PDA

View Full Version : Who are the 2006 NBA Champions?

llabb
06-24-2005, 01:28 PM
Close game last night, as was discussed in the Game 7 thread. Tied at the beginning of the 4th Q, only a 4 pt differential within the last 2 mins. Congrats to Spurs fans, tough break for Pistons fans.

It may sound too early to ask, but I was thinking about, who would be the champions for next season? Yes, the season doesn't even start for several months, but the best time to discuss it is now, while the NBA is still fresh in your mind.

Last year, before the season started, many were already predicting Spurs and Pistons. At the time, the other contenders were the Pacers, T-Wolves, and possibly Heat. There were of course some surprises along the way, notably the T-Wolves collapsing, Artest suspended for the season, and Phoenix coming from nowhere. However, both finalists were as expected.

Looking to next year, is it just as predictable? Can anyone beat San Antonio or Phoenix in the West? Can anyone beat Detroit, Miami, or Indiana in the East? Out of those, who will make the finals, and who will be the champion?

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-24-2005, 01:43 PM
Heat over Pistons, Spurs over Suns, Heat over Spurs. That was easy - and I don't even like the NBA. Can we please have hockey back now?

holeplug
06-24-2005, 01:45 PM
Probably the Spurs again. Parker and Ginobili are only going to get better. They'll probably win 2 or 3 more before Duncan drops off.

Miami in the East if Shaq is healthy. His health is becoming more and more of an 'if' each year but they would have beat the Pistons if Wade wouldn't have gotten hurt and Shaq played on 1 leg the entire postseason.

Suns and Nuggets should be good out West. Pacers and the Pistons in the East although I think Det. will drop off some when Larry Brown leaves in a couple weeks.

Phoenix1010
06-24-2005, 02:10 PM
The Spurs will dominate the West again next year unless one of the Western powers makes a significant change in the offseason. The T-Wolves have stated that they are going to be active this offseason, so I'd paint them as the favorites to make a run at San Antonio. No other team has the pieces in place yet to offer any real resistance against the Spurs specifically, although the Suns should be favored to win the regular season record and home court advantage again. I think Denver will be one of the more interesting teams out there, as they adjust to their first full year under Karl.

The East is where things get interesting. I'll say it now, if Larry Brown leaves Detroit, there will be a significant dropoff if they don't get a very strong replacement. There will be a power vacuum at the top of the East next year, and there are no less than three teams that will look to fill it up. Once again, I'm picking Indiana to be the best team in the league next year if circumstances don't crush them like they did this year. I'd say Miami is still favored to take the #1 seed. Detroit, Chicago, and New Jersey will all make a signiicant run at the top, but it's still too early to figure how successful they will be. If Larry Brown stays with the Pistons, they will continue to be right near the top.

Edit: oh yeah, smart money is on the Spurs repeating.

trying2learn
06-24-2005, 02:21 PM
i think next year we'll get miami v phoenix - especially after the kurt thomas trade. shaq will be motivated for another big year since phil is back in la - denver, san antonio, detroit, and indy will all be good - but not good enough.

utmt40
06-24-2005, 02:22 PM
I'll go with the Heat to take it all.

Phoenix1010
06-24-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i think next year we'll get miami v phoenix - especially after the kurt thomas trade. shaq will be motivated for another big year since phil is back in la - denver, san antonio, detroit, and indy will all be good - but not good enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly don't think Phoenix has what it takes to get by San Antonio, and Kurt Thomas isn't going to give it to them. They just don't match up well against the Spurs roster, and their gameplan is too easily exploitable by what the Spurs do best. If Minnesota or Denver knocks out the Spurs in one of the early rounds, Phoenix will become the favorite for the West.

andyfox
06-24-2005, 02:40 PM
I happened to see Mike Dunleavy driving recently, so I thought I'd put in a good word for him.

trying2learn
06-24-2005, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I happened to see Mike Dunleavy driving recently, so I thought I'd put in a good word for him.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - how completely random & hilarious.

Bulldog
06-24-2005, 03:35 PM
In the mix:

Heat
Spurs
Pistons
Quite possibly no one else at this stage

Suns on the cusp of being in this discussion

Darkhorses:
Mavs
Rockets

AngryCola
06-24-2005, 05:02 PM
The league will be in some trouble if it's the Spurs again. There seem to be some vocal fans on 2+2, but SA is a small market. The Spurs bore me to death.

Luckily, there's no way it will be the Spurs again. This question really isn't fair until the start of next season. There will be many trades and such between now and then, so it's kind of hard to say at this point.

BUT -

I'll pick the Heat.

