PDA

View Full Version : A set of 5/10 6 max questions....

mtdoak
06-24-2005, 10:47 AM
#1. What is the best way to learn shorthanded play cheaply so I can be prepared for 5/10 6 max? I am a long term winning player at 3/6 full.

#2. On rake rebates. At full table, your rake rebate (at least in my deal) is determined by your rake share, i.e. Rake from every hand/number of players in the hand *rake rebate %. At 6 max, are you getting a much healthier rake rebate because its only 6 handed and your rake share is greater?

#3. Are there any good books/sections/posts on 2+2 that talk about the skills of becoming a good 6 max/shorthanded player. (I've read HPFAP, so i know about that one)

#4. What is a good win rate at 6 max? Is 2 BB/100 attainable?

And finally

#5. What is a good table VP$IP of a 6 max table.

I did a search on these in the forums before posting and I couldn't find much on these subjects.

Thanks!! I'm still a little away from having a good BR for 5/10 6 max (500 BB), but I want to start learning to play shorthanded so I can make the jump when I'm ready.

krishanleong
06-24-2005, 10:51 AM
1. Play stars 2/4 to 3/6 or pokerroom 2/4 + 3/6 or paradise 3/6

2. yes, rakeback is worth a ton.

3. not much. I haven't read it but yao's book is suppose to be the largest number of sh pages in any book. Syudying here is #1 by a long shot.

4. I'm starting to think 2 per is godlike. (I use to think 4 per was godlike)

5. 38+

Krishan

Scotch78
06-24-2005, 11:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
#1. What is the best way to learn shorthanded play cheaply so I can be prepared for 5/10 6 max? I am a long term winning player at 3/6 full.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a recent post of mine, Naphand ranked his favorite sites for 2/4 and 3/6. I would recommend playing some 3/6 at all of them. Party's 1/2 won't prepare you well for 5/10, and everybody I know who has played multiple sites felt it was a good learning experience.

[ QUOTE ]
#2. On rake rebates. At full table, your rake rebate (at least in my deal) is determined by your rake share, i.e. Rake from every hand/number of players in the hand *rake rebate %. At 6 max, are you getting a much healthier rake rebate because its only 6 handed and your rake share is greater?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, that's pretty much it. Average pot size, and thus rake, is the same, but you get in more hand per hour and are splitting it less ways.

[ QUOTE ]
#3. Are there any good books/sections/posts on 2+2 that talk about the skills of becoming a good 6 max/shorthanded player. (I've read HPFAP, so i know about that one)

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I recommend the HUSH archives.

[ QUOTE ]
#4. What is a good win rate at 6 max? Is 2 BB/100 attainable?

[/ QUOTE ]

For Party's 5/10, 2 BB/100 multi-tabling is certainly attainable, but it's also an achievement you should be proud of if you reach it.

[ QUOTE ]
#5. What is a good table VP$IP of a 6 max table.

[/ QUOTE ]

For 5/10, I generally wouldn't sit if the table VP$IP was under 35%. That said, I only import observed hands with the full six players, so if your datamine includes 4- and 5-handed games it will give looser numbers for the same players.

Scott

spydog
06-24-2005, 11:03 AM
1) Try playing 2/4 or 3/6 at sites that offer shorthanded games at these levels. UB, Paradise, Absolute, Poker Room, Stars, etc.. all offer these games. If you haven't signed up at these sites, most will offer deposit bonuses and at least two of them you can get rakeback. Adding more sites to your playlist should be easy if you have a Neteller account. An added benefit is that you won't be able to rely on PV and will be forced to pay closer attention to what is going on by making detailed notes. I think you are coming from 3/6 full at Party where PV is a huge benefit. It won't help as much in shorthanded games.

2) Yes. Rake rebates are much better at SH tables than full.

3) This forum is by far the best source of information for shorthanded play. Read-post-read and repeat.

4) 2BB/100 is easily attainable at lower levels but will be harder to approach at higher limits (10/20 and above).

5) Instead of looking for a specific VPIP, look for loose-passive and tight-passive players. Or loose-aggressive players that play poorly postflop. Playing at a table full of TAGs and LAGs that play well postflop will make it difficult to beat the rake.

Also, try playing 1 or 2 tables initially and pay close attention to the styles of your opponents. Good shorthanded play is much less ABC poker than 3/6 full at Party (if that's where you play) since you will be pushing small edges much more often.

Good luck!