PDA

View Full Version : Raise/fold - umm bluff?

pufferfish
01-26-2003, 02:42 PM
This hand came up in a pretty soft micro-limit game.

I'm in EMP with Ah 9s.

Folded to me and I open-raise. CO and BB call.

FLOP: [ Kc Ks 8d ]

Crap, I'm gonna bluff.

BB checks, I bet, CO and BB call.

TURN: [ Kc Ks 8d ] [ Td ]

BB checks, I bet, CO calls and BB folds.

OK, one down and one to go.

RIVER: [ Kc Ks 8d Td ] [ 6c ]

I bet and pray, CO thinks and folds.

Was this just dumb? Is it anything close to how you win a hand without the best cards?

I'm sure some of you will say I should have dumped the hand pre-flop. For me it was a close call between raising and folding. I sure don't think you want to open-limp with A9o, would you?

Any comments (even flames) would be appreciated.

ZManODS
01-26-2003, 02:53 PM
Well you said you were playing in a mirco limit game so the chances you are playing against someone who is really good is quite slim. Up against a really good person who is capable of making a really tough fold youre play would have been correct. But most likely you werent playing with someone of that nature. Im actually suprised no one called you down to see what you had. Usually in low low limit hold em, you need the best cards to win, bluffing should be kept to semi-bluffing if anything. One thing that did help you out was youre raise preflop, but like you said, you probably should of just folded them. Hope this helped.

Homer
01-26-2003, 03:11 PM
Preflop: I would fold unless the table was exceptionally tight.

Flop: I would bet if doing so would give me a reasonable chance of taking the pot down right there. With a flop of KK8 and only two opponents, I think a flop bet is +EV in games that aren't very loose.

Turn: I would check-fold. There were no draws for CO and BB to be calling with on the flop, which means that they were most likely calling with a made hand. I am guessing that CO has a pocket pair.

River: I think betting the river is -EV, given that CO called on the turn. What has changed between the turn and river that is going to cause CO to fold to your river bet?

........I can't believe CO folded to your river bet. I have no idea what he had. He must be a fish.

-- Homer

Clarkmeister
01-26-2003, 03:38 PM
Seems like you played it perfectly to me. The river bet is essential to allow a better ace to fold.

ni han

pufferfish
01-26-2003, 03:42 PM
Turn: I would check-fold. There were no draws for CO and BB to be calling with on the flop, which means that they were most likely calling with a made hand. I am guessing that CO has a pocket pair.

Having made the decision to bluff at the flop I can't afford a check. If someone raises me that's different, I can fold, or bluff re-raise. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

River: I think betting the river is -EV, given that CO called on the turn. What has changed between the turn and river that is going to cause CO to fold to your river bet?

CO may have picked up a straight or flush draw on the turn. Maybe it took him until the river to decide his small pair wasn't gonna hold up.

This was a table where lots of hands were being won without a showdown. That's why I tried the bluff and I'm surprised that it took until the river to shake CO off.

Oh well, it was fun to play.

Dynasty
01-26-2003, 05:08 PM
Is it anything close to how you win a hand without the best cards?

The only way to win without the best cards is to put the last bet into the pot. I've won many pots like this. You should definitely do this occassionally. Just don't get carried away with it.

You should also be willing to check you uninproved overcards. Yesterday, I raised 5 limpers with AhQh. The flop was all rags and it got checked around. The turn was a rag and it got checked around. The river was a rag and it got checked around. Somebody who flopped a pair of 5's won the pot. I'm sure I could have bet my way to victory in that hand but you can't do it everytime.

I'd open raise with A9o in late position but not in EMP. Let it go there. It's not close.

bernie
01-26-2003, 06:08 PM
i think you thought this hand out very well in advance. and took prior hands into consideration. on the flop, youre right, your deciding whether your going to bluff and how far and when youll give up....once they call the turn bet, you pretty much have to bet the river if you think there's a chance theyll lay down...

i agree with clarks/dyansties take on it....

i also want to reiterate one of dynastys lines....'dont get carried away with it'...

pick your spots. some will be more common than others...but the way you looked at this hand, it seems you picked your spot pretty well...

this also can work well, on this type of table, after showing down a strong hand. it's fun to run over a table for 1/2 hour. just watch for the signs of them starting to call and pay off...

nice hand...

b