M2d
06-24-2005, 05:18 PM
Golden State

offTopic
06-24-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Golden State

[/ QUOTE ]

Just stay healthy, don't have any meltdowns, and sneak into the 8th spot in the West, and I'll be happy (well, for that year, anyway).

Sportstalk caller two years ago: "...and what up with Jason Richardson - how come we got a shooting guard that can't shoot, and don't guard anyone?"

offTopic
06-24-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Must be talking Sr., since Jr. never drives.

[censored]
06-24-2005, 05:49 PM
the answer is always The Lakers

Aytumious
06-24-2005, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Spurs will dominate the West again next year unless one of the Western powers makes a significant change in the offseason. The T-Wolves have stated that they are going to be active this offseason, so I'd paint them as the favorites to make a run at San Antonio. No other team has the pieces in place yet to offer any real resistance against the Spurs specifically, although the Suns should be favored to win the regular season record and home court advantage again. I think Denver will be one of the more interesting teams out there, as they adjust to their first full year under Karl.

The East is where things get interesting. I'll say it now, if Larry Brown leaves Detroit, there will be a significant dropoff if they don't get a very strong replacement. There will be a power vacuum at the top of the East next year, and there are no less than three teams that will look to fill it up. Once again, I'm picking Indiana to be the best team in the league next year if circumstances don't crush them like they did this year. I'd say Miami is still favored to take the #1 seed. Detroit, Chicago, and New Jersey will all make a signiicant run at the top, but it's still too early to figure how successful they will be. If Larry Brown stays with the Pistons, they will continue to be right near the top.

Edit: oh yeah, smart money is on the Spurs repeating.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spurs to repeat since they are still young and not losing anyone major to FA.

Pistons will be fine even if Brown leaves provided they can get one of the top FA coaches. They also aren't losing anyone to FA.

The Wolves are in bad shape since they don't have any cap space to make moves in free agency and they don't have much in the way of tradeable commodities, unless you count the two cancers.

Clarkmeister
06-25-2005, 02:12 PM
Da Bulls.

mason55
06-25-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Da baby Bulls.

[/ QUOTE ]

goofball
06-25-2005, 03:01 PM
$$ going down on that?

Clarkmeister
06-25-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
$$ going down on that?

[/ QUOTE ]

It has for 2007-2008. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1794191&page=&view=&s b=5&o=&vc=1)

goofball
06-25-2005, 03:28 PM
meh. 3 years is too far out to be betting results. Maybe something like "the blazers will be a bunch of thugs" but not who wins. Not interesting in anything for next year huh. (looks like your original prop would be closed anyway)

tbach24
06-25-2005, 06:16 PM
Celtics of course.

Phoenix1010
06-25-2005, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Celtics of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. I'll be really impressed if they make it higher than sixth seed. Hey, the Rockets won the championship from the sixth spot once. Paul Pierce is no Hakeem Olajuwan though.

Clarkmeister
06-25-2005, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Celtics of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. I'll be really impressed if they make it higher than sixth seed. Hey, the Rockets won the championship from the sixth spot once. Paul Pierce is no Hakeem Olajuwan though.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the Celtics aren't the defending champs either.

llabb
06-26-2005, 06:27 AM
How are so many people in this thread taking the Heat? Shaq will never be completely healthy throughout the regular season and playoffs. He's getting worse every year. Probably won't even get double digit rebounds next year, which is pathetic. D-Wade is absolutely terrific, but the Heat do not get past Det or Indy next year.

tbach24
06-26-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Celtics of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I'm kidding (I like the Bulls if they resign both big men). However, the C's have a great future. Al Jefferson will be a great PF in this league, we've finally got a 1 (kinda between Delonte and Marcus) and we've got a slew of young talent. I still really like Kendrick Perkins so in 2-3 years, I'd say that the C's will have a legit shot at the title. I think they'll win the Atlantic this year though.

Phoenix1010
06-26-2005, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think they'll win the Atlantic this year though.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way, Quentin Richardson is going to make us instant title contendors. The Atlantic title is coming back to Knickerbocker land /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

tbach24
06-26-2005, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No way, Quentin Richardson is going to make us instant title contendors. The Atlantic title is coming back to Knickerbocker land /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. I do like the backcourt of Stephon and Crawford, but with Q at 3 and losing Kurt, that makes you guys very small. The only real contention the C's have IMO is the Nets. The Nets are one injury away from failure though.

Victor
06-26-2005, 04:32 PM
watch out for the cavs.

danny ferry as the new gm is sure to bring in some top notch talent.

