PDA

View Full Version : terrible way to lose a fight...

VBM
06-24-2005, 04:29 PM
if this is real (http://media.skoopy.com/vids/vid_00629.wmv), the instigator is probably (rightfully) mercilessly goofed on now...

Bradyams
06-24-2005, 04:34 PM
Awesome

Rushmore
06-24-2005, 04:36 PM
Well, we already know he lost a BET earlier, judging from the pants he was wearing.

asofel
06-24-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if this is real (http://media.skoopy.com/vids/vid_00629.wmv), the instigator is probably (rightfully) mercilessly goofed on now...

[/ QUOTE ]

lol....i've only ever seen the brief part where he gets in a stance....nice to see the ending....can you say 'pow'?

bronzepiglet
06-24-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Awesome

[/ QUOTE ]

It would have been funny no matter which one lost.

asofel
06-24-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Awesome

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yea i really thought it was going to be the other way, which would have been hysterical.

bernie
06-24-2005, 04:38 PM
That was too funny. I like how the guy backs off real quick when the guy decides to go after him. All his yappin' stops.

Then he throws punches in that wonderfully, wild swingy motion that we've come to know and love. Whatta mope.

b

Bradyams
06-24-2005, 04:41 PM
Does anyone know if that was an actual style of fighting that kid was using or was he just goofing around?

bernie
06-24-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know if that was an actual style of fighting that kid was using or was he just goofing around?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's probably a low or mid belt at best. But it got the job done.

b

Blarg
06-24-2005, 04:57 PM
Looked like choi lee fut to me. They use those huge looping swings. If you let one of those land, you're in trouble, cuz they pack some power.

asofel
06-24-2005, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]

yep. it reminded me of that video of the karate instructor who had that pimp walk up to him trying to start a fight. he didn't get all into a stance or anything, but when the guy got close, he plants slightly and knocks the guy silly with a backhand strike to the temple. i would have been more impressed if this guy did that instead of goin all crazy with his stances...

asofel
06-24-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Looked like choi lee fut to me. They use those huge looping swings. If you let one of those land, you're in trouble, cuz they pack some power.

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought that was a joke for a sec....like "chow onmi han" or something...it didn't look like his strike had great technique, but you're saying it might have?

jakethebake
06-24-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
People don't drop into a stance that deep when they're messing around. I'm betting he's trained a little.

jakethebake
06-24-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Awesome

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the best part.

VBM
06-24-2005, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought that was a joke for a sec....like "chow onmi han" or something...it didn't look like his strike had great technique, but you're saying it might have?

[/ QUOTE ]

apparently Blarg isn't just being funny. (http://www.answers.com/topic/choy-lay-fut)

to wit... ...it is also makes extensive use of long, swinging arm techniques and twisting body motions...

Blarg
06-24-2005, 05:13 PM
No, I'm not saying that he's a great fighter, although everyone looks MUCH worse fighting for real than he does dancing around in the gym or sparring his buddies.

Just noting that he wasn't doing something totally nuts or fighting totally like Jerry Lewis or something. That kind of windmill punching with both hands is actually something you see here and there in there in some styles of kung fu, choi lee fut(or choy li fut or however it's being spelled this month) being the one most people would instantly identify with that kind of punching.

With that punch, hitting with the forearm is okay too, and it really can generate more power than you'd think. That's why the guy went down instantly with one punch, not that the guy throwing it was necessarily that good.

Both guys let each other get in close enough and hang around long enough that if either of them were to throw a punch, even telegraphing, it would be almost guaranteed to land. Both were hesitant enough that their sloppiness didn't get taken advantage of; nobody wanted to commit. This was one of those stupid fights where neither one of them really wanted to be there.

asofel
06-24-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This was one of those stupid fights where neither one of them really wanted to be there.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, especially the instigator. Talk all that [censored] and then...uh-oh.... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

A_C_Slater
06-24-2005, 05:15 PM
Cool video. But why the hell does it end there? What does that nerd do when the wigger goes down? Does he continue the assault? We don't get to see the wigger's reaction after losing his machismo?

It left me unsatiated.

It would be better if the karate nerd ended up making out with thug boy's woman right in front of him and her making some sort of comment like "wow, nerds really do, do it better." And then she points and laughs at the thug stripping away his last remnants of manhood.

Stuck
06-24-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cool video. But why the hell does it end there? What does that nerd do when the wigger goes down? Does he continue the assault? We don't get to see the wigger's reaction after losing his machismo?

It left me unsatiated.

It would be better if the karate nerd ended up making out with thug boy's woman right in front of him and her making some sort of comment like "wow, nerds really do, do it better." And then she points and laughs at the thug stripping away his last remnants of manhood.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like someone had his lunch money taken.

