PDA

View Full Version : Near the Bubble Strategy - Did I Goof??

learning2fish
01-27-2003, 01:15 PM
Any comments/suggestions gladly welcomed. Thank you.

7 stud online tourney. Final 8 get paid. 10 left and I have shortest stack -- about 1/2 of 9th place and he/she isn't entering ANY hands. 8th place currently has 2x as many chips as 9th place.

Ante's $1,000, bring in $3,000.
I'm UTG w/$37k chips and dealt Kd, Qh, Ad.

I decided to limp instead of raise because the player bringing it in wasn't letting anyone steal. UTG+1 raises. Everyone folds back to me. He/she is showing Jc. I put him on a pair of J's, but a bluff wouldn't have been out of the question for this player. I called, figuring that if he has the J's, I have 9 outs for my overcards.

4th street brings blanks for both of us. UTG+1 bets, I call. 5th street is blank for opponent, Ts for me. This gives me 2 more outs for possible straight (assuming he has 2 J's). UTG+1 bets, I call. 6th street more blanks and another bet from UTG+1. I call and am all in. River blanks. He shows pair of J's and wins.

So.....how could I have played this better? I figure there were several diff ways I could have played it, but not sure which would have been best.

Should I have raised UTG on the deal? I really don't think it would have gotten UTG+1 out.

Should I have reraised UTG+1's first raise, hoping to get a free card or two? I could have then folded when I didn't pair on later street.

How about folding after UTG+1's first raise?

Should I have folded on 4th, 5th or 6th streets? I figured this was my best shot at getting back in - folding would have required a near miracle on next hand.

I appreciate any feedback. Thank you!

Greg (FossilMan)
01-27-2003, 03:07 PM
When you're this short-stacked, you generally want to fold or play the hand aggressively from the beginning. Your first move on 3rd street should've been raise-or-fold. Calling is just out of the question. And, if the bring-in is going to stay in with any hand they hold, either raise anyway and be willing to gamble with the best hand, or fold right now, BEFORE investing any more money in the pot.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

snowman
01-28-2003, 10:00 AM
Raise or fold on all streets, calling till you're all in is week play. Give him a chance to fold by raising. you seem to have made up your mind you were going all in to the river, be aggressive!!!!