PDA

View Full Version : I Suspect I Have ADD

JohnnyHumongous
06-25-2005, 04:00 AM
My memory is garbage, I forget numerous things such as the details and specifics of major events and activities I have partaken in. My attention often drifts, I sometimes can't focus on anything and I'll occasionally not hear one single word someone says as they explain something boring to me (this has been embarassing in the workplace). I am a fidgety bastard now, always bouncing my knee or frigging around with pens. I can hardly relax, I am almost bouncing off the walls with nervous energy. This is despite being sleep-deprived almost constantly.

What's the next step for a schmuck like me?

somethingstupid
06-25-2005, 04:13 AM
Get really drunk all the time.

slamdunkpro
06-25-2005, 04:14 AM
I'm sorry what? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

slamdunkpro
06-25-2005, 04:16 AM
This sounds more like Sleep Apnea than ADD. You should get tested at a sleep clinic. I had almost the same symptoms; once they got me sleeping again they went away.

Blarg
06-25-2005, 04:30 AM
Could also be depression, stress, a combination, poor liver function of various sorts leading to the the accumulation or slow clearing of waste products in the blood, or any number of metabolic imbalances. I hate going to doctors myself, but sometimes just being told you're low on some cheap vitamin or mineral or something can result in a simple, cheap, harmless pill or dietary adjustment instantly clearing up some major problems. Blood panels are expensive, but

oreogod
06-25-2005, 04:50 AM
Tom Cruise would tell u to get some Ritalin.

JaBlue
06-25-2005, 06:13 AM
drink jamba juice with a vita boost

wonderwes
06-25-2005, 12:18 PM
85% of the US population has some case of ADD. Mostly its quite minor, but almost all citizens could be treated for it.
Treatment? Who knows. Better sleep, better eating, and maybe more exercise. Will this really work? No clue, but it could not hurt.

Start to eat OC3 Fish Oil though, one a day. 0c3 is a natural recharging ingredient to help sooth/repair/recharge yo brain. Thats why its always recommended to have a steady fish diet. You might notice it makes a difference in stress levels in the long run.

DemonDeac
06-25-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This sounds more like Sleep Apnea than ADD. You should get tested at a sleep clinic. I had almost the same symptoms; once they got me sleeping again they went away.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont think its sleep apnea. thats when u literally stop breathing during sleep for like a minute or two.

but insomnia could be a cause of this

jakethebake
06-25-2005, 12:30 PM
Cut back on your caffeine.

tbach24
06-25-2005, 12:44 PM
Haha, that sounds exactly like me when I'm in classes. I'm gonna try and get some adderral from a doctor guy and I suggest you do the same. It will help with dieting too but may hurt your sleep but you won't notice it.

mason55
06-25-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My memory is garbage, I forget numerous things such as the details and specifics of major events and activities I have partaken in. My attention often drifts, I sometimes can't focus on anything and I'll occasionally not hear one single word someone says as they explain something boring to me (this has been embarassing in the workplace). I am a fidgety bastard now, always bouncing my knee or frigging around with pens. I can hardly relax, I am almost bouncing off the walls with nervous energy. This is despite being sleep-deprived almost constantly.

What's the next step for a schmuck like me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you can't focus on things that don't interest you?? You should really get to the ER or something, this sounds like a pretty rare and sever affliction.

BigBaitsim (milo)
06-25-2005, 01:39 PM
The diagnosis of ADD REQUIRES that symptoms manifest themselves prior to age 8. If you did not have ADD symptoms dating back to the second grade or so, then your problems are almost certainly something else.

Instead of posting to an internet board, seek out a good evaluation. Start with your family doc, and consider seeing a psychologist. These symptoms could be ADD, but could also be depression, anxiety, or any one of a number of other medical or psychological problems.

Dr. Milo

Emmitt2222
06-25-2005, 01:53 PM
Get tested for ADD at a doctor. Adderal is a magical drug and there is nothing wrong with taking it. I myself do not really have ADD, but I am thinking about failing the ADD test so that I can get a prescription.

Vote4Pedro
06-25-2005, 01:53 PM
I tried going to my Dr. hoping to get a prescription of a "study drug" and it failed miserably. He said that if I really had some sort of ADD, I would have noticed when I was a little kid. He recommended that I eat healthier, exercise regularly, and seriously cut back on alcohol consumption. With that being said, I'd do some research and devise a "better" plan to get the goods. I've resorted to buying an occassion pill or two from a friend anytime I really need to sit down and grind it out. Good luck

BigBaitsim (milo)
06-25-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I tried going to my Dr. hoping to get a prescription of a "study drug" and it failed miserably. He said that if I really had some sort of ADD, I would have noticed when I was a little kid. He recommended that I eat healthier, exercise regularly, and seriously cut back on alcohol consumption. With that being said, I'd do some research and devise a "better" plan to get the goods. I've resorted to buying an occassion pill or two from a friend anytime I really need to sit down and grind it out. Good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't do this. For so many reasons.

Your doc is right. ADD does not manifest for the first time in college.

Blarg
06-25-2005, 03:46 PM
Schizophrenia very frequently does though.

Leaving home, growing up, taking on major new responsibilities, and trying to function successfully socially at the same time as directing your entire future imposes a huge strain, and provides a ripe ground for the development or manifestation of problems. Add in often high consumption of alcohol, dope, and even stimulants like excessive caffeine, and the college-age brain is boiling with both growth and the opportunity for things to go wrong.

Depression, anxiety, high blood pressure, poor nutrition, sleep deprivation, and a great deal of stress all can interfere with concentration and memory. Kids are so durable they think they're invincible, but often are putting their mind and body under much more strain than they realize, and sometimes it comes back at them.

A look at your lifestyle by you and or your doctor(s) could reveal all sorts of problems that aren't ADD.

codewarrior
06-25-2005, 04:20 PM
The best way to identify ADD in the non-pre-pubuscent is...

ooh look! A butterfly!

slamdunkpro
06-25-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
dont think its sleep apnea. thats when u literally stop breathing during sleep for like a minute or two.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what it is.... I have it. If you've got it bad enough you get almost the same set of symptoms during the day. I was so bad that I was hallucinating. I couldn’t remember what someone said to me 5 minutes ago and more. The thing is unless you sleep with someone who wakes up; in most cases you don’t know you have it

Gary Stevenson
06-25-2005, 10:32 PM
clearly a question for the "dear bison" thread

climber
06-25-2005, 11:56 PM
i vote for sleep more