PDA

View Full Version : Severe jaw pain... what to do?

SomethingClever
06-25-2005, 01:00 PM
So, I've had some issues with grinding my teeth at night before that resulted in minor jaw pain.

I got one of those night guards, but I never wore it much because I actually found myself grinding more when it was on.

Flash forward a couple years to yesterday. I wake up with a slightly sore jaw on the left side, nothing major.

During the day it gets worse. I play basketball at 1:30, and when I'm done, the pain is markedly worse.

It gets worse all night until I go to bed, at which point it's excruciating. When I close my mouth, it's like the right side touches first, so it feels like my bite is all messed up.

It feels mildly better this morning... should I wait it out until Monday, or do I need to see a doctor pronto?

jakethebake
06-25-2005, 01:08 PM
You have TMJ. It sucks. My wife's had it ongoing for years. I've had it briefly in the past. I used a mouthguard to stop me from grinding in my sleep. It took care of it.

balkii
06-25-2005, 01:08 PM
you should see an alexander technique teacher. TMJ and the grinding are a result of improper tension in your body and neck. you have to learn how to get rid of the tension.

OtisTheMarsupial
06-25-2005, 01:40 PM
Yes, what they said. You need to see a good mouth doctor (dentist).

Dangergirl
06-25-2005, 01:40 PM
My boyfriend has it also, he went to see a doctor and the mouthguard has really helped. It takes away his pain and headaches. Try to avoid things like gum.

-Skeme-
06-25-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When I close my mouth, it's like the right side touches first, so it feels like my bite is all messed up.

[/ QUOTE ]

This happens to me once in a while. I grind my teeth and bite down a lot, sometimes it shifts out of place and I have like.. a sideways overbet. It's weird and very frustrating. Only slightly painful, though. I just stop messing with it and it goes away the next day.

greenage
06-25-2005, 03:07 PM
In addition to seeing a dentist ASAP, you might try taking a good calcium supplement.

I had this so bad that I cracked a molar and the calcium supplement eliminated the problem.

shakingspear
06-25-2005, 05:04 PM
I had TMJ but didn't need a mouthguard. They gave me some type of medication and it helped.

They did say if the meds didn't work I'd have to start wearing a guard. Never came to that, though...

jakethebake
06-25-2005, 05:09 PM
That's kinda weird to me. I woulda thought it the other way around.

[ QUOTE ]
I had TMJ but didn't need a mouthguard. They gave me some type of medication and it helped.

They did say if the meds didn't work I'd have to start wearing a guard. Never came to that, though...

[/ QUOTE ]

shakingspear
06-25-2005, 05:13 PM
Yeah, I thought I was definitely getting a guard. I don't think my case was very severe. My jaw would lock up sometimes when chewing or talking, but nothing real bad.