PDA

View Full Version : Good math books?

kurosh
06-24-2005, 04:27 PM
I've taken math up to Calc 2 in school (algebra, trig, calc, geometry, NOT statistics). I'm extremely gifted in math and have yet to come across a concept I've had difficulty with so level of difficulty doesn't factor in. Obviously, I won't be able to understand some things without the proper background. I want some books to learn more. Can anyone recommend some good ones?

jason_t
06-24-2005, 04:32 PM
Walter Rudin, Principles of Mathematical Analysis
Charles Pinter, A Book of Abstract Algebra

gumpzilla
06-24-2005, 04:33 PM
Fraleigh's introduction to abstract algebra was a pretty good book, as I recall, and it covers basic ideas that will show up over and over again.

CallMeIshmael
06-24-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Will either of these books help fulfill my new found quest: bang a stripper?

If not, I fail to see how they will add to me existence.

drudman
06-24-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

CallMeIshmael needs to get laid.

/images/graemlins/cool.gif

CallMeIshmael
06-24-2005, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A) nh

B) I cant very well let jason_t get away with banging a stripper now can I? In fact, I guess that means I have to bang two. Just, you know, to keep the CMI > jason_t order in place, and thus, in the process, keep the earth from spinning out of orbit.

MtDon
06-24-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of strippers are impressed by a guy who has lots of books.

jason_t
06-24-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You need more help than any number of books could offer you.

The first step in acheiving your goal would be to quit being a pussy and fly to Vegas next time.

jason_t
06-24-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A) nh

B) I cant very well let jason_t get away with banging a stripper now can I? In fact, I guess that means I have to bang two. Just, you know, to keep the CMI > jason_t order in place, and thus, in the process, keep the earth from spinning out of orbit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Judging from your "Order of things" post and the post to which this one is a reply, you have no clue what the symbol ">" means.

CallMeIshmael
06-24-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The first step in acheiving your goal would be to quit being a pussy and fly to Vegas next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif (<-- me, for not going)

Next vegas trip, im on a train for sure.

CallMeIshmael
06-24-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Judging from your "Order of things" post and the post to which this one is a reply, you have no clue what the symbol ">" means.

[/ QUOTE ]

In this post, Im back in twoplustwo mode, and ">" means I am just plain better than you!

jason_t
06-24-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif (<-- me, for not going)

[/ QUOTE ]

Pussy.

CallMeIshmael
06-24-2005, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pussy.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the idea

CallMeIshmael
06-24-2005, 05:45 PM
Also...

I put that in there, and I was like "you really should watch yourself, as to how you use that ">" in this forum"... and then I was like, f[/i]uck it!

jason_t
06-24-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In this post, Im back in twoplustwo mode, and ">" means I am just plain better than you!

[/ QUOTE ]

Theorem: jason_t is better than CallMeIshmael.

Proof: Consider the statement S = "Statement S is false or jason_t is better than CallMeIshmael." There are two possibilities.

1. Statement S is false.

If this is the case, then the first clause "Statement S is false" in statement S is true and therefore the whole statement is true. Therefore, statement S is true and we have reached a contradiction. Hence 1. is impossible.

2. Statement S is true.

For a disjunctive statement to be true, one of it's clauses must be true. The two clauses in statement S are

Statement S is false

and

jason_t is better than CallMeIshmael.

If the former is true, then statement S is false and this contradicts the truth of statement S and thus statement S is false. But by the argument in 1., the falsity of statement S is impossible. Therefore, the latter must be true and we have reached the desired conclusion: jason_t is better than CallMeIshmael.

jason_t
06-24-2005, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also...

I put that in there, and I was like "you really should watch yourself, as to how you use that ">" in this forum"... and then I was like, f[/i]uck it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Living on the edge I see. That'll definitely help you bang a stripper.

CallMeIshmael
06-24-2005, 05:52 PM
Touche, Chessmaster.

(I can't believe you actually went to the effort to type that out.)

CallMeIshmael
06-24-2005, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I need... more tips!!

EDIT: Most. Hijacked. Thread. Ever.

jason_t
06-24-2005, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I need... more tips!!

EDIT: Most. Hijacked. Thread. Ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's another: Learn to play better postflop.

CallMeIshmael
06-24-2005, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Contrary evidence:

CMI's VPIP / Jason_t's VPIP > 1.

You can derive the rest in your spare time.

jason_t
06-24-2005, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Contrary evidence:

CMI's VPIP / Jason_t's VPIP > 1.

You can derive the rest in your spare time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop is trivial. Postflop is where it's at.

nate1729
06-24-2005, 06:07 PM
~Proofs From The Book~ is excellent. Lots and lots of interesting and beautiful stuff.

Probably the best self-study textbook I've ever seen is ~Modern Algebra~ by Dummit and Foote.

