PDA

View Full Version : I reread TOP, but I still suck on rivers.

SomethingClever
06-25-2005, 02:52 PM
Please tell me what I should be doing here.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, CO folds, Button calls.

Flop: (10 SB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, Button calls.

Turn: (6 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (8 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10 BB

Stormwolf
06-25-2005, 02:55 PM
this river decision should be more towards check-folding than check-calling. the reason is, he will check a 7 and PP's giving you the pot but he will bet all the hands you cant beat(a,q,flush)since there almost no draws your hand is probably no good when he bets

ISF
06-25-2005, 02:56 PM
Id check fold here.

SomethingClever
06-25-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he will check a 7 and PP's

[/ QUOTE ]

Not so sure about this. It seems like every time I check the river after being aggressive on previous streets, I'm bet into.

Surfbullet
06-25-2005, 02:57 PM
IMHO check-call the turn, check-fold the river. There aren't many hands that you are ahead of after he calls the flop, and the Q certainly doesn't help your case b/c he's not folding a hand like KQ.

We'd bet the river if there was some reasonable possibility that a worse hand would call, but that's very unlikely. If you think he'll bluff a worse hand on the river then check-call, but most players will have given up + checked through by that point.

Surf

kidcolin
06-25-2005, 03:41 PM
I think it's a little closer. For one thing, though a flush is a possibility, I'd be dumbfounded on why he didn't raise the turn.
There are some busted draw hands he can beat. KJo or KTo with one club, for instance. Peeled the flop, improved. Missed the river and took a stab at it.

I probably check-call as well, but then wonder why I didn't fold when he shows me QJ or something.

Good thread.

Scotch78
06-25-2005, 04:43 PM
As the hand played out, I would check-call the turn and fold the river unimproved. Without the T /images/graemlins/club.gif I would bet-fold the turn and check-fold the river. I think you're going to be behind on the turn very often, and just as importantly, when the button is behind I don't think he'll call very often. Once it gets to the river, I would check-fold unless you have a solid read that the button is a sponge.

Scott

PS Hold'em Poker has a good section on river play as well.