Clarkmeister
06-26-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
watch out for the cavs.

danny ferry as the new gm is sure to bring in some top notch talent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Team could undergo a serious facelift. It'll be months before we can really know what the team will look like aside from LBJ and Varejao.

llabb
06-26-2005, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
However, the C's have a great future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the Celts have a great future IF they trade Pierce. See my post in the mock draft thread. Trading Pierce for the #3 pick and enough cap space to nab a different All-Star would make the Celts contenders in '08.

Winning the Atlantic is meaningless. Just means you'd get a 3 seed you don't deserve and would lose in the first round anyway to the up-and-coming Bulls or Wiz.

So any Shaq fans want to defend him? How are you throwing around bogus claims that the Heat will win it all next year? Miami is overrated, D-Wade is not. You figure out the other part of that equation.

Phoenix1010
06-26-2005, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
However, the C's have a great future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the Celts have a great future IF they trade Pierce. See my post in the mock draft thread. Trading Pierce for the #3 pick and enough cap space to nab a different All-Star would make the Celts contenders in '08.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is interesting. I don't think Pierce gets enough credit, really. Don't forget that the C's went to the Eastern finals a few years ago and gave the Nets all they could handle. I say get rid of Doc Rivers and that albatross they call Walker, bring in a strong head coach who can motivate Pierce and develop the young talent, and you have a finals contender in a few years.

[ QUOTE ]
So any Shaq fans want to defend him? How are you throwing around bogus claims that the Heat will win it all next year? Miami is overrated, D-Wade is not. You figure out the other part of that equation.

[/ QUOTE ]

What on Earth makes these claims bogus, or the Heat overrated? Miami won 59 games this year, dominated the Eastern teams during the regular season and the first two rounds of the playoffs, and were one pulled rib away from going to the finals. They were unquestionably one of the four best teams in the league this year on results alone, and they'll be the same team next year if not stronger. It's hardly possible to rate them any higher than they actually are.

tbach24
06-26-2005, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is interesting. I don't think Pierce gets enough credit, really. Don't forget that the C's went to the Eastern finals a few years ago and gave the Nets all they could handle. I say get rid of Doc Rivers and that albatross they call Walker, bring in a strong head coach who can motivate Pierce and develop the young talent, and you have a finals contender in a few years.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will be very upset if Walker gets re=signed. Also, I think Doc did a fine job until the Pacers series when he didn't use the young guys enough. I don't know why Pierce always takes as much heat as he does, he's a great basketball player. It seems whenever anyone talks about the C's though it's always about dealing Pierce.

llabb
06-26-2005, 06:58 PM
Yes, the Celts had a great season several years ago, predicated primarily on Jim O'Brien's defensive schemes combined with a very weak Eastern conference. I agree that they have a good team now and will be a division contender. I just do not think that means much, and they will not be a championship contender with Pierce.

In several years, just when their young talent is maturing, Pierce will be past his prime. However, trading him now could yield a #3 pick which will be as good as Pierce or better, maturing at the same time as the rest of the team, PLUS cap space for another All-Star. Obviously, this all depends on good execution by management, plus continued development of the young talent. But 2 potential All-Stars > Pierce. Worth the risk, since the cannot win a title with the team as presently constructed.

I am not saying that I think Pierce sucks. He is an ideal 2nd superstar, or the central figure on a well-rounded team like Det. But he does not fit with the current direction of the Celts' team, because their future is in the young guys, and Pierce will just be too old by the time all the others are ready. So I think Celtic fans should put their hope in a trade and the future instead of the current team, that's all.

---------

On the Miami-front, I am not saying they are not a good team. What I am saying is that current-day Shaq is overrated. He is past his prime, rapidly declining, and will never again be completely healthy through both the regular season and playoffs.

D-Wade is awesome, but with Shaq declining and being unreliable, Miami cannot beat Det, Indy, SA, or Pho without signing a 3rd star. Which means that they may still compile a great regular season record, but will not win it all next year as presently constructed. If someone can argue against that, I would be interested in that discussion.

jakethebake
06-26-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can we please have hockey back now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you promise to take to Canada where it belongs, and keep it there.

oneeye13
06-26-2005, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can we please have hockey back now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Please no.

Seems like of all the guys in the league, Shaq is still the only one who will always score if he gets it on the circle. That makes it harder to help and the other players' shots get easier.

Phoenix1010
06-26-2005, 07:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, the Celts had a great season several years ago, predicated primarily on Jim O'Brien's defensive schemes combined with a very weak Eastern conference. I agree that they have a good team now and will be a division contender. I just do not think that means much, and they will not be a championship contender with Pierce.

