PDA

View Full Version : Notorious LHE poster(s)...

jrbick
06-23-2005, 11:06 PM
...who are they? Me want search.

gumpzilla
06-23-2005, 11:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You try post this in limit ring forum, maybe have better luck.

wuwei
06-23-2005, 11:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah, that's true - or just go read the forum for a bit and get a feel for who you like.

Ed Miller, Guy On Tilt, Stellarwind, Nate tha Great, and Joe Tall will get you started.

jrbick
06-23-2005, 11:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since I'm referring to LHE SGTs (location dictated specific reference to SGTs), perhaps choosing to post in such a location as this forum was indeed...proper.

No hard feelings.

wuwei
06-23-2005, 11:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Since I'm referring to LHE SGTs (location dictated specific reference to SGTs), perhaps choosing to post in such a location as this forum was indeed...proper.

No hard feelings.

[/ QUOTE ]

There isn't much discussion of limit in this forum - 'bout the only person I can think of who's posted on limit STTs recently is Phil Van Sexton.

jrbick
06-23-2005, 11:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah, that's true - or just go read the forum for a bit and get a feel for who you like.

Ed Miller, Guy On Tilt, Stellarwind, Nate tha Great, and Joe Tall will get you started.

[/ QUOTE ]

Should I be gathering that there is really no difference between cash-play and SGT-play for LHE? If so, just kill this post cuz I came over here from playing cash games (sucessfully) (found out that it's illegal to play cash games on the internet in VA so I switched as buying into a tourney is permissable).

Scuba Chuck
06-23-2005, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Should I be gathering that there is really no difference between cash-play and SGT-play for LHE? If so, just kill this post cuz I came over here from playing cash games (sucessfully) (found out that it's illegal to play cash games on the internet in VA so I switched as buying into a tourney is permissable).

[/ QUOTE ]

Does SGT mean Single Game Tournament? I've never seen SGT.

Also, how is it illegal in VA to play in cash games on the internet, but not tournaments? This is very confusing to me. It's my understanding that internet poker is illegal in general, across the country. Aren't you taking this a little too far?

gumpzilla
06-23-2005, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Should I be gathering that there is really no difference between cash-play and SGT-play for LHE?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be very surprised if this is true, as I doubt you play many cash games with a stack of 5 BBs, and not being able to reload is a major issue. Heavy-duty blind stealing in later rounds is going to be the key, just as it is in NLHE SNGs. And barely anybody posts limit STT hands.

4T25Q85
06-23-2005, 11:22 PM
I play LHE SnGs, but the questions in my posts are rarely answered with any coherence.

I think its just you and me here dude /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'll try to answer your Q.s if you can try to answer mine

lorinda
06-23-2005, 11:25 PM
Should I be gathering that there is really no difference between cash-play and SGT-play for LHE

LHE SNGs are nearer to NL SNGs than they are to LHE ring games.

I'm not particuarly useful at them so I won't elaborate but I'm confident the above statement is reasonable.

Lori

Nottom
06-23-2005, 11:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(found out that it's illegal to play cash games on the internet in VA so I switched as buying into a tourney is permissable).

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you please give me some sort of source on this?

GrekeHaus
06-23-2005, 11:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Should I be gathering that there is really no difference between cash-play and SGT-play for LHE?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, this is false. A lot of the properties of SNG NL tournaments (such as relative chip value, gamblers ruin, and having few chips in relation to the blinds) are all things that occur in SNG Limit tournaments as well. There are lots of obvious differences, but often times you get so short stacked that once you raise preflop, even though you're technically all-in yet, you and your opponent know that you're going to the river.

I've played a couple hundered in my lifetime, with limited success and I might be able to answer some of your questions. Two things are certain: The players are worse and the tournaments take much longer.

jrbick
06-23-2005, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Also, how is it illegal in VA to play in cash games on the internet, but not tournaments? This is very confusing to me. It's my understanding that internet poker is illegal in general, across the country. Aren't you taking this a little too far?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen SGT somewhere else as " Sit and Go Tournament"

I'll switch over to STTs though /images/graemlins/wink.gif

The law states not to "place a bet or a wager" Aren't tournament buy-ins exactly that, "buy-ins" (a.k.a. a purchase that gains allowance for participation)? Am I crossing hairs or isn't this different than "betting" or "wagering"? I mean of course this same principal is true w/ cash games (no money no play), but in cash games you literally sit down to bet/wager money. In tournaments, you make an initial purchase and you bet/wager chips that have no correlary value to the initial cost of the "buy-in".

Let the flaming come forth, and I expect to hear from M on this.

Scuba Chuck
06-24-2005, 12:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen SGT somewhere else as " Sit and Go Tournament"

I'll switch over to STTs though /images/graemlins/wink.gif

The law states not to "place a bet or a wager" Aren't tournament buy-ins exactly that, "buy-ins" (a.k.a. a purchase that gains allowance for participation)? Am I crossing hairs or isn't this different than "betting" or "wagering"? I mean of course this same principal is true w/ cash games (no money no play), but in cash games you literally sit down to bet/wager money. In tournaments, you make an initial purchase and you bet/wager chips that have no correlary value to the initial cost of the "buy-in".

Let the flaming come forth, and I expect to hear from M on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is all you're going on, I would play whichever games make you feel the most confident. I wouldn't switch games just because of your literal reading of the law.

jrbick
06-24-2005, 12:12 AM
How else should we take the law? Allegorically? /images/graemlins/wink.gif It's pretty clear to me (as well as in ALL states other than KY and the D.C.) that you can't place bets/wagers on things/events which the outcome of is uncertain. Some states have taken pains to specify internet, but I don't think VA has because really their law is sufficient to cover all bases (was put to vote in 2002 but defeated).

