PDA

View Full Version : 5-10 Hand: When Tricky Players Get Cute on the Flop

Jeffage
01-26-2003, 10:46 AM
I think I botched this one. I have KdQd in the BB. 4 limpers, SB comes, I raise, all call. Flop comes 5d-8d-3x giving me two overcards and a 4 flush. Check to me, I bet, all fold to SB who checkraises me. I reraise. He calls. Now here is where I screw up I think. He checks, but I just get the feeling I'm gonna get banged by either a big hand (set) or even a pair or nothing bc he puts me on overs only and likes to "outplay" people. He seems to constantly do this. So when he checks, I check behind. The river blanks off and he checks, and since I messed up at this point, I check again. He shows 66 and when I run into him in the bathroom later he told me he put me on AK and was planning to check-call me to the river. Part of me feels I should have bet the turn but maybe long run that bet isn't good against this type of player or maybe I should have just called the CR on the flop and raised turn no matter what to get him to fold. Any comments on this hand?

Jeff

Dynasty
01-27-2003, 01:40 AM
maybe I should have just called the CR on the flop and raised turn no matter what to get him to fold.

You should be doing this some of the time. If other players were in the pot, then a 3-bet would have been correct.

Jeffage
01-27-2003, 07:27 PM
Are you saying a 3-bet was incorrect here? If so, how would you play this hand...I mean if he has just a pair I am probably even money or close to it to beat him. If he is just taking a shot, I want to get him off a hand right? How would you approach this situation with a superdraw, heads up against the strange CR directly to ur right?

Jeff

Dynasty
01-27-2003, 09:24 PM
I think I'm agreeing with your analysis. When it's heads-up, you can raise the flop some of the time simply for value since your 15-outer is a slight favorite against any pair. Other times, you call the flop bet and raise the turn when you miss to make him fold any pair hand which beats you. If you make the flush or a pair (especially Queens) on the turn, trap him.

If it's 3-way action or more, you should 3-bet everytime and shouldn't worry whether opponents behind you call two more bets or fold. You'll show a profit regardless of what your opponents do.

BTW, when he does this again when you're holding an overpair, you should definitely just call his flop bet and raise him either on the turn or river depending on the board texture.

mojolang
01-28-2003, 12:27 AM