PDA

View Full Version : Another Super Blowout

adios
01-27-2003, 06:22 AM
Congrats to the Buccaneers. They have a group of players who've been playing together for awhile and they finally came through. I know the fans are in a great mood as they've suffered through some lean times. Obviously bringing Gruden in helped their offense a lot which was enough to put them over the top with their excellent defense. Even though I picked the Bucs in a thread in the other gambling games forum (I was right for a change) I overrated the chances of the Raiders in this game as did a lot of other folks. A list of random thoughts:

1 - Does Oakland seriously think they can win a championship being one dimensional on offense? Especially when the number one pass defense shows up on the other side of the ball. Oakland had a total of 19 yards rushing in the game.

2 - Hey Rich Gannon, Tampa Bay's D can really close on the ball very fast. You should have figured that out after the 2nd interception.

3 - The coaching matchup was decidedly in favor of Tampa Bay.

4 - Where was Tim Brown? The guy caught 1 pass in a pass happy offense.

5 - It was great to see Jerry Rice at 40 score on long TD pass in this game.

6 - Tampa Bay should be improved on offense next year with Gruden knowing his personel a lot better.

7 - I'm not sure what Tampa's free agent salary cap situation is but if they can keep the core of the team in place they have an excellent shot next year. It is much tougher to repeat.

8 - I'm quite sure that Oakland will try and improve their running game next year but from what I understand they're 50 million over next years cap.

9 - The MVP award is kind of a joke. The whole Tampa Bay defense should have gotten the award. Dexter Jackson made two nice interceptions but the well played defense gave him the opportunity. Old cliche but it's true, it really is a team game. To me if there was one single most valuable player for Tampa Bay it was Rich Gannon.

10 - I like the 1 week in between the conferance championships and the Super Bowl. I didn't follow the media reporting that much leading up to the game so maybe the fact that I didn't hear the real stupid media stories until Saturday had something to do with it (like whether or not Rich Gannon clapped at a team meeting).

11 - What was up with trying 3 two point conversions in a row and failing on every one miserably?

12 - Why challenge a sure loser and burn a time out on the two point conversion?

13 - In all fairness to Callahan, his coaching during the game didn't cost Oakland a victory. Not like Mike Martz did with the Rams last year. Next year should be Martz's last with the Rams.

14 - What's up with trying to move the chains with 25 seconds left in the game and your down 20 points? Give it up. One more play and your down 27 points.

scalf
01-27-2003, 07:58 AM
/forums/images/icons/wink.gif tom..ya know with these blowouts, maybe the way to gamble on super bowl is to give extra points on revised line to get better odds....that is if ya can pick the winner...lol...good points...gl /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

eMarkM
01-27-2003, 01:07 PM
11) Yeah, what's the EV on something like that I wonder? How often does a 2pt get coverted vs probably something like 99% for an extra point. They'd would have had to score 3 TDs and make each conversion to be within a field goal to win vs scoring 3 times, kicking sure things and being within a TD. What are the odds against making 3 2pt conversions in a row. If they just kicked extra pts they would have been down only 10 late in the game instead of 13.