PDA

View Full Version : EV of Blinds Midway Through a Blind Level

astarck
06-24-2005, 04:12 PM
Bear with me as I don't really know how to formulate this. My post may sound funny, be completely pointless, already have been discussed countless times (I can't find anything from the past), or actually be meaningful.

Lately, I have been wondering how the blind level affects your decision. I'm not necesarily talking about how big the blinds are in relation to your stack and the stacks of everyone else, but how soon the blinds are going to go up. I guess I could state it like this:

Does the number of hands it takes for the blinds to go up have any effect on the value of the blinds?

For example:

Blinds 25/50 or 50/100 and are going up in 1-2 hands.
You are in the small blind at a 5-6 handed table and it has folded around to you. You and the bb both have 15-20 blinds. If the blinds weren't going up as soon you wouldn't want to push here because you have so many blinds and adding the bb to your stack doesn't help you much. But because the blinds will rise next hand (giving you only 7-10x) do you want to push your stack here and get these blinds for the next level?

A point to consider is that by collecting these blinds and the blinds going up, you will have more FE going into the new limit. Furthermore, you will have great position to steal for 1 more hand (at which point the blinds will have gone up).

I guess a second question I have that is somewhat related to this is, Does chip value change when you figure out who the new blinds level will "hit" first, and the amount of chips they have when getting "hit"? (eg. Blinds will rise to 100/200 and land on a person who only has 1000 chips.)

Nottom
06-24-2005, 04:42 PM
Well, yes.

If I have say 8 BBs and am UTG with some marginal holding like KTo with 6 behind me and the blinds have just gone up, I'm much less likely to push than if the blinds are going to go up next hand.

In your SB example I don't think the blinds make much difference there. In fact if anything it makes me less likely to get involved since I'll be able to steal more chips from the button next hand.

In general I tend to worry about the blinds when they will hit me before most other players at the table (i.e. I am in the blinds or UTG). If they go up while I am in LP I usually don't change my strategy much.