PDA

View Full Version : Go Yankees, Go Indians!

10-15-2001, 02:03 AM
The Yankees will probably be favored tomorrow, with Clemens going at home and Dye out for Oakland, but I would think Mulder has the edge over a not-necessarily-at-100% Clemens.

I've been a Yankee fan since 1960 and this group is the greatest team they've had, greater than the Mantle-Maris-Ford teams of the early '60s and greater than the Jackson-Munson-Guidry-Gossage teams of the late '70s. To have won 4 out of 5 (only the 1936-39 and 1949-53 Yankeess have done better) in the era of 3 levels of playoffs is remarkable. And coming back from an 0-2 deficit, on the road against a team that had won 17 straight at home, especially the nailbiting 1-0 game of Saturday night, is remarkable. Jeter's play in the 7th has to go down as one of the greatest clutch plays in baseball history.

As for the Indians, I don't like Finley's chances tomorrow, but how can you now pull for them against a guy as unlikeable as Piniella? (Yes, I know he played for and managed the Yankees.)

Vizquel and Alomar are the greatest fielders I've ever seen in the middle infield, pure beauty to behold.

Bottom line: Oakland and Seattle will probably win, but I'm pulling for the two other teams.

10-15-2001, 01:06 PM
Andy,

Can't agree with your love of the Yankee's (still have a 'I hate the Yankee's' hankee from Cleveland in the 70s) but of course I'm with you on the Tribe game. Nothing will surprise me today. Indians by 10, Ms by 10, 1-0 win by either team, nothing. Both teams can hit, pitch and catch with the best of them. Interestingly, none of the games has featured both teams playing their best baseball. Might happen today. Go Cleveland!

KJS

10-16-2001, 02:21 PM
Sorry about the Indians. Finley gutted it out pretty well and when they got out of the bases loaded situation after they took him out of the game, I thought the Tribe would win. Alomar strikes me as a cluth player, but he had a bad day.

Like the Yankeees or hate 'em, like the Mariners or hate 'em, it should be a good battle. The 3-time defending champs, reports of their death apparently greatly exaggerated, and a team that won 116 games.

I like Atlanta in the NL, mostly because of their bullpen. They can't hit very well, but the Yankees have been successful with just OK hitting the last few years because their pen has saved them.