PDA

View Full Version : Fold equity, Spite call, and some very valuable chips

TheNoodleMan
06-25-2005, 05:04 PM
Last night, I was deep in the depths of poker hell. My DSL started having issuses while I had a set of tables nearing the bubble. After getting reconected, I moved the last of my un-blinded-off chips in, flopped 2 pair and got pwn3d by a straight on the river. With 30 chips to my name and blinds at 100/200 I am just about ready to give up, call SBC and rip them a new one.
I managed to triple up on the powerhouse that is 92o, giving me almost an entire SB. 3 hands later, I double all the way up to t180. As I post the t100, I catch myself thinking, "If I can just get lucky one more time..."

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t4653)
UTG (t1675)
Button (t1492)
Hero (t180)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t600</font>,
<font color="blue"> at this point, I stoped, thought to myself how dumb this player must be, and folded, preserving the most valuable t80 I have ever held </font>
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t1500</font>,
<font color="blue">Beautiful! A spite raise! There is a god! OH DAMN, SURELY THIS FOOL WILL FOLD ALL BUT AA!
</font> Button calls t892 (All-In).

Flop: (t3092) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t3092) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t3092) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t3092

<font color="red"> BB has 7h Th (two pair, aces and jacks).
Button has 6d 6c (two pair, aces and jacks).
Outcome: BB wins t3092. </font>

Six hands later, I had a very satisfying 2nd place finish.
All thanks to gritch11, or as I prefer to call him the God of Spite Calling.
Never underestimate the value of Fold Equity.
<font color="white"> the god of spite calling places a curse on whoever mentions that I would have won the hand </font>

Myst
06-25-2005, 05:07 PM
Actually, its +EV for him, if he knows villain is pushing any two, to call with KK as well, and I think all the way down to 99 as well (correct me if Im wrong guys).

But BB played it smart. I dont pull that move too often unless I know my opposition is capable of folding a hand.

You got lucky. Embrace the moment /images/graemlins/grin.gif

TheNoodleMan
06-25-2005, 05:28 PM
If thats me in the BB, that is an autoraise.
and you can be sure that I enjoyed the moment. Definitely chilled me out after I was ready to embark on a killing spree due to the connection problem.

Phil Van Sexton
06-25-2005, 06:17 PM
Where is the spite call?

Benholio
06-25-2005, 06:31 PM
Yeah I don't see a spite call or a spite raise, just a good bubble move and a bad bubble call.

TheNoodleMan
06-25-2005, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Where is the spite call?

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, technically, its a spite raise.

Phil Van Sexton
06-25-2005, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I don't see a spite call or a spite raise, just a good bubble move and a bad bubble call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the call was fine if you look at the pot odds and the hand range of the raiser. It was his original raise for 40% of his stack that was asinine.

Gramps
06-26-2005, 01:59 AM
O/T, your avatar is one of the funnniest "unintentionally funny" sports pictures of all-time. I almost died laughing the first time I saw it a couple of years ago. That trophy is on its way to a some sort of happy ending....