PDA

View Full Version : Time To Turn My Game Around

CIncyHR
06-24-2005, 11:13 AM
So I've been on a pitiful downswing this summer and its really making me wonder about if I was actually a winner or not. So if the board would oblige, I would like to post hands that trouble as I'm playing. Here are a few candidates from this morning (all hands at Stars 1/2)

Hand 1
PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (4 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls.

River: (8 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 8 BB

Hand 2
PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, MP calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, BB folds, MP folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 6.25 BB

Hand 3
PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (2.50 SB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP checks.

Turn: (1.25 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls.

River: (3.25 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls.

Final Pot: 5.25 BB

Thanks in advance for the help. Sorry if these are obvious or boring. Im just reeall questioning myself.

mister
06-24-2005, 11:16 AM
Any reads on the first hand ?

I think the last 2 look fine

CIncyHR
06-24-2005, 11:19 AM
It was like my 5th hand at the table, so read.

spydog
06-24-2005, 11:25 AM
Hand 1: I think I just call the turn bet and hope for overcallers. The donkbet looks like he spiked top pair and I'm not sure what raising accomplishes.

Hand 2: Looks fine.

Hand 3: Why didn't you bet this flop? Anytime you pair on the flop HU in an unraised pot, you have a strong hand. Your hand is vulnerable, though, and you can't afford to give a free card. What if he bets the flop? Are you planning to CR or check-fold? You might as well go into your closet and shut the door because you will be in the dark for the rest of the hand when you check this flop.

krishanleong
06-24-2005, 11:33 AM
all good. Hand 1 is a particularly good free showdown raise.

Krishan

pudley4
06-24-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed on 1 and 2.

Hand 3, I bet the flop, for the reasons outlined by previous posters.

spydog
06-24-2005, 12:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious what others have to say about this hand because I think it's pretty interesting. I don't think Villian donkbets into 3 players on the turn with a hand that you beat so I'm unsure about the raising for a free showdown play.

Wes ManTooth
06-24-2005, 12:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1: I think I just call the turn bet and hope for overcallers. The donkbet looks like he spiked top pair and I'm not sure what raising accomplishes.

Hand 2: Looks fine.

Hand 3: Why didn't you bet this flop? Anytime you pair on the flop HU in an unraised pot, you have a strong hand. Your hand is vulnerable, though, and you can't afford to give a free card. What if he bets the flop? Are you planning to CR or check-fold? You might as well go into your closet and shut the door because you will be in the dark for the rest of the hand when you check this flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed, also betting the flop is key, you dont want villian to get a free card on the turn, this hand you want to take the pot down early.

JrJordan
06-24-2005, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious what others have to say about this hand because I think it's pretty interesting. I don't think Villian donkbets into 3 players on the turn with a hand that you beat so I'm unsure about the raising for a free showdown play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just call this turn as well. Pockets 5's have little to no showdown value against this turn bet since he's ahead here about 85% of the time he does this (unless we have a donk read).

droolie
06-24-2005, 12:28 PM
I don't understand why we want to raise for a free showdown in hand 1. When we get donk bet we have to assume we are behind and need to make our str8 to win, right? (We have a very low middle pair at this point) Why not just call and keep the others around and encourage the donker to lead into us on the river? If we hit we can raise if we don't we can fold. Do we really like our chances at SD enough here to raise? (I have a real problem with raising donkbets and need to understand this better)

krishanleong
06-24-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why we want to raise for a free showdown in hand 1. When we get donk bet we have to assume we are behind and need to make our str8 to win, right? (We have a very low middle pair at this point) Why not just call and keep the others around and encourage the donker to lead into us on the river? If we hit we can raise if we don't we can fold. Do we really like our chances at SD enough here to raise? (I have a real problem with raising donkbets and need to understand this better)

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it's not so good. /images/graemlins/smile.gif It's good if you can be ahead here some % of the time. The reason is you get to showdown for the same price as call call plus you eliminate 2 players who have live draws against you from the hand. The drawback is you have an 8-10 out draw that might come in. So if you want to play it for draw value a call is much better as it increases your implied odds significantly.

It all depends on how often he is ahead here but if it's significant a raise is great. I'm not sure it is significant though.

Krishan

paco
06-24-2005, 01:10 PM
1. If the blinds are tight I think you can raise this pf. That way you probably would have went bet bet check.

2. I think you wasted a sb on the flop call. The board is uber-coordinated, neither of your overcards are of the appropriate suit. Even if you do spike your overs you are vulnerable to redraws. Its not that big a deal in this decent-sized pot I think though.

3. I think this river is a definite check-call. I think he'll only call when you're beat but may bluff. Definitley need to bet the flop tho.

My analysis is a little different than some more veteran members--anybody who would play back at me about this stuff would be appreciated.

CIncyHR
06-24-2005, 02:18 PM
The feedback is awesome, thanks. In hindsight the raise with the 55 is probably -EV. I figured there was at least a chance I was ahead, plus i had 10 outs to improve.

Thanks for the chat guys.