~The Man Who Loved Only Numbers~ is a very good (I think) biography of Ramanujan, but it's more biographical than technical.

Get ~Proofs From The Book,~ though. It's terrific.

--Nate

CallMeIshmael
06-24-2005, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You dissapoint me.

CMIs VPIP / Jason_t's VPIP > 1

->

CMI's VPIP > Jason_t's VPIP

->

CMI can play more hands for profit than Jason_t

->

CMI is a better postflop player than Jason_t

Q.E.D.

jason_t
06-24-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
~Proofs From The Book~ is excellent. Lots and lots of interesting and beautiful stuff.

Probably the best self-study textbook I've ever seen is ~Modern Algebra~ by Dummit and Foote.

~The Man Who Loved Only Numbers~ is a very good (I think) biography of Ramanujan, but it's more biographical than technical.

Get ~Proofs From The Book,~ though. It's terrific.

--Nate

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the assessment of Proofs From The Book.

Dummit and Foote is horribly dry.

The Ramanujan book is a good suggestion.

jason_t
06-24-2005, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You dissapoint me.

CMIs VPIP / Jason_t's VPIP > 1

->

CMI's VPIP > Jason_t's VPIP

->

CMI can play more hands for profit than Jason_t

->

CMI is a better postflop player than Jason_t

Q.E.D.

[/ QUOTE ]

Biggest fish on party's VPIP / CMI's VPIP > 1 does not imply that Biggest fish on party is a better postflop player than CMI.

CallMeIshmael
06-24-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Biggest fish on party's VPIP / CMI's VPIP > 1 does not imply that Biggest fish on party is a better postflop player than CMI.

[/ QUOTE ]

CMIs WR > Biggest fish's as well

kurosh
06-24-2005, 06:22 PM
Are you two through hijacking?

CallMeIshmael
06-24-2005, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tough to say.

Most hijacks arent preplanned.

If something comes up, the hijack contines. If not, then it stops.

jason_t
06-24-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no. i iz the baddest motherfuking negga you ever seen. i'll cotton candy yo ass if i ever see you.

CallMeIshmael
06-24-2005, 07:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no. i iz the baddest motherfuking negga you ever seen. i'll cotton candy yo ass if i ever see you.

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD. And, it wont be close.

spamuell
06-24-2005, 08:42 PM
From everything I've read on 2+2 ever by or about either of you, I just wanted to say, CMI, it's funny how much jason_t pwns you.

CallMeIshmael
06-24-2005, 08:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
From everything I've read on 2+2 ever by or about either of you, I just wanted to say, CMI, it's funny how much jason_t pwns you.

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAH

Jason has this VERY insecure personality, which causes him to constantly make these very outlandish claims. (ie. banging a stripper).

From personal ovservation, he is a scared little boy.

EDIT: Im well aware of the irony of my current title, and who is responsible for it

spamuell
06-24-2005, 09:14 PM
He banged a stripper and he has the best avatar ever. Nuff said.

CallMeIshmael
06-24-2005, 09:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He banged a stripper

[/ QUOTE ]

You know what's better than banging a stripper?

Not having the clap.

(Jealousy seeping through)

nate1729
06-24-2005, 11:12 PM
If by "horribly dry" you mean "full of interesting and substantive examples" and "explained in detail so an excellent self-study book," then yes, horribly dry.

Of course, you're entitled to your opinion... what algebra book would you prefer?

--Nate

jason_t
06-24-2005, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If by "horribly dry" you mean "full of interesting and substantive examples" and "explained in detail so an excellent self-study book," then yes, horribly dry.

Of course, you're entitled to your opinion... what algebra book would you prefer?

--Nate

[/ QUOTE ]

By horribly dry I mean it doesn't make interesting reading on an otherwise fascinating subject. I agree the text is good for self-study; it's what I used to study for my PhD qualifying exam in algebra.

Charles Pinter's A Book of Abstract Algebra is an incredibly introductory book along with Michael Artin's book Algebra.

nate1729
06-25-2005, 01:08 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'd heard good things about Artin, never heard of Pinter, but if I get on an algebraic kick I'll keep it in mind.

Thanks again.

--Nate

jason_t
06-25-2005, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the suggestions. I'd heard good things about Artin, never heard of Pinter, but if I get on an algebraic kick I'll keep it in mind.

Thanks again.

--Nate

[/ QUOTE ]

His style is incredible. If you ever get your hands on the book, open up to the chapter on Field Extensions or Galois Theory: The Heart of the Matter. Read the introduction to each chapter. You'll melt.

CallMeIshmael
06-25-2005, 12:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We all can't 9-bet the non nuts with the intention of paying off the 10th bet.

Im working on it though...

setzf
06-25-2005, 01:09 PM
Artins Algebra book is [censored] awesome. Serge lange's algebra book is probably the most top notch and thorough but its really [censored] intense and hard to understand if youre not a mathematician.

but i suggest getting a set theory book before anything. it will make understanding anything else mathematically deep much easier. devlins book is good. not too over the top for a non-mathematician.

