PDA

View Full Version : "Sweet Melissa"

Rushmore
06-25-2005, 11:40 AM
I'm not sure why, but the Cingular Wireless commercials which prominently feature the song "Sweet Melissa" get on my nerves to no end.

I mean, they make it a point to drop the voiceover right when the guy sings the words "Sweet Melissa." What the hell does some broad named Melissa have to do with cellphone service?

I hate it when sh*t like this bugs me so much. It makes me feel like a nit, but it's just so annoying.

Maybe it's time to get rid of the television machine entirely.

Note: the Grossly Inappropriate Advertising Song Phenomenon seems to have begun most notably with the cruise line that used Iggy Pop's "Lust For Life." So it's gone from the moronic to the abject, so far as I can see, and I'm not sure if that's an improvement or not.

hoopsie44
06-25-2005, 12:51 PM
Kind of sad when you see these artists or their publishing companies sell the rights to these songs just to make a buck. I like "CSI", but I don't like the fact I hear "Who Are You" when it starts.

jakethebake
06-25-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Kind of sad when you see these artists or their publishing companies sell the rights to these songs just to make a buck. I like "CSI", but I don't like the fact I hear "Who Are You" when it starts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't understand this attitude at all. Don't you think fame & riches is part of the whole rock & roll dream? Don't you think these people write songs for people to hear and enjoy? Why wouldn't they want their music heard on a TV show? I've always thought this idea was weird.

hoopsie44
06-25-2005, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I really don't understand this attitude at all. Don't you think fame & riches is part of the whole rock & roll dream? Don't you think these people write songs for people to hear and enjoy? Why wouldn't they want their music heard on a TV show? I've always thought this idea was weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

In many cases the people who write the songs aren't actually selling the rights to use the songs. Jacko owns the Beatles catalog and I know McCartney is not happy with some commercial uses in which his and Lennon's songs have been used. Not sure if The Who own rights to their songs but I just don't think Roger Daltrey and Peter Townsend think of "CSI" as part of living the rock and roll dream.

jakethebake
06-25-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In many cases the people who write the songs aren't actually selling the rights to use the songs. Jacko owns the Beatles catalog and I know McCartney is not happy with some commercial uses in which his and Lennon's songs have been used. Not sure if The Who own rights to their songs but I just don't think Roger Daltrey and Peter Townsend think of "CSI" as part of living the rock and roll dream.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I suppose they shouldn't have sold the rights to begin with. Why did they sell them? $$$

KDawgCometh
06-25-2005, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I suppose they shouldn't have sold the rights to begin with. Why did they sell them? $$$

[/ QUOTE ]

they might not have sold the rights. How it works is like this, every 20 years songs are up for rights renewals. Most of the time, the estate(if the artist is dead) is able to renew the catalouge without any problems, but sometimes third parties come in and purchase the rights because they bid more than the estate can afford. The most perfect case of this is the Beatles catalouge in that the record company sold it to jacko because they are the ones who control who gets the rights in court. So its not neccessarily a garuntee that big acts have the rights to their songs

hoopsie44
06-25-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, they sold the rights for large sums of $$$ and I have no sympathy for mega-billionaires like McCartney. Just from a personal viewpoint when I hear a song I like being used to push product, it seems crass and nickel and dime.

jakethebake
06-25-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
they might not have sold the rights. How it works is like this, every 20 years songs are up for rights renewals. Most of the time, the estate(if the artist is dead) is able to renew the catalouge without any problems, but sometimes third parties come in and purchase the rights because they bid more than the estate can afford. The most perfect case of this is the Beatles catalouge in that the record company sold it to jacko because they are the ones who control who gets the rights in court. So its not neccessarily a garuntee that big acts have the rights to their songs

[/ QUOTE ]

It's 50 years.

Rushmore
06-25-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I understand your point, I was trying to make a different point.

"Who Are You" is a perfect song for CSI. It makes sense, forensics, identifying a body, etc.

"Lust For Life" is a song about heroin addiction. Unless the name of the cruise company is "Junkie Cruises, Inc.," I don't imagine it's really appropriate.

"Sweet Melissa" is just some dumb not-at-all-good song about some dumb broad, and couldn't possibly have anything to do with cellphones. This alone is not enough to get my nittish nature up. It's the fact that they so prominently feature the "...sweet Melissa" part as the sort of advertising punchline.

At least "Lust For Life" was just the stupid ad company not taking the time to read the lyrics.

For instance, I have no problem with Zeppelin's "Rock and Roll" being used in those Cadillac ads because it's more about the music (and Plant's annoying wailing), so it makes sense.

OtisTheMarsupial
06-25-2005, 01:42 PM
I don't know what you're talking about.
I don't have one of those television machines.

Bigdaddydvo
06-25-2005, 05:48 PM
This commercial has gotten on my nerves as well.

Other mentionables: Those damn Vonage commercials whoohooowhooohooohooohooo over and over.

That KIA one where everyone takes turns driving the SUV.

All horrible.