A_C_Slater
06-24-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It left me unsatiated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like someone had his lunch money taken.

[/ QUOTE ]

That and swirlies.

Lots of swirlies. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Blarg
06-24-2005, 05:53 PM
LOL WTF

Well, it was a movie, after all. Maybe they should have had a wrap party on the spot.

Blarg
06-24-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]

yep. it reminded me of that video of the karate instructor who had that pimp walk up to him trying to start a fight. he didn't get all into a stance or anything, but when the guy got close, he plants slightly and knocks the guy silly with a backhand strike to the temple. i would have been more impressed if this guy did that instead of goin all crazy with his stances...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, got a link to that? Sounds kinda funny, I wouldn't mind seeing it.

Macdaddy Warsaw
06-24-2005, 06:01 PM
You were picked on as a kid, weren't you?

asofel
06-24-2005, 06:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

but of course!

*THWACK* (http://www.m90.org/download.php?image_id=3269)

Sponger15SB
06-24-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if this is the right terminology, but it was a backhand knife to the neck, and he knocked the guy down SO hard. He tried to get back up and fell back over right away.

Its on ebaumworld somewhere.

Macdaddy Warsaw
06-24-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In a similar vein, my friends told me of a boxer they knew once who get really drunk and drug dealer tried to sell him something. Well, the kid didn't want anything, so he started walking away, but the dealer grabbed him by the shoulder to spin him around.

Bad idea.

The boxer, on instinct, just punched him right in the chest. The dealer collapsed, and the boxer and his group of friends left. The thing is they're pretty sure he killed the guy.

Blarg
06-24-2005, 06:19 PM
Yeah it kind of did look like a simple chop to me. First I thought it was a backfist, and it's pretty hard to see, but I think it's probably a chop. The way his forearm faces and the plane it moves in especially make it look that way.

When I read it was a backfist to the temple, I was kind of surprised and that's why I wanted to see it. I could see a backfist to the jaw, but a backfist to the temple from someone who has even the slightest clue how to do it can be a killing blow, not just a knock-out. It's extremely fast and my favorite punch, but I was surprised hearing that an expert would use it, especially as a first blow against some street assmunch.

Not that a chop to the neck can't mess you up pretty bad too, but the guy probably put more push than snap into it just to hurt him and let him know who's boss. Which, it looks like -- he found out!

That's the trouble with trying to be a big shot picking fights in front of your woman -- you can wind looking like even more of a punk if you lose.

Blarg
06-24-2005, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the link!

A more experienced guy might have realized how much you give up by making a big production out of your skills. He was probably just thrilled he had them. The pro knew, though. Short and sweet.

A_C_Slater
06-24-2005, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

A more experienced guy might have realized how much you give up by making a big production out of your skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chicks dig guy's with skillz, be it nunchuck skills, tetherball skills, flashdance skills, or choi lee fut skillz.

Blarg
06-24-2005, 06:36 PM
LOL flashdance skills!

That's what's been missing in my repertoire. Dumping buckets of icewater over my head!

Tetherball is way too dangerous.

STLantny
06-24-2005, 06:49 PM
IM A BRAZILLIAN DANCE FIGHTER!!!!!!!!! HEEYA!

masse75
06-24-2005, 07:02 PM
As we gain wisdom and experience through age, most of us are smart enough to never get in that position in the first place.

Having said that, I see a guy drop into a stance like that, it's Nature's way of saying, "Just swallow your pride and walk away, mother[censored]."

Live and learn, dumbass.

Jules22
06-24-2005, 07:15 PM
yeah, if it was really that big a deal id at least find a weapon of some sort, instead of flailing like a sissy and getting wrecked.

Blarg
06-24-2005, 07:25 PM
Learning is definitely best done while still alive!

SmileyEH
06-24-2005, 07:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In a similar vein, my friends told me of a boxer they knew once who get really drunk and drug dealer tried to sell him something. Well, the kid didn't want anything, so he started walking away, but the dealer grabbed him by the shoulder to spin him around.

Bad idea.

The boxer, on instinct, just punched him right in the chest. The dealer collapsed, and the boxer and his group of friends left. The thing is they're pretty sure he killed the guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was a black belt in karate actually, not a boxer.

-SmileyEH

Macdaddy Warsaw
06-24-2005, 07:43 PM
MY BAD!

mostsmooth
06-25-2005, 01:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
whats the point of getting in that stance if your just gonna swing your arms around like a drunk retard? it apparently can be egffective, but is there really a need for the stance?

