PDA

View Full Version : Oh Suited One-Gapper, How I Love Thee

Chief911
06-24-2005, 04:37 PM
I have 4h6h in the BB. Blinds are 100/200, with an average stack size of around 6k. I have 8k, as does UTG. UTG who is tighty whity raises 3xBB (to 600). The fact that tighty raised UTG, folded around to me making this an autocall for an extra 400.

Agree, or disagree?

Nick

schwza
06-24-2005, 04:42 PM
i would not call, but i think it's probably a good call.

would you be more inclined to call on the button or in the BB here?

dmk
06-24-2005, 04:45 PM
button

Chief911
06-24-2005, 04:45 PM
I'd say position means very little in these types of situations. No?

Nick

gumpzilla
06-24-2005, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not, since if the plan is to stack QQ+ when you hit your sneaky little hand, he'll probably get it in indepenedent of position when he's going to get it in at all.

As for the call, I'm not sure it's automatic but I think it's fine. I like it more with slightly deeper stacks.

schwza
06-24-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

when i flop a flush draw or bottom pair, i'd much rather play it in position. also remember he'll have AK here ~50% of the time, so it's not like we can just lead into a 449 board and guarantee to stack off.

Sluss
06-24-2005, 04:54 PM
Although I often make this call in the big blind (to be sure it will be heads up) I'm starting to think it would be more optimal on the Button.

If there is a tight weak player raising I would want position. I don't want to see AA eating me for lunch. If it is a LAGGY raise I would prefer to be acting first. Well, at last a good LAG that prefers to bet rather than call.

DemonDeac
06-24-2005, 04:57 PM
uve got plenty of chips to call and big implied odds if u hit ur hand. i dont mind the call

Potowame
agree , you can pretty well define his range that the implied odds are very high on the call.

Whitey
I would call here 100% of the time with the stacks in question.

petvan
06-24-2005, 05:17 PM
Hi Chief,

Can you explain this a bit for my benefit? I assume the idea is that you are hoping for flop that hits you in a way UTG doesn't expect while he is a in a position where he will play aggressively, possibly for all his chips if he's on AA/KK/QQ etc?

Seems pretty speculative to me? Are you also thinking that with position, on a flop that misses premiums you can take the pot down with a decent flop bet?

I think I might be missing something here and would love to know what it is.

Thanks

P

Chief911
06-24-2005, 05:27 PM
General idea is, many times when a really tight UTG raises like this, you are almost guarenteed of two things:

1. He has AA, KK, QQ, or AK.
2. He's probably going to get all his chips in the pot by the turn.

So, nothing like two suited low cards to hit something that looks nice and innocent. Post flop, alot of fun things can happen:

1. You whiff, he bets, you fold.
2. You whiff, he checks, but bets the turn and you fold.
3. You hit a pair or a flush draw, and he bets, then you calculate your odds vs. what you know he has, and proceed.
4. You hit hard with two pair, trips, straight, etc. Proceed directly to stacking his chips. Do no pass go, do not collect $200.

The implied odds of his hand makes it a worthwhile call, if the stacks are deep enough. In this case, I think the stacks were BARELY deep enough, and I'm not even really sure that they were.

Nick

schwza
06-24-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. He has AA, KK, QQ, or AK.
2. He's probably going to get all his chips in the pot by the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

1 looks fine, but 2 does not. you may get 1 continuation bet on the flop from whiffed AK, but i don't see the stack going in. what's your plan? check/call flop, check/raise turn?

Chief911
06-24-2005, 05:31 PM
You are right. Not AK. But certienly AA, KK, QQ, and probably AK if he hits an ace.

Nick

Whitey
06-24-2005, 05:34 PM
My requirements for calling here are usually....

The call is less than 10% of my stack

I'm getting 10-1 implied odds for my call.

Do you think this is reasonable?