PDA

View Full Version : Super System Revisited #3

AmericanAirlines
01-27-2003, 04:16 PM
A long lost friend once said to me that there are some falsehoods in Super System that are now well known... and that the only remaining controversy is whether Doyle wanted those errors in the book on purpose, or whether they were mistakes.

Anywone know what she was talking about exactly? Seems it had something to do with middle connectors... but I'm not sure.

Also, folks say this book is out of date, but seems that most of the observations about particular hands would be true regardless of limits, blinds etc. Anyone care to say what's incorrect for todays games?

Sincerely,
AA

Pringle
01-27-2003, 04:37 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Also, folks say this book is out of date, but seems that most of the observations about particular hands would be true regardless of limits, blinds etc. Anyone care to say what's incorrect for todays games?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you and I fell into the same trap. When most people review Super System today (e.g. Mason), they say words to the effect of "It's great!... but some of the material is dated." That's a very accurate review, but misleading in the sense that the first part of that one sentence review is much, much more important than the second. True, some of the material is dated, but a lot of it is still dead on good poker talk. My biggest regret is waiting so long to buy this great book because "it contains dated material."

As far as what exactly is different, not a whole lot. The draw poker and razz sections are probably still accurate, but draw poker and razz aren't spread too much outside of home games. Even most home games are holdemized now. The seven stud section is still good. High-Low split is invariably played with a qualifier (i.e. 8 or better), so a lot of the concepts don't apply, and there is less of an emphasis on reading (high) hands (not to say that it isn't important!) Limit holdem now has two or more blinds, so multiway pots are more often the norm. However, these adjustments should be second nature to those well versed in The Theory of Poker and HPFAP.

Pringle