PDA

View Full Version : internet explorer help

Prelude008
06-25-2005, 12:34 AM
Hi,

I am a long time explorer user and have never had problems with it until I had my computer upgraded. I added a new motherboard and CPU, a DVI graphics card and new memory. Ever since these upgrades were made I have been getting constant "Internet Explorer Not Responding" errors with the option to end task. Everything freezes up (explorer and web pages) I surf the net while playing poker and it happens 4,5,6+ times a night. Is this common?

The friend who upgraded my computer says that it explorer is buggy and to use firefox. Doesn't make sense since I never had an explorer problem until the upgrade.

Someone at work says that it is possible that some registries (components) of the memory or proccessor may be defective.

I am at a loss. Has anyone had this problem and/or have suggestions on how I can solve them. Thanks!

bohemian
06-25-2005, 01:06 AM
One of million explorer bugs. Really, why not use Firefox. It is safer, cleaner, and has tons of cool free extensions. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

smoore
06-25-2005, 01:07 AM
Did you reinstall XP? Unfortunately, you probably have to reinstall the OS because you upgraded such major components. The OS (no matter what flavor) ties itself to major components like what you have replaced.

If you have reinstalled, take the thing back, something is WRONG with it.

Oh yeah, use firefox /images/graemlins/tongue.gif (you knew that was coming, didn't you?)

Prelude008
06-25-2005, 02:20 AM
Hey bo/smore,

Thanks for the quick reply. The guy did reinstalled XP because he couldn't get the old one to work with the new parts. I'll install firefox (isn't it at downloads.com) and see how that works. If firefox works ok, would you still suggest having my system looked at. I bought the parts from an electronics store. It's a catch 22, they will charge to diagnose it but if I need new parts the computer guy will charge to reinstall. If it's a problem I would perfer to have it fixed. But so far the only problem has been with explorer. I take it you guys use firefox. Thanks again.

JoePro
06-25-2005, 11:49 AM
It could be cheap/incompatible memory. When you buy a new motherboard, you should only use memory recommended by the MB manufacturer. Even better is to buy memory modules that came from the same batch. That's what most major MB manufacturers recommend.

smoore
06-25-2005, 06:25 PM
yeah, I'd say sounds like a crappy memory module. Either that or the guy screwed up installing XP somehow. In any case, it's their fault and certainly not yours (unless you opened the case or screwed up XP somehow). If they won't help you, vote with your wallet and get someone else next time.

edit: if he didn't format the drive before installing XP there could be left over drivers that are incompatible too. Some lazy techs don't format before "reinstalling".

bohemian
06-26-2005, 08:10 PM
If you set up Firefox, I doubt you'll go back to explorer.