PDA

View Full Version : KQ on the Button

bluewilde
06-24-2005, 03:22 PM
All right, ussually I'm pretty good about avoiding the unsuited broadway hands (so much trauma has been caused me by KJ), but when there's no preflop agression , I figure limping in late position (here I'm on the button), with KQ is ok (stop me here if that's wrong). In this hand I hit top pair and have a good kicker. The bet is made by a guy who's been leading way too many flops, and I take the call to mean QJ-, or a flush draw (this guys been pretty quiet, I didn't have any notes for him); this is the logic for my pot-sized raise (stop me here if that's wrong). When the caller reraises I expect he's either opverplaying QJ, or has a better piece of this flop. Therefore, I just call because maybe he's limped with AQ, or hit two pair. The turn can't help him so I call the bet. On the river he bets such a small fraction of the pot I feel like he's missed a club draw/realizes low pair is no good. I figure at this point calling is mandatory for such a big pot with such a small bet, but being with 150 left seems silly, so I go all-in. So yeah, this is what I was thinking, critique away. Thanks,

Blue

Level 1 of a $5+1 SNG (still under-bankrolled to move up, I know it's absurd to pay the 20% rake /images/graemlins/frown.gif)

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t800)
UTG (t985)
UTG+1 (t690)
MP1 (t800)
MP2 (t785)
MP3 (t800)
CO (t1625)
Hero (t775)
SB (t740)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls t15, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t15, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t75) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t45</font>, BB folds, UTG calls t45, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t165</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t285</font>, Hero calls t120.

Turn: (t690) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t175</font>, Hero calls t175.

River: (t1040) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t150</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t300 (All-In)</font>, UTG calls t150.

Final Pot: t1640

therock
06-24-2005, 03:31 PM
"Level 1 of a $5+1 SNG (still under-bankrolled to move up, I know it's absurd to pay the 20% rake )"

First, play the $6 + $0.50 at PokerStars to avoid the 20% rake. I try to play two broadway from late position for two pair or a straight. With top pair 2nd kicker and 4 opponents, I would try to keep the pot small and see if I can get to the river cheap.

jcm4ccc
06-24-2005, 03:42 PM
This hand is a good illustration of why it's difficult to play KQ, even with position.

I limp with KQ on the button, and I would raise as you did. However, when you are reraised on the flop, you have a difficult decision. The raise is small enough that it seems silly to fold it, and you might even have the pot odds to call it. However, you are pretty much pot committed if you call this, as you are down to less than 400 chips if you do. So, on the flop, when UTG raises, I think you should either put him all-in or fold. I think, given that KQ is a trap hand, that I would give him credit for having a better hand and fold.

lastchance
06-24-2005, 03:49 PM
There's no way you should be calling the turn and probably the flop. QT board with spades? You need to decide whether or not your hand is good on the turn and push or fold there, I think.

Getting away with this on the flop is +EV, I think...

Isura
06-24-2005, 04:49 PM
Calling the flop is better IMO than raising. If there was no overcall on the flop (and we were HU), then your raise is reasonable since you think you can take down the pot on the flop (given your read). But that the overcaller has a piece of this flop, or a draw he's not folding. I'd call and reevaluate the turn. You have some bluff protection on the turn from the original bettor, so it's safe to laydown to any significant turn action. I'd calldown smallish turn and river bets unless the board gets really ugly.

bluewilde
06-24-2005, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the input!

So, say I had just called. Can I fold to bets of 175 and 150 on the turn and river?