PDA

View Full Version : checking behind on the river (boring/standard)

stankphish
06-24-2005, 12:05 PM
Is it +EV to check behind on the river when a scare card comes? Yesterday I played a few hands where a scare card came on the river and got check-raised to me and where I called and got shown the suckout.

For example (from memory)
Im dealt KK in mid position and raise. All fold to the big blind who calls.

Flop comes 3 rags no draws and BB bets, I raise.

Turn another rag checked to me and I bet.

Ace comes on the river, villain thinks for a while then checks. I bet he raises. Hero calls.

With no draws on the board I had put villain on a medium-small wired pair or top pair, maybe some over cards.

Should I have just checked behind on the river when the Ace came?

SmileyEH
06-24-2005, 12:15 PM
It depends /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

-SmileyEH

QTip
06-24-2005, 12:16 PM
Depends on your opponent. As SSHE points out, value bet loose opponents to death. You'll fall into traps now and then, but that's just how it goes with aggressive play. The bets you lose getting c/red by suckouts will not even come close to the amount you gain from loose, bad opponents calling you down with whatever junk they brought to the river.

crunchy1
06-24-2005, 12:18 PM
Failing to value-bet the river in SSHE games, in situations similiar to the one you just described, is going to cost you mucho BBs over the long haul.

crunchy1
06-24-2005, 12:20 PM
I make notes on players that do this to me and then become more inclined to check-behind from time to time on scary rivers.

I'm not checking behind against regular or unknown opponents. I'm only doing it with a specific note that I've taken.

stankphish
06-24-2005, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the advice, probably something I should have already known. In that particular hand Villain showed AQ off and dragged the pot.