PDA

View Full Version : Semi-bluffing in multiway pot

ZManODS
01-27-2003, 12:23 PM
Is it correct to semi-bluff in a multiway pot (say 3-4 people) if youre sure it will drive only 1 person out? Same question if youre sure it will drive at least 1 person out.

Robk
01-27-2003, 04:31 PM
Hey ZMan, I think that Sklansky says numerous times in HPFAP that (in a typical situation)
a semi bluff has to have some chance of winning the pot immediately in order to be profitable,
and that's a pretty good rule of thumb. So if you know only one guy is dropping, it's probably
a bad bet. (If the pot is HUGE, it may be worthwhile though.) I think that the examples in
HPFAP can be misleading to a beginner. (I know they were for me). You have to realize that
betting A2 on a Q 5 2 flop into 6 loose players is suicide. So your second question really
depends on the players (and what they think of you). I reccomend reading the section Heads
Up vs. Multiway of HPFAP to clear up any questions you have.

Bob T.
01-28-2003, 01:26 AM
If you had a hand like bottom pair-nut flush draw, you would have 14 outs to two pair, trips, or a flush. In that case, you would actually have a value bet if you knew that 3 players would call. Usually though, you need some chance that you will win the pot in order to make the semibluff worthwhile.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.