In several years, just when their young talent is maturing, Pierce will be past his prime. However, trading him now could yield a #3 pick which will be as good as Pierce or better, maturing at the same time as the rest of the team, PLUS cap space for another All-Star. Obviously, this all depends on good execution by management, plus continued development of the young talent. But 2 potential All-Stars > Pierce. Worth the risk, since the cannot win a title with the team as presently constructed.

I am not saying that I think Pierce sucks. He is an ideal 2nd superstar, or the central figure on a well-rounded team like Det. But he does not fit with the current direction of the Celts' team, because their future is in the young guys, and Pierce will just be too old by the time all the others are ready. So I think Celtic fans should put their hope in a trade and the future instead of the current team, that's all.

---------

On the Miami-front, I am not saying they are not a good team. What I am saying is that current-day Shaq is overrated. He is past his prime, rapidly declining, and will never again be completely healthy through both the regular season and playoffs.

D-Wade is awesome, but with Shaq declining and being unreliable, Miami cannot beat Det, Indy, SA, or Pho without signing a 3rd star. Which means that they may still compile a great regular season record, but will not win it all next year as presently constructed. If someone can argue against that, I would be interested in that discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I agree with pretty much everything you've said here.

I really hope that Pierce realizes that he's really meant to be the greatest second banana of all time, and take a pay cut and go to a contender. He is the missing piece to someone's championship team.

Of the teams you listed, the only team the Heat can't beat for sure is San Antonio. I think they've proven that they can hang with the best teams in the East, and I have no idea what would happen in matchup with Phoenix (not that it matters, I say again that there's no way Phoenix is getting by San Antonio by their own actions). Shaq's health and production will of course be a concern, but there is no indication that there will be a significant dropoff in his abilities from this year to next year. I think it's safe to assume that he will continue to be a dominant force in the league for at least two more seasons, and besides that, it's Wade's team now anyway.

I do however agree that it's silly to predict that Miami will win the title next year, although I do think they have a good shot at making the finals. I do not think they have what it takes to unseat San Antonio. However, with a player as special as Dwyane Wade on the team, anything is possible.

Clarkmeister
06-26-2005, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
do however agree that it's silly to predict that Miami will win the title next year, although I do think they have a good shot at making the finals. I do not think they have what it takes to unseat San Antonio

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. While they have a short window due to Shaq's health, to me it seemed pretty clear that this year San Antonio, Detroit and Miami were all pretty equal and any of them were capable of winning this year. Of those teams, I think Miami has the most room to move forward next year as health (at least with Wade) and chemistry can only improve.

The team that really needs to take a huge step forward next year is Houston. If they don't at least get out of the first round, it's time to reevaluate their plan and make some changes.

llabb
06-26-2005, 08:24 PM
Good thoughts here, guys. Can't argue against D-Wade, he's a stud. It's Shaq that I was really talking about. His numbers have been falling a fair amount, but people haven't recognized it yet; instead, he is still considered "the most dominant" in the game.

Last year he averaged 7 fewer points and 3 fewer rebounds than when he really was dominant, in the Lakers first championship run with him in the '00 season. His points have fallen greatly in just the last 2 years, and last year was his lowest scoring average ever, other than previous year when he had fewer shots due to 4 Hall-of-Famers playing together. His rebounds last year were the lowest ever. And that is in the East, which should be easier than ever for him since it is undersized compared to the West. With these drops, he could conceivably average less than 20 pts, 10 rebs next year, which plenty of guys get.

He is nowhere near the most dominant in the game, and it is laughable that he was up for MVP last year, when D-Wade is clearly the MVP of that team.

Anyway, Miami is still a good team, just not a contender. As is, they will NOT win next year, D-Wade's improvement notwithstanding.

llabb
06-26-2005, 08:35 PM
I agree on Houston needing to step up, but don't know if it'll happen. I think a number of teams have a better shot than them, even some surprise teams like Denver may get out of the first round before Houston does.

Clarkmeister
06-26-2005, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree on Houston needing to step up, but don't know if it'll happen. I think a number of teams have a better shot than them, even some surprise teams like Denver may get out of the first round before Houston does.

[/ QUOTE ]

Denver's problem is they need Andre Miller to get back to the 10apg guy he used to be, Camby to stay healthy, find a shooting guard somehow and Carmello to stop regressing. That's a big parlay, even if they don't need all of those parts. If they find a decent 2, they could really be nice, and they have the right trade bait to get it done.

augie00
06-27-2005, 04:08 PM
The Chicago Bulls

Drac
06-28-2005, 04:36 PM
Pacers, if Artest plays basketball and not mindfuckball.