PDA

View Full Version : What's this bump on my dogs neck?

j0ep0ker
06-24-2005, 12:16 AM
There is a bump under her skin on her neck. There is no bite marks or anything. It is soft. I just noticed it today. What could it be???

Drew16
06-24-2005, 12:24 AM
A tumor. My dog has one, I had the vet check it and he said it was nothing to worry about.

j0ep0ker
06-24-2005, 12:25 AM
MY DOG COULD BE DYING.. GIVE ME AN ANSWER

Stuey
06-24-2005, 12:25 AM
Both dogs have it?

Don't worry she will be fine just keep her away from cars that's a much worse killer than cancer when it comes to dogs.

It's a plague! (http://www.i-dog.com/board/messages/46/20488.html)

cbfair
06-24-2005, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
MY DOG COULD BE DYING.. GIVE ME AN ANSWER

[/ QUOTE ]

Call your vet's office tomorrow morning and ask them what to do. It's probably nothing to worry about and unless the dog is exhibiting any unusual behavior right now, it almost certainly won't die overnight. Strange behavior would be seizures, excessive vomiting, foaming at the mouth, etc, etc. In the absence of these symptoms, sleep well and call the Dr. in the morning.

I've seen dogs develop very large soft tissue growths that the vet insists are completely harmless - labs seem particularly susceptible.
cbf

Blarg
06-24-2005, 12:41 AM
Could be an abcess, caused by almost anything. Could be benign or malignant. Dog diseases sometimes progress VERY quickly, so see the vet, but don't wait long.

IHateKeithSmart
06-24-2005, 12:51 AM
There is one thing called a lypoma (fatty tumor) that is harmless. My dog had one, and I had it removed and checked. She has a couple more now, my vet was saying her dog has about 15 of them. My dog is almost 9 yrs old.

fluxrad
06-24-2005, 01:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A tumor. My dog has one, I had the vet check it and he said it was nothing to worry about.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct.

Until your dog is diagnosed years later with lymphoma and you insist on being in the room when they put him to sleep, and you get to see his tongue flop out of his mouth as his head slowly drops to the table under its own weight.

Oh...and since you were probably wondering, you never forget the image of his head on the vets table. You will remember it as clear as day for the rest of your life.

IHateKeithSmart
06-24-2005, 01:07 AM
Damn dude, that is sad.

Brainwalter
06-24-2005, 01:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and call the Dr. in the morning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Answers that question from this afternoon.

siccjay
06-24-2005, 02:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct.

Until your dog is diagnosed years later with lymphoma and you insist on being in the room when they put him to sleep, and you get to see his tongue flop out of his mouth as his head slowly drops to the table under its own weight.

Oh...and since you were probably wondering, you never forget the image of his head on the vets table. You will remember it as clear as day for the rest of your life.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would cry.

Blarg
06-24-2005, 03:49 AM
Yeah but as strange as it sounds, it's probably the best thing for both of you to share the end.

Drew16
06-24-2005, 08:09 AM
Yes, I have had a dog put to sleep before.Since you obviously know more than the vet what do you suggest I do?

Blackjack
06-24-2005, 08:13 AM
Neck Herpes

jakethebake
06-24-2005, 08:50 AM
It's probably just a fatty tumor. Most dogs get them as they get older, but some younger dogs have them too. If it starts to grow, especially rapidly, take the dog to the vet ASAP!

benza13
06-24-2005, 11:58 AM
As has been noted, many times bumps on dogs are common and not a serious problem, they should still be checked out. The last dog in my family had something like 8-10 bumps under her skin of varying sizes. We eventually put her to sleep due to other health problems when she couldn't really walk anymore. The bumps were never a problem.

hogua
06-24-2005, 12:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well playted... I guess. Damn, I think I'm going to cry

jakethebake
06-24-2005, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. My wife's dog got some kind of lump in his neck. When we took him to the vet it was growing so rapidly that you could almost see it getting bigger. He was strangling, and they couldn't figure out what it was. We put him to sleep. She pushed the pink juice herself, and when she did it she said, "Run Bubba Wiezel, run. Granny's waiting for you." (The wife's granny used to walk him every day, and she had just died recently.) I was all teary-eyed when I heard that. Anyway, my wife was a vet tech, and she was very calm and professional...until later when we got home.