, not a maniac. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
The "poker conversation" on the turn seems to be:

You: "Bet, the Q don't scare me, I have an A"
Him: "Raise, I can beat your A"
You: "Re-raise, I have your 2 pr beat"
Him: "If you have a Q or 6 with your Ace I'm drawin'dead, fold"

I'd say you got as much out of the hand as you could without letting the table draw out on you cheap. Would you have been upset if he was betting a heart draw that got there on the river when you didn't re-raise? /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

PS: Did you start as a stud player? I did and in "trapping" players to call to the river, I lost more hands to impossible suckouts when I first switched to HE.

Bob T.
01-28-2003, 04:42 PM
You are right about my opponent, he was loose aggressive, not either an idiot, or a maniac. One of the points of this post, is that just because a player doesn't play preflop, the way you think he should, does not mean that he is defenseless at the table.

PS: Did you start as a stud player? I did and in "trapping" players to call to the river, I lost more hands to impossible suckouts when I first switched to HE.

No, I am primarily a holdem player, with some 0maha/8 thrown in. I joke that I am the 8th worst stud player on the planet, and when they get the other seven guys together, I am ready for that game. The second point of my post is that I was playing headsup at this point, not against a field. My opponent was on a two outer to beat me, it is okay to slowplay, when your opponent has this few outs, and you can extract extra bets from him.

The conversation should have gone more like this from the turn on.

Me: I still have that Ace that I bet on the flop.
Him: I can beat your Ace.
Me: I want to see another card then.

river.

Me: Check.
Him: I can still beat your Ace.
Me: after further evaluation, I can beat your hand.

If on the turn, it was three handed, I bet, and then he raised, and the other player coldcalled, then it would clearly be right to raise again, because the coldcaller would likely be drawing to the flush, and I want to charge him now, because if he misses, he won't pay another bet on the river.

The final point that I was trying to make with this post, is that, I made a good read, I was ahead, but I didn't think through the play enought to make the play that would win me the most money.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

STOSH1
01-28-2003, 05:53 PM
I see your point. I've never been able to put a player on that exact a hand to not ram & jam a possible flush draw if I have the high pairs. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif If it get to heads-up can you dismiss the flush draw? If you're wrong, oops thats poker but you still have +EV ignoring the flush draw? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

PS: I've played stud for about 30 yrs, much newer at HE. Just trying to figure how to beat you youngsters. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

Bob T.
01-28-2003, 06:59 PM
In this particular session, I had a lot of time to watch, see my reply to Clarkmeister above.

I wouldn't put everyone on this hand, but I would put this player on two pair here. It just fit very well with all of his earlier play, especially since he was very aggressive when he was first in to a pot, and he wasn't aggressive in this case, so I was able to eliminate some of the hands that beat me. AA, QQ, 66, and AQ. I was a little worried about 22, but I thought that since he openraised in EP earlier in the session with 44, that he would probably open raise 22 also.

Headsup, the flush draw would have a potential semibluff, except that the pot is moderately large, and I am not likely to fold in this spot. I am also likely to bet the river, regardless of the river card, except for a queen which will counterfeit my two pair, and call a raise, so if he has the flush draw, he will make the same money by calling and raising the river, but he will lose less if he misses by calling and folding to my river bet.

I've played in home games for a long time (maybe 30 years, ugh), but have been playing holdem in cardrooms for only about 3 years. So I don't think anyone is going to mistake me for one of the young guys. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.