PDA

View Full Version : Giving Too Much Action

Jeffage
06-24-2005, 12:08 AM
7-handed 30 game. Party. I openraise in the cutoff with A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. The button coldcalls and both blinds calls. 4 to the flop of Q /images/graemlins/club.gif2 /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Check to me, I bet, button calls, folded back to BB who checkraises. I call, button calls. Turn is the 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif so I picked up the big draw. BB bets, I raise, button folds, BB calls. Is this kind of raise ever valid online. I possibly blow the button off the best hand and charge BB if he got aggro with a straight draw, maybe he'd fold some pair (not top). I just feel I burn cash doing this [censored] sometimes but you gotta mix it up, no? River is the 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif and it goes check-check. He's not folding anything that beats me at this point since he called the turn. Results later. Comments?

Thanks,
Jeff

andyfox
06-24-2005, 12:12 AM
"I openraise in the cutoff with A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif."

I did that once with Snakehead sweating me. Big mistake in every way.

The raise on the turn when a flush draw appears, at least in my game, is much less successful now than it was a few years ago.

FWIW, I'd have folded when I got check-raised on the flop.

Jeffage
06-24-2005, 12:15 AM
I don't see how I can fold the flop getting 11-1 when I likely have 5 outs plus runner runner possibilities. I hate my turn play though I think.

Jeff

Tony.T
06-24-2005, 12:33 AM
Almost never works and for sure not in this spot.
Looks cool, but no
U will even or more bets by calling by the way
and when U miss you save one BB

Lestat
06-24-2005, 01:07 AM
If you play like this all the time it's gonna be a ball and chain on your earn. But there's nothing wrong with it in spots where you feel it may be justified. This means some possibility exists of getting a hand or hands to fold that should've called if they knew what you had. Going from just a 65% dog to a 60% dog in a large pot is more significant than most people realize.

So all in all, I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. It rarely works, but it doesn to have to work often. <font color="red"> I possibly blow the button off the best hand and charge BB if he got aggro with a straight draw, maybe he'd fold some pair (not top).</font> seems reasonable enough to me.

If you want to think about something, think about whether your check on the end was right. It's usually worth one more to get him to fold at 11 to 1. But you know the player better than I do. Also, CAREFUL with A2/A3!! They can get you in trouble! Good luck.

roy_miami
06-24-2005, 02:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"I openraise in the cutoff with A 2 ."

I did that once with Snakehead sweating me. Big mistake in every way.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is interesting because this hand looks like a monster to me in this spot. I think I have been openraising with this in the hijack. Is it a muck then? Limp? Does it matter if the blinds are too loose or too tight?

The Truth
06-24-2005, 03:50 AM
I like the hand. I would like it much better if you had some reads, because this play is either really really good, or really really bad, depending of if the players fold ever.

mike l.
06-24-2005, 04:47 AM
"I just feel I burn cash doing this [censored] sometimes but you gotta mix it up, no?"

no.

oreogod
06-24-2005, 06:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I'd have folded when I got check-raised on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Taking just odds into account, can u fold to a check raise here?

as far as the turn raise, I dont mind it, it will probably get u a free showdown, depending on the player you are up against...but I doubt he's folding. So pretty much you are doing it for a free showdown, in which u check behind, or get another bet in if u hit.

Jeffage
06-24-2005, 08:30 AM
My opponent had Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif so his pair was good. I rarely pull this move online because it doesn't seem to work often (people don't seem to fold ever), but I felt this was a spot where it might be right. Interesting discussion...I think I just call next time in this spot.

Jeff

Net Warrior
06-24-2005, 08:48 AM
I read a thread around her a long time ago that said never play a hand with a 2 in it. It's been working for me and I highly recommend it. I guess you can add a 3 to that list but then where do you stop? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

bicyclekick
06-24-2005, 08:52 AM
Hmmm, I'm raising this in the CO every time. I'm pretty sure it's profitable, no?

BarronVangorToth
06-24-2005, 09:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm, I'm raising this in the CO every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. And it's not close.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com (http://www.BarronVangorToth.com)

andyfox
06-24-2005, 11:59 AM
I usually discount my ace "outs" since opponent like to play A-whatever and in this case it might make somebody a straight.

La Brujita
06-24-2005, 12:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm, I'm raising this in the CO every time. I'm pretty sure it's profitable, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

ActionBob
06-24-2005, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely a no-brainer IMO.

-ActionBob

highland
06-24-2005, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
likewise. I default to folding this in the hijack. A2o, i raise from the button only.

cheers,
highland

MrStretchie
06-24-2005, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I read a thread around her a long time ago that said never play a hand with a 2 in it. It's been working for me and I highly recommend it. I guess you can add a 3 to that list but then where do you stop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? 22? A2s in LP with limpers? K2s, Q2s, 23s from the SB? etc.. (not to mention blind steal attempts)

Maybe something about rarely open-raising a hand with a two in it.. But as a general rule, general rules suck.

Net Warrior
06-24-2005, 08:47 PM
There are obvious exceptions. You're always going to play Axs or 22 when there are enough limpers. You're almost always going to play xxs for half a bet. Other that those, I like folding a 2.

Lawrence Ng
06-25-2005, 06:43 AM
I'd just call that turn, or 3-bet the flop and check the turn unimproved and then take it from there..

Lawrence

imashyboi
06-25-2005, 07:11 PM
I think instead of raising the Turn, I'll call instead. BB already showed some aggresstion postflop which means he has a pair or a 8 outer draw. The raise on the Turn isn't that bad because you'll hit the nuts if another flush hits or the other 2's. Since the player is unknown, I would just call. I don't know whether he's willing to let go a hand in this spot. A better raise would be a 3bet on the Flop and taking the free card on the Turn if you don't improve. You save 1 small bet since your not calling the river anyways unless you hit, but gain more if you hit.