PDA

View Full Version : Question on a play

The_Missile
06-25-2005, 01:18 PM
[2-table tournament, hero is chip-leader at his table, UTG is short stack]
[Each chip is of equal value, blinds are at 2-4]

Hero is dealt 6d 8h in the big blind:
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, button calls, SB folds, Hero raises to 8, UTG calls, button folds, SB folds.

Flop: 5 7 9 rainbow
Hero checks, UTG checks

Turn: J hearts (rainbow, no flush draw possible)
Hero checks, UTG bets 4, Hero calls

River: K
Hero checks, UTG bets 4, Hero moves all-in, UTG folds

Did I slow-play my straight properly? Should I have bet out the flop and/or turn? Now, the person I check-raised is very tight and I think he had top pair, but should I have bet the flop or turn to extract more chips having flopped the straight?

DemonDeac
06-25-2005, 01:23 PM
even though ur chipleader, that is a god awful raise. ull be OOP the whole hand. theres not even enough blinds/limps to even attempt to pick this one up.

as to how u played, lead the flop. looked ragged and someone may put u on the cont. bet bluff

The_Missile
06-25-2005, 01:26 PM
I assume you're referring to my pre-flop raise...

My thinking there was that I was at a table where the three players to my right had all folded the small blind twice with good-size stacks, unwilling to defend their hand, and I knew I could bully around the button and the small blind. Retrospectively, it probably wasn't a very good raise, but I knew that UTG+1, button, and SB could be pushed around, and given the fact that UTG was short-stacked, I could possibly steal some chips by raising with a bad hand out of the big blind.

time_is_now
06-25-2005, 01:32 PM
don't go all in on river...raise min...?? how many total chips did each have?

The_Missile
06-25-2005, 01:37 PM
Everyone started out with 45, I had about 115, he had, if I recall correctly, 12 going to the river.

jpg7n16
06-25-2005, 06:57 PM
dont raise so large on the river... raise the largest he might call if he's already short-stacked...

if he folds he folds (which would happen anyways)

and if he calls, he's just in that worse a position.

If you think he'd call the rest of his chips, then that raise was fine.