PDA

View Full Version : 99 PF resistance

dark_horse
06-25-2005, 01:42 PM
table is loose-passive, not to many preflop raises, but lots of cold-callers when there are. i've limped from ealy position. i sometimes raise here but knew i wouldn't thin the field much if i did in this game. is this borderline or perhaps still a clear raise? after it's raised, reraised and then capped, i'm pretty damn sure i'm beat, however if the raisers have the overpairs they represent, i have some pretty good set value as i'll probably get paid off handsomely. but $6 cold to see the flop, i dunno.. thoughts?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, Hero folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 caps</font>, CO calls, BB calls.

cassady
06-25-2005, 02:18 PM
For what it's worth, I would have raised in this position.

Given that you didn't, calling three bets cold just to get to a flop where you have to hit your set to continue is a terrible play. Fold it.

rmarotti
06-25-2005, 02:20 PM
I think you should've raised, but the fold is fine.

dark_horse
06-25-2005, 03:04 PM
yeah it's a pretty obvious fold i guess. do you raise with 88 as well? i guess the only reason i posted this is because of this:

Flop: (14.50 SB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, BB calls, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (10.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $0.5 (All-In)</font>, BB calls, UTG+2 calls.

River: (10.62 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
BB checks, UTG+2 checks.

Final Pot: 10.62 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has Qd 7d (two pair, tens and nines).
UTG+2 doesn't show.
CO has Ad Ks (two pair, tens and nines).
Outcome: CO wins 10.62 BB. </font>

son of a bitch. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Grease
06-25-2005, 03:07 PM
I raise if PF and call the cap back to me.

You have a huge overlay and will get paid off like nobody's business if you flop a set.

Grease
06-25-2005, 03:08 PM
He wasn't calling 3, only two. I agree calling a cap back to you would have been folly, but if it's only two, I'm in there praying for a 9.

dark_horse
06-25-2005, 03:17 PM
yes, if i originally raised, i'm calling the cap. but to call 3 more cold. eh.

calling 2 more after putting in 2 is doubling your investment in the pot.
calling 3 more after putting in 1 is quadrupling your investment.

Jeff W
06-25-2005, 03:30 PM
That is a horrible fold...

8.5:2 on the first two bets

11.5:3 in the worst case

Great implied odds. Why would you fold?

cassady
06-25-2005, 03:40 PM
I'm starting to think I shouldn't post replies before my first cup of coffee in the morning.

Calling two is still too much here in my opinion.

dark_horse
06-25-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm starting to think I shouldn't post replies before my first cup of coffee in the morning.

Calling two is still too much here in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

And when it goes to 3 bets there's a good chance it could get capped behind you after you've called.

dark_horse
06-25-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Anyone else agree with this?

jjacky
06-26-2005, 10:20 AM
i think it is at least close. if you think it gets caped i tend to fold. if you don't think so, a call might be correct.

ecooke
06-26-2005, 11:07 AM
You can raise 99 in this spot PF, but there is nothing wrong with limping. As for calling two more - middle pocket pairs are built for hands with lots of Flop action when you hit a set and this is shaping up to be the case here. With that said, once I have a bet in the pot I will call two more without a second thought. This is a huge +EV play, the pots won will be very large and easily make up for the additional couple of SB required to see the first three cards. You will also be able to release quite easily when you miss.
You are right on about getting paid off handsomely.

mtdoak
06-26-2005, 12:29 PM
Eh, the pot is too big to fold with a hand like 99. If they both have a hand like AK or AQ, your a slight favorite, and even if they don't, the chance of flopping a set here makes it hard to fold. I've found a good rule of thumb for poket pairs is you need to be getting 5-1 for a preflop call to be profitable, which your getting here.

flawless_victory
06-26-2005, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Anyone else agree with this?

[/ QUOTE ]not raising first in is insane to me, but not an absolutely terrible play. folding for two back to you with the BB in is an undisputably bad play. very easy call.