PDA

View Full Version : $22: 5-handed, appropriate "any two" stop-and-go?

spentrent
06-24-2005, 10:24 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t1655)
MP (t3040)
Button (t1015)
SB (t1500)
Hero (t790)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t300</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls t150.

Flop: (t675) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets 490 all-in

Karak567
06-24-2005, 11:53 AM
I think you are getting called on the flop 90 % of the time.

spentrent
06-24-2005, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you are getting called on the flop 90 % of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

Karak567
06-24-2005, 11:56 AM
Because to the donks that play the 22s, a bet of 490 doesn't look like much.

I am assuming he is a donk because he min-raised.

spentrent
06-24-2005, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Because to the donks that play the 22s, a bet of 490 doesn't look like much.

I am assuming he is a donk because he min-raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably a decent assumption.

However, I think that even a "donk" will fold if he didn't hit his two big cards. I figured that with my stack at this point in the game, I needed to do something to have a chance to finish ITM.

Had you been in this spot (in a $22), would you have simply folded here and hoped for a better spot in the next few hands?

Does this play have more merit at a higher buy-in? Or would you safely assume that a $215 minraiser is just a "donk" with more money?

11t
06-24-2005, 01:12 PM
I agree, when I see a short stack call off a large% of their chips I just assume they are pushing preflop. I think most players do as well.

tjh
06-24-2005, 01:18 PM
At this point in the game you should have some kind of read on UTG. What do you think he was up to ?

Playing a good hand. Then fold preflop.
Pushing people around...
If so you can either push back preflop or stop and go.
I am not a huge fan of stop and go. Folks here like it though. If you want to start using the "stop and go" I believe you may have found a place for it with this hand.

Use the stop and go here if you have some read that implies that this guy does not understand pot odds or does not know what to do post flop. Some guys are only aggressive preflop. After the flop they are more or less playing the cards.

Youshould also have some sort of read on how likely you can steal. If the stealin will be easy then you should add more wieght to the option of folding preflop.

By this point in the tourney your players behavior matters more than the cards.

--
tjh

kyro
06-24-2005, 01:34 PM
I like your avatar. Is that Penn/Teller?

I like the play by the way. You're getting real short and after this hand have almost no FE.

schwza
06-24-2005, 01:34 PM
i'd fold pre-flop unless he's been extremely aggro. i like the flop push.

spentrent
06-24-2005, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like your avatar. Is that Penn/Teller?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think so, though I don't know which is which. I jacked this from someone on another board. /images/graemlins/cool.gif I need to make a new version of my robot-playing-poker avatar since it's not obvious that he's got a Party table in front of him...

http://www.afn.org/~ok/avatars/pokerbot.gif