PDA

View Full Version : UB 50-100: First Trifecta and I think it was a mistake

Gamblor
06-24-2005, 01:33 PM
UB 50-100, I'm slightly underrolled for this game but a brutal LAGgy-maniac has me taking a shot.

Maniac raises/3-bets 75% of his hands preflop and follows through all the way (when checked to). he's already reloaded.

9-handed. I get AJo and open raise UTG, as usual maniac 3-bets and its heads up to the flop. yes i missed an easy cap here.

2 to the flop ($375) J /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I check-raise.

2 to the turn ($575) (J /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif) K /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I check-raise. (Is bet-3-bet a better line?)

2 to the river ($975) (J /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif) 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I check-raise and he calls.

Now, is this guy gonna stick around and continue to hand away his money or will this wise him up a bit?

TommyO
06-24-2005, 01:42 PM
Why would you want to wise him up?

daryn
06-24-2005, 01:51 PM
i don't think you missed an easy cap preflop.. unless he is just TOTALLY CRAZY.

daryn
06-24-2005, 01:52 PM
also if he is that crazy, you could probably make more money by leading and 3 betting some of these streets

andyfox
06-24-2005, 01:59 PM
I think, in general, it's a mistake to play in a game with a maniac when your under-rolled, as each pot will be expensive both because of him and, more importantly, because the others know he's a maniac. For example, in this hand, you can really be in an unenviable spot if somebody has a hand behind him and 4-bets pre-flop. I also think it can be a mistake to check-raise him excessively lest he clam up. And, from purely a $ point of view, betting out might sometimes allow you to 3-bet some street(s), for example, the turn when a high card flush-draw producing card comes.

But if the guy will bet every time you check to him, it's hard to resist the temptation to go for the check-raise when a card he sees as a "scare" card comes.

Mempho
06-24-2005, 02:49 PM
Exactly how is this an easy cap???? Yes, you have the best hand in all liklihood...but you're going to have to go to showdown with this guy, no? You have almost zero fold equity if you describe this guy correctly. It is highly doubtful that you're more than a 3 to 2 favorite regardless of his holding. The only hands you dominate are Ax and Jx at which you're a good, but not great favorite. At times you're even going to be a coinflip underdog. And yes, you could be dominated yourself since even LAGs pick up good hands. So, you're either a 3:2 favorite, essentially 1:1, or you're a 3:2 dog (and possibly even worse).

Add to all of this that you're not going to have any idea where you're at if you don't hit the flop. Are you afraid of giving him control by letting him put in the last raise before the flop? He's gonna bet/raise the flop no matter what. If you cap it off, what's you're play if you whiff and have no draw but overcards? Call down with Ace high? Play it for the best hand? The way you describe him, he's not folding if he has any shot whatsoever of winning the pot.

Just one of the problems that LAGs cause. Another is higher variance. You don't want that if your short on roll for this game.

Nate tha' Great
06-24-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He raises/3-bets 75% of his hands preflop.

It's just a cap for value.

Nate tha' Great
06-24-2005, 03:30 PM
Yeah, I think it's much better to maintain the lead on a board like this one once you pull off that first check-raise.

Gamblor
06-25-2005, 05:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He raises/3-bets 75% of his hands preflop.

It's just a cap for value.

[/ QUOTE ]

bingo.

Pepsquad
06-25-2005, 06:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
UB 50-100, I'm slightly underrolled for this game but a brutal LAGgy-maniac has me taking a shot.

Maniac raises/3-bets 75% of his hands preflop and follows through all the way (when checked to). he's already reloaded.

9-handed. I get AJo and open raise UTG, as usual maniac 3-bets and its heads up to the flop. yes i missed an easy cap here.

2 to the flop ($375) J /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I check-raise.

2 to the turn ($575) (J /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif) K /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I check-raise. (Is bet-3-bet a better line?)

2 to the river ($975) (J /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif) 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I check-raise and he calls.

Now, is this guy gonna stick around and continue to hand away his money or will this wise him up a bit?

[/ QUOTE ]

I lead the turn and river just because I can't stand the thought of him checking behind and missing those bets. Turns out you made much more money here than I would have - well done.

fearme
06-25-2005, 01:52 PM
he will be favored a huge majority of the time, 3bets 70% of hands?

Gamblor
06-25-2005, 02:14 PM
I think, in general, it's a mistake to play in a game with a maniac when your under-rolled, as each pot will be expensive both because of him and, more importantly, because the others know he's a maniac.

I'm taking a shot and don't intend to play in this game for any significant length of time until my roll is more sizeable.

andyfox
06-25-2005, 03:05 PM
Nothing wrong with taking a shot. I prefer a more passive game when doing it.

Hope this one went well for you.

DcifrThs
06-25-2005, 06:36 PM
1: i think you should cap this preflop and bet betting alomst any flop. then call down when raised on the flop unless you flop good/turngood/rivergood etc...

2: once you c'r the flop id just bet the turn and hope to be able to 3 bet. that said i'd bet the river.

but the way you played the hand the river is your best played street next to the flop. on the river he'd have to have much more to raise than he'd have to have to bet and he's claerly calling with anything worthwhile whereas he'd simply call a bet if you just bet the river. so well done there given your previous play. id just like to get some more $$ in there on the turn and preflop.

-Barron

kgrad5
06-27-2005, 03:20 PM
I think that if hes not 3 betting the flop its likely hes not raising the turn. I like the check raise here if you know he is going to bet if checked to. an unthinking LAG player won't just call the check-raise to raise the turn, he'll 3-bet it right away with a J or call down with a pair. but he might bet any pair if checked to on later streets