PDA

View Full Version : Why open complete with AT?

betgo
06-24-2005, 09:24 PM
From the $1,500 NLHE event. Why would you open complete with AT? Was the BB very aggressive and Fossilman was playing for a limpraise?

I saw a wealthy businessman open complete with AQ and get in trouble with it in a televised WPT event. If you are going to open complete, a fairly strong ace seems like the wrong hand to do it with.

[ QUOTE ]
Lee has the button in seat 7, Raymer limps from the small blind, and Seif checks his option. The flop comes Ah-5d-3d, Raymer checks, Seif bets $20,000, and Raymer calls. The turn card is the 8h, Raymer checks, Seif bets $50,000, and Raymer calls. The river card is the 8c, Raymer checks, Seif pushes all in for about $185,000, and Raymer calls. Seif shows 4-2 for a flopped straight, while Raymer shows A-10. Mark Seif doubles up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Roland19
06-24-2005, 09:44 PM
Because Greg Raymer is a bad poker player. I don't think he made a single good move at the final table.

ohkanada
06-24-2005, 09:47 PM
Mark Seif is very agressive and would often raise the limped SB hand by Greg. I am sure Greg wishes he played that hand differently.

Ken

ohkanada
06-24-2005, 09:49 PM
And your record is better than Greg's? You have won the wsop main event and cashed in the 3 largest WSOP events EVER, including 2 final tables?

Ken

betgo
06-24-2005, 09:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mark Seif is very agressive and would often raise the limped SB hand by Greg.

[/ QUOTE ]
That makes sense. Fossilman was probably playing for a limpraise.

Roland19
06-24-2005, 09:51 PM
I guess I'm no good at sarcasm. You guys take stuff way too seriously.

bruce
06-24-2005, 09:51 PM
Give me a break to categorize Greg as a bad player!!!!

Obviously this play backfired for him, but limping in this
spot serves two purposes. Firstly if the big blind raises
Greg will come over the top and this will slow the big blind in future similar situations. Secondly he has a strong hand and if he flops big his opponent will not read him for such a hand. If this scenario was played out 1000
times villian would not flop a straight. Greg had incredibaly bad luck to run into a wheel.

Bruce

betgo
06-24-2005, 10:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Give me a break to categorize Greg as a bad player!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did I characterize him as a bad player? I just opened a discussion on an unusual play. I guess I didn't understand that Fossilman is some kind of God whose plays may not be questioned by mere mortals.

Roland19
06-24-2005, 10:07 PM
I'm pretty sure he was talking to me. I was joking. It's all good. Nobody is dead.

ohkanada
06-24-2005, 10:15 PM
Sorry, if you read this wpt forum very often there are a lot of people who take a stab at Greg and others.

Ken

Smoothcall
06-24-2005, 11:58 PM
I disagree. I think Greg played pretty good for the most part. I mean we didnt get to see the hole cards but apart from the A10 hand which was unfortunate. And i would have chose to raise it as Greg was the chip leader and i think should have just raised and picked up the blinds and slowly increasing his stack. As opposed to going for the trap with A10. Although i don't think it was just a trap. It had to do with the fact that Greg knows Mark Seif is a very aggressive player and would be more tempted to come over the top had Greg raised. But whether he raised or called i think it can be played either way at times. Again apart from that hand i think Greg played pretty well. And got the moeny in with the best hand on both his runouts and lost both.

Photoc
06-25-2005, 12:14 AM
I'm not sure how you "open complete" in Holdem. I know you can complete the bet in stud, but in Holdem its check,bet, raise, fold or call. No completing of the bet.

Muisyle
06-25-2005, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure how you "open complete" in Holdem. I know you can complete the bet in stud, but in Holdem its check,bet, raise, fold or call. No completing of the bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you're in the small blind. In which case you complete the blind. But there is definitely no talk of completing the blind of this thread, which makes you completely 100% right! Er...

hotdog da 2rd
06-25-2005, 07:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rekwob
06-25-2005, 07:13 AM
i dont think greg likes esclating pots preflop out of position with a hand that will probably be ahead at the start of the hand, but still needs to at least pair to feel any good about it

betgo
06-25-2005, 10:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i dont think greg likes esclating pots preflop out of position with a hand that will probably be ahead at the start of the hand, but still needs to at least pair to feel any good about it

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with this at all. AT is a big hand heads up. I think he was playing for a limpraise. AT is a good hand to push with on a semibluff.

Unfortunately, Seif got 42o, one hand he couldn't raise with. He felt he was behind whatever junk Raymer was completing with and didn't want to bluff raise. Then Seif flops a wheel. When an ace hits, since Raymer completed, Raymer can't have an ace, atleast with a good kicker, so Seif would bluff an the pot or value bet some low pair. Raymer calls him down.

Rushmore
06-25-2005, 10:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I have one of the most finely-tuned and accurate sarcasm meters available, and I wasn't aware you were being sarcastic.

If you had ended the sentence at "player," I would have known, but when you went on to make the more particular statement about his final table play, my meter's needle swung over to the other side.

FWIW.

Rushmore
06-25-2005, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not the answer.

popniklas
06-25-2005, 10:50 AM
Seriously, there was no possible way for anyone who does not know you to tell that you were joking.