KingMarc
06-25-2005, 03:17 PM
It's not really a "math" book, but it deals with math and stuff. It's one of the best books I've ever read...

"The Golden Ratio" by Mario Livio

tylerdurden
06-25-2005, 03:37 PM
If you really want to get into modern abstract algebra, there's nothing better than Herstein's Topics in Algebra.

AleoMagus
06-25-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read it, but I'm pretty sure this is about Paul Erdos, not Ramanujan

Regards
Brad S

jason_t
06-25-2005, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read it, but I'm pretty sure this is about Paul Erdos, not Ramanujan

Regards
Brad S

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right; the Ramanujan book is called The Man Who Knew Infinity.

Maura
06-25-2005, 09:01 PM
you should also consider ~Journey through Genius~

~Maura

jason_t
06-26-2005, 12:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you should also consider ~Journey through Genius~

~Maura

[/ QUOTE ]

All of William Dunham's books are great.

Jeff W
07-02-2005, 12:11 PM
What do you think of these:

What is Mathematics?... by Courant et al (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0195105192/qid=1120308512/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-8370553-9309760?v=glance&s=books)

Foundations and Fundamental Concepts of Mathematics by Eves (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/048669609X/qid=1120308512/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/102-8370553-9309760?v=glance&s=books)

Concepts of Modern Mathematics by Ian Stewart (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0486284247/qid=1120308512/sr=1-9/ref=sr_1_9/102-8370553-9309760?v=glance&s=books)

I have some mathematical training from my physics degree, mainly in applied mathematics. I am looking for a good introduction to proofs and mathematical logic that is clearly written and interesting.

BeerMoney
07-02-2005, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm extremely gifted in math and have yet to come across a concept I've had difficulty with so level of difficulty doesn't factor in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why bother even doing anything if you're so great?!?!? You think you're gifted because you have no idea what else is out there. You've taken CALC 2, but are extremely gifted at math???????

LargeCents
07-02-2005, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm extremely gifted in math and have yet to come across a concept I've had difficulty with so level of difficulty doesn't factor in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why bother even doing anything if you're so great?!?!? You think you're gifted because you have no idea what else is out there. You've taken CALC 2, but are extremely gifted at math???????

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. Yeah, "Extremely gifted", is one of those overused terms. I used to think I was at least "gifted", because I was way above anyone in high school and college, but now I realize, I was just "smart" or "competent". Whereas, "gifted" should be reserved for someone who can open a math book they've never encountered, page through it, and basically understand everything "immediately". I can't do that, but there are plenty of "gifted" out there that can. Probably at least a dozen are lurking this forum.

jason_t
07-02-2005, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What do you think of these:

What is Mathematics?... by Courant et al (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0195105192/qid=1120308512/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-8370553-9309760?v=glance&s=books)

Foundations and Fundamental Concepts of Mathematics by Eves (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/048669609X/qid=1120308512/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/102-8370553-9309760?v=glance&s=books)

Concepts of Modern Mathematics by Ian Stewart (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0486284247/qid=1120308512/sr=1-9/ref=sr_1_9/102-8370553-9309760?v=glance&s=books)

I have some mathematical training from my physics degree, mainly in applied mathematics. I am looking for a good introduction to proofs and mathematical logic that is clearly written and interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Courant et al. book is great. I haven't read the other two, but every other book I've read by Ian Stewart has been outstanding.

For books that are introductions to proofs, the books

How to Read and Do Proofs by Daniel Solow
Foundations of Abstract Mathematics by David Kurtz

are great. They both cover basic logic. For a more advanced yet still introductory book that you could read after reading at least one of the above two books

Mathematical Logic, Herbert Enderton.

kurosh
07-03-2005, 01:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. Yeah, "Extremely gifted", is one of those overused terms. I used to think I was at least "gifted", because I was way above anyone in high school and college, but now I realize, I was just "smart" or "competent". Whereas, "gifted" should be reserved for someone who can open a math book they've never encountered, page through it, and basically understand everything "immediately". I can't do that, but there are plenty of "gifted" out there that can. Probably at least a dozen are lurking this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why bother learning more math because I pick it up easily and I'm good at it? Gee, I don't know.

I don't really enjoy pointless bragging or self-promotion, especially when everyone calls bullshit, so I'm not going to list every reason why I think so, but I am very, very good at math. I can do what you said.

jason_t
07-03-2005, 07:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why bother learning more math because I pick it up easily and I'm good at it? Gee, I don't know.

I don't really enjoy pointless bragging or self-promotion, especially when everyone calls bullshit, so I'm not going to list every reason why I think so, but I am very, very good at math. I can do what you said.

[/ QUOTE ]

kurosh, please, I'm interested in hearing why you think this.