PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on this Civic deal

Cream Soda
06-25-2005, 11:10 AM
I was lookin around for a Honda Civic and I found this, any opinions? Good deal? Better to just buy new? This is from an individual seller not a dealership (is it risky to buy from someone rather then a dealership?)

-2005 Honda Civic LX
-$14.950 (or best offer)
-Automatic
-Less than 3,000 miles

I don't know too much about cars so I wanna get as many opinions as possible, thanks.

jakethebake
06-25-2005, 11:14 AM
I just recently drove a 2005 Civic rental and it was the biggest piece of crap I ever drove. Maybe it was just the one i got, but I was the first driver of the car (it had 7 miles on it). I hated it. That's my $.02 on the car itself.

Buying from an individual is fine. Since it's a 2005, it should still be under warranty. Make sure this is the case. Also make sure you get the CarFax on it to make sure it hasn't been wrecked. Even if they seem fine, they're never the same once badly wrecked. Make sure to ask the seller why they're selling it.

EDIT: And make sure you check the bluebook on it. And haggle with the seller. Don't ever pay the asking price.

Cream Soda
06-25-2005, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the response jake.

The guy whos selling it is English and he said he got the car for his daughter but she went back to England and now he has 5 cars. And yes the car is still under warrenty.

zephed
06-25-2005, 12:29 PM
If the gap between body panels is uneven, too wide, or narrow, it may have been involved in an accident.

OtisTheMarsupial
06-25-2005, 01:47 PM
get a civic hybrid instead

Cream Soda
06-25-2005, 06:15 PM
jake what makes you say the one you drove was a piece of crap?

I checked the bluebook on it and its $15,100.

jakethebake
06-25-2005, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just really really really didn't like the way it drove. It had no pick-up at all, and the handling just felt weird. Like i said, though, it may have just been the one i drove. I mentioned it to a friend of mine who has one, and he still really likes his.

mostsmooth
06-25-2005, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was lookin around for a Honda Civic and I found this, any opinions? Good deal? Better to just buy new? This is from an individual seller not a dealership (is it risky to buy from someone rather then a dealership?)

-2005 Honda Civic LX
-$14.950 (or best offer)
-Automatic
-Less than 3,000 miles

I don't know too much about cars so I wanna get as many opinions as possible, thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
you could get a new one for that price i think,or very close to it
new (http://www.edmunds.com/new/2005/honda/civic/100468529/prices.html)
or you could get a new corolla for less for sure

Cream Soda
06-25-2005, 06:56 PM
I was also thinking about buying new, but alot of people have said its a better deal to get a used "almost new" car. Assuming I can save $2k or so, how do you think that compares to buying new?

jason_t
06-25-2005, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

-2005 Honda Civic LX
-$14.950 (or best offer)
-Automatic
-Less than 3,000 miles

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought my new Honda Civic LX Sedan for less than this although I got a great deal. I love my car.

zephed
06-25-2005, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just really really really didn't like the way it drove. It had no pick-up at all, and the handling just felt weird. Like i said, though, it may have just been the one i drove. I mentioned it to a friend of mine who has one, and he still really likes his.

[/ QUOTE ]
They are rev to the moon before you get power engines. Not a whole lot of low-end torque.

climber
06-26-2005, 12:10 AM
www.edmunds.com (http://www.edmunds.com) is good for researching prices on new cars--inlcudes dealer incentive stuff that is going on as well as invoice and what people are usually getting.

looks liek you could prob get taht car new for 15,900. I'd do that for piece of mind nd 0 miles and chice of color. If he wants to sellit to you for 13500 or 14000 then prob cool.

scrub
06-26-2005, 12:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I just recently drove a 2005 Civic rental and it was the biggest piece of crap I ever drove. Maybe it was just the one i got, but I was the first driver of the car (it had 7 miles on it). I hated it. That's my $.02 on the car itself.

Buying from an individual is fine. Since it's a 2005, it should still be under warranty. Make sure this is the case. Also make sure you get the CarFax on it to make sure it hasn't been wrecked. Even if they seem fine, they're never the same once badly wrecked. Make sure to ask the seller why they're selling it.

EDIT: And make sure you check the bluebook on it. And haggle with the seller. Don't ever pay the asking price.

[/ QUOTE ]

The civic isn't a particularly powerful car to begin with, and it's much less powerful if you don't keep the revs high enough.

I wouldn't want to drive a civic without the EX engine or a stick, but I'm extremely happy with the manual EX I just bought. It took a few weeks to get used to the higher revs, though.

scrub

cpitt398
06-26-2005, 12:40 AM
I have had a Civic EX for almost 3 years now. Great car no problems. I got mine new (2002) during the summer of 2002 for 14995, so if you wait a month or so you can probaly get a better one new for the same price.

Before this car I had a thunderbird supercoupe (3.8 six cylinder with a supercharger) so getting used to the power difference took a little bit. But in reality I don't really need a fast car and the problems that go along with it.

zephed
06-26-2005, 05:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
getting used to the power difference took a little bit. But in reality I don't really need a fast car and the problems that go along with it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Like what, speeding tickets?

scrub
06-26-2005, 06:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
getting used to the power difference took a little bit. But in reality I don't really need a fast car and the problems that go along with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Brutal gas costs, higher insurance premiums...

scrub

sublime
06-26-2005, 06:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

getting tested for STD's after your hanglow itches from the skank who dug your fast car.

scrub
06-26-2005, 08:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

getting tested for STD's after your hanglow itches from the skank who dug your fast car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ni han, sir, ni han.

scrub

Biloxi
06-26-2005, 09:03 AM
If bluebook is 15k dont settle for more then 14,400 and a full tank of gas.
Thats if you decide to stick with the civic, there are much better options for that money. and buying new is pointless