Macdaddy Warsaw
06-25-2005, 01:58 AM
I would imagine it's just a way of getting planted and, in this case, being able to most effectively use torque from your entire body to land a powerful blow.

Alobar
06-25-2005, 02:00 AM
if Im ever in a fight and I knock the guy out, Im whipping my dick out and pissing on him. Im totally serious too.

Blarg
06-25-2005, 03:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
whats the point of getting in that stance if your just gonna swing your arms around like a drunk retard? it apparently can be egffective, but is there really a need for the stance?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's more to the guy's swinging than it appears, though it's not everybody's idea of the best way to punch, and not mine either.

The foundation of asian martial arts is having a strong foundation -- balance and stance. That squat, the "horse stance," is common to almost every asian martial art. It allows for a stance that's tremendously stable side to side and can function as a platform for different movements, including hand strikes, and can make the power of the legs and hips easy to transfer through the arms and fists and hands. It keeps the center of balance low and helps make the body parts connect automatically.

A low squat like that, as the poster above notes, helps you torque your full body into long-range, circular strikes. It's not a stance that lends itself to great speed, but the long straight-arm circular strikes are meant more to confuse and smash through along the whole of the arm and hand than to be especially fast.

As you saw, though, they can be fast enough. It's not the easiest way to strike and not one of my favorites, but as weird as it looks, there is some logic to it.

You have to remember that the core aspects of asian martial arts really are martial -- military. Big, broad stances and large circular movements are at the core of so many fighting styles because these styles were used with weapons, which are heavy and have to generate enough force to pierce armor. Additionally, the soldier has to use broad movements to move his weapons around his own cumbersome armor. Those big broad stances and large circular movements help you handle things like shields and swords and spears, and sweep those of others out of the way or crush them or slice through them, as well as brace you for the attacks of others on sometimes changing and unstable ground. The sturdy stances and large movements of the battlefields could also be more quickly taught soldiers of every body type than refined movements which take much more study and aren't necessarily appropriate for the battlefield.

Those movements carried over into unarmed fighting. Arms were referred to as swords, hands as knives, and fists as hammers not merely from colorful metaphor, but also because some of the same movements were applied to the body that were used with weapons.

Some of those movements were greatly expanded upon and refined in different systems, and some of the best and probably some of the worst aspects carried over too. But these training methods and tools were actually meant to and did kill people and win wars, and come from a base of proven practicality. That doesn't mean ideas can't be improved on or added to, or that there aren't refinements in fighting peculiar to the use of the human body alone when it is unarmed, that spring from its natural movements and limits. Martial arts have had a long time to develop those aspects of fighting, too.

But there's no doubt a good martial artist of any style can generate extraordinary power, and you don't want his blows to land. The swinging blows of the choy li fut guy may look ridiculous, but they're not just totally wild, and they're very different from the haymakers you see drunks in bars doing, and can unload a lot of refined power onto you if they get through. Remember too that choy li fut men will also use those movements in coordination with kicks and sweeps -- one of those things crashing down onto your collarbone while your foot is being heeled out in the opposite direction will not only cause tremendous damage when it lands but help to pivot you off balance and drive your back and shoulders into the ground.

Whether the blows actually land is a personal matter between y'all. But they can very easily be knock-out punches if they do.

somethingstupid
06-25-2005, 04:10 AM
Fights make you become an important person.

Grease
06-25-2005, 05:50 AM
Have any local gangs recruited you for your skills?

Russ McGinley
06-25-2005, 09:54 AM
http://www.gotfuturama.com/Multimedia/FrameGrabs/2ACV05/Grabs/pic00165.jpg

jakethebake
06-25-2005, 10:19 AM
Okinawan Goju-ryu has a strike very similar to the one this guy used. It's very powerful. You're basically using your body to generate power, with the arm being nothing more than a whip. It can be faster than it would seem, and because it's not a traditional "punch" a lot of people are surprised and don't react correctly. As Blarg said, it's usually aimed at the collarbone.

Aside from that, I've always been partial to clubbing type movements for a few reasons. You can generate a lot of power with them. You're a lot less likely to hurt your hands. And when you're clubbing someone you basically have you're whole forearm from fist to elbow as a striking surface so it's harder to get out of the way of the whole thing. If you've trained in using it that way, it's not as crude as it sounds, and can be fairly destructuve. The obvious drawback is that you have to be close. Since I'm not tall and don't have long arms, I have to be close anyway.

RicktheRuler
06-25-2005, 01:54 PM
That was informative, thanks. I am starting to think there are a few 2+2ers that can kick some ass. Either that or they just like kung fu movies.

blaze666
06-25-2005, 05:33 PM
alldumb.com?