PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY my first MTT win - Empire $15k

KyleM
06-24-2005, 03:43 AM
Empire $15,000 Guaranteed Thursday Night Poker (#361150)
$50+5, re-buys and add-ons

154 entrants

1st: $4050

gangsta_g985 - 1st place

I pretty sure that I never used a re-buy, but I don't really remember lol. Almost positive I didn't. Didn't use the add-on either - was outside smoking lol.

Nice way to finish my 3rd day playing NL.

About 10 FT's in 3 days now I think.

Just lettin ya guys know, and thanks for all of the insightful advice you guys have offered me.

Will post some FT hands if anybody wants to see.

ZBTHorton
06-24-2005, 03:44 AM
Major congrats!

KyleM
06-24-2005, 03:46 AM
Thank you /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Jernej Zorec
06-24-2005, 06:38 AM
grats, thatsgreat preformance /images/graemlins/smile.gif

KyleM
06-24-2005, 01:59 PM
bump for the guy that told me i was going to lose my bankroll

Laomedon
06-24-2005, 02:23 PM
I didn't say you were going to lose your bankroll... In fact, I'm sorry that I made the post to begin with, because I didn't phrase myself well. What I really meant was that overconfidence can be extremely damaging especially if it is coupled with inexperience.

The ups can be sublime, but the downs can be... demoralizing, to say the least.

HonchoOverload
06-24-2005, 02:25 PM
"FINALLY" after three days

sketch
06-24-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"FINALLY" after three days

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah. Wait until the 9 month dry spell occurs.

mmbapmashida
06-24-2005, 03:46 PM
10 Final Table's in 3 days...that's just crazy.

Any pointers for me? If I'm lucky...1 final table a month. Haha...

KyleM
06-24-2005, 07:19 PM
It must be rough to be dealt 27o every hand for 9 months. So far I've only seen face cards, which is probably why I've had so much success!!!

Mez
06-24-2005, 07:24 PM
Congrats Kyle. Still stinging from your AK out racing my KK. Not that this was in this tourney or anything.

KyleM
06-24-2005, 09:09 PM
lol i know how you feel. I busted out of two tournies earlier that day with KK against AK.

KyleM
06-25-2005, 10:39 AM
won another one, but it was a small 1k tourny on party, but there weren't any other tournaments goin on when i got home at 4am lol. 1st place good for $140.

ptmusic
06-25-2005, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
won another one, but it was a small 1k tourny on party, but there weren't any other tournaments goin on when i got home at 4am lol. 1st place good for $140.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn dude! You are in the zone!

Give us a strategy tip or two?

-ptmusic

KyleM
06-25-2005, 01:00 PM
well, here's the set-up for the play that won me both tournaments:

Heads-up I made min-raising from the SB with mediocre hands a lot. After a little while my opponents stopped folding entirely when I did this and pushed all in. I proceeded to do this a couple more times and folded to their all ins every time, thus making myself look like a predictable idiot. Then, I waited for a big hand (happened to be AK both times) and min raised. Villain pushed all in both times I did this - I called. Both times villain had dominated hand. Also did this in blind steal situations - I attempted to steal and was reraised all in and I folded. Did this another time then got a big hand and raised like I was stealing blinds again - but this time I called the all in and took all of my chips back /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Another play that I made a huge amount of chips from was calling when a player tried to make a squeeze play against me, but you need to have a read on them to call their all in
with a hand like A8s - not a great hand but it sure beats Q4o lol.

Made another ITM since last post and busted w/AK against JJ ($50). Busted 20 from ITM in another w/AK against AJ. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Playing party $30 rebuy right now - just started. Limit tourny. =\

ptmusic
06-25-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
well, here's the set-up for the play that won me both tournaments:

Heads-up I made min-raising from the SB with mediocre hands a lot. After a little while my opponents stopped folding entirely when I did this and pushed all in. I proceeded to do this a couple more times and folded to their all ins every time, thus making myself look like a predictable idiot. Then, I waited for a big hand (happened to be AK both times) and min raised. Villain pushed all in both times I did this - I called. Both times villain had dominated hand. Also did this in blind steal situations - I attempted to steal and was reraised all in and I folded. Did this another time then got a big hand and raised like I was stealing blinds again - but this time I called the all in and took all of my chips back /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Another play that I made a huge amount of chips from was calling when a player tried to make a squeeze play against me, but you need to have a read on them to call their all in
with a hand like A8s - not a great hand but it sure beats Q4o lol.

Made another ITM since last post and busted w/AK against JJ ($50). Busted 20 from ITM in another w/AK against AJ. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Playing party $30 rebuy right now - just started. Limit tourny. =\

[/ QUOTE ]

Were your steal attempts minraises too? In what level did you start making these "moves"?

Other than those moves you talk about, how tight do you play (are you a Harrington or a Negreanu)?

-ptmusic

Jurollo
06-25-2005, 02:50 PM
I think it is great you are doing so well to start. But as seen in another thread of yours you dismiss the fact that you are just on a heater and variance will eventually kick you in the butt for a little while. New players always overestimate their skill when they are running good and overestimate their poor luck when they are running bad.
~Justin

KyleM
06-25-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it is great you are doing so well to start. But as seen in another thread of yours you dismiss the fact that you are just on a heater and variance will eventually kick you in the butt for a little while. New players always overestimate their skill when they are running good and overestimate their poor luck when they are running bad.
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet. I can't wait to lose all of my money.

MicroBob
06-25-2005, 06:53 PM
I generally agree with jurollo here and also think kyle is taking his insightful comments to seriously (otherwise he wouldn't be insulted by them in the least).
I've been winning a heckuva lot lately in my tourney play....and I know that sooner or later my AK will stop golding up against 99 on virtually EVERY all-in situation I find myself in.

My question goes to the original post though.
Not taking the re-buy NOR the add-on just seems -EV to me.
Just something that stood out to me.

KyleM
06-25-2005, 07:35 PM
Indeed, I didn't double immediately for some reason (don't kno wwhy lol) and doubled up on the third hand I think. I was outside smoking during the break and forgot to add on which put me in a tough position since the players on both sides of me had stacks 3 times bigger than mine. Managed to win it all though. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

KyleM
07-01-2005, 03:46 AM
Tournament results since last update:

6th in empire 10k - $700
6th in party $55 (630 ppl - total prize: $31.5k) - $1260

Several other small cashes here and there for about a total of $500 or so.

Lost in the party $55 tournament when I was all in w/AKs against QQ - was 4th in chips =\

The luck just never runs out. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Abagadro
07-01-2005, 04:24 AM
Glad you could use my chips from that monumental KJ v. JJ suckout you pulled on me.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif Gratz!

EDIT: Woops-thought this was from tonights. My bad.
FabAb1

KyleM
07-01-2005, 08:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Glad you could use my chips from that monumental KJ v. JJ suckout you pulled on me.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif Gratz!

EDIT: Woops-thought this was from tonights. My bad.
FabAb1

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm i remember the hand but i'm not sure if that was the 10k or the 15k - if it was the 15k i ended up losing lol. either way thanks for the chips /images/graemlins/grin.gif. yea I got pretty lucky there lol. the suckouts at the 10k final table were insane though.

Player 1: KK
Player 2: KTo

flop: 7 8 4 rainbow

Player 1 pushes and player 2 calls for about 50k chips. Player 2 hits runner runner straight. lol. Didnt finish watching the tournament but that guy came in 1st or 2nd, after eliminating 3rd place with another ridiculous suckout lol.