If I'm wrong in interpreting a tournament buy-in as a literal purchase (thus not a "bet/wager" -- check Websters), could someone point that out?

jrbick
06-24-2005, 12:15 AM
http://www.gambling-law-us.com/State-Laws/Virginia/

4T25Q85
06-24-2005, 12:17 AM
Wait?, is this thread about Limit SnGs or federal law?

GrekeHaus
06-24-2005, 12:18 AM
Laws on internet gambling are very sketchy right now because technically all the bets take place on a server that is not located in the country.

I would not expect the government to clarify this law anytime soon, since it allows them the opportunity to retax millions of dollars each year.

I think you're fine legally to keep playing any game you want.

jrbick
06-24-2005, 12:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Laws on internet gambling are very sketchy right now because technically all the bets take place on a server that is not located in the country.

I would not expect the government to clarify this law anytime soon, since it allows them the opportunity to retax millions of dollars each year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Technically, you (we) who place these bets are located within state-lines. Believe me, if I could get a gov. official to concur on that particular matter (server location), then I'd be sitting at a few 2/4 tables right now. But, unfortunately VA law prohibits the Attorney General for VA to comment on the Law of VA (I tried). Makes sense...(?)

microbet
06-24-2005, 12:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Nothing in this article shall apply to any bingo game, instant bingo, raffle, or duck race

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to quit poker and take up duck racing. Don't forget your duck racing permit.

gumpzilla
06-24-2005, 12:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

You need to quit poker and take up duck racing. Don't forget your duck racing permit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think when I read the laws of the State of Maryland on this subject out of curiosity, there was a section on how you weren't allowed to bet on any game, or jai alai.

bluefeet
06-24-2005, 12:30 AM
<---- duck racer: all-area 1987

jrbick
06-24-2005, 12:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nothing in this article shall apply to any bingo game, instant bingo, raffle, or duck race

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL -- in my defense, I moved here about 2 years ago from the North East where I assure you NO duck racing takes place. I raised an eyebrow here too. For some REAL humor check out Missouri's law:

572.020. 1. A person commits the crime of gambling if he knowingly engages in gambling.

2. Gambling is a class C misdemeanor unless:

(1) It is committed by a professional player........................................
.................in which case it is a class D felony.

GrekeHaus
06-24-2005, 12:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Technically, you (we) who place these bets are located within state-lines. Believe me, if I could get a gov. official to concur on that particular matter (server location), then I'd be sitting at a few 2/4 tables right now. But, unfortunately VA law prohibits the Attorney General for VA to comment on the Law of VA (I tried). Makes sense...(?)

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that we disagree on this point is the exact reason you would never prosecuted for online gambling. All your lawyer would have to do is convince the jury that the law is unclear on this point and there's no way they could convict you. As I said before, the government is making a mint by being able to retax all of this money, so it's unlikely to be clarified any time soon. The reason the Attorney General wouldn't comment is likely because the government hasn't taken an official stance on this topic yet.

So if you're worried about legal ramifications of gambling, don't be because:

a) it's unclear as to whether or not you're actually breaking a law
b) Even if you're breaking a law, the government would never want to prosecute you for breaking this law because then the would start to lose a lot of money in dollars of additional tax revenue
c) Even if the government did decide to prosecute you, it would have a hard time convicting you because of a)

GrekeHaus
06-24-2005, 12:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

<---- duck racer: all-area 1987

[/ QUOTE ]

<---- 15 duck tackles for a loss in 1987 bro!

TheNoodleMan
06-24-2005, 12:45 AM
duck racing blind calcutta anyone?

TheNoodleMan
06-24-2005, 12:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that we disagree on this point is the exact reason you would never prosecuted for online gambling. All your lawyer would have to do is convince the jury that the law is unclear on this point and there's no way they could convict you. As I said before, the government is making a mint by being able to retax all of this money, so it's unlikely to be clarified any time soon. The reason the Attorney General wouldn't comment is likely because the government hasn't taken an official stance on this topic yet.

So if you're worried about legal ramifications of gambling, don't be because:

a) it's unclear as to whether or not you're actually breaking a law
b) Even if you're breaking a law, the government would never want to prosecute you for breaking this law because then the would start to lose a lot of money in dollars of additional tax revenue
c) Even if the government did decide to prosecute you, it would have a hard time convicting you because of a)

[/ QUOTE ]
d) if you are good at poker, you can afford a decent lawyer

BDarch
06-24-2005, 12:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm in

GrekeHaus
06-24-2005, 12:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm in

[/ QUOTE ]

if we're gonna have a blind calcutta, shouldn't we have a live action one as well? I've got $100 on bluefeet. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BDarch
06-24-2005, 12:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm in

[/ QUOTE ]

if we're gonna have a blind calcutta, shouldn't we have a live action one as well? I've got $100 on bluefeet. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm maybe I should quit poker and just start breeding ducks for duck racing...

GrekeHaus
06-24-2005, 12:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
hmmm maybe I should quit poker and just start breeding ducks for duck racing...

[/ QUOTE ]

Frankly, I'm surprised it took you this long to come up with this idea.

bluefeet
06-24-2005, 09:45 AM
i have put on a couple pounds over the years....we'd have to find us a purdy sturdy duck!

spentrent
06-24-2005, 10:10 AM
My dad plays a lot of $6 and $11 LHE SNGs. He's about 50% ITM playing Grandma-tight early but pushing any edge... late in the game -- 4,5 players -- you just bet your big card to the river and hope it holds up. These games get to a point where folding on any street is essentially busting out anyway.