View Full Version : Apartment building laundry ettiquite! Resolution necessary!

dtbog
06-23-2005, 07:35 PM
Hey all -

So, here's the situation. I'd like a ruling -- you guys are better than Ann Landers any day.

I live in an apartment building in which there are seven separate apartments (it's actually an old house), and there is one washer and one dryer in the basement.

I put my clothes in the washer, which is set to finish at 5:30. I come down at 5:32 and my clothes are neatly stacked in a pile on a dirty couch next to the washing machine, and a very quiet Asian girl unapologetically looks at me and asks that I move the rest of my clothes. (couldn't she at least have put them in the dryer??) I oblige, putting my clothes in the dryer and starting the cycle.

Now wash cycles take 30 minutes, and dry cycles take 1 hour. When I come down an hour later (pretty much to the minute), my wet clothes are on the couch, and her dry cycle says '45 minutes remaining.'

Obviously, if she stopped my dryer in the middle of a cycle, took my clothes out, and put her clothes in, she's a bitch. That doesn't need debate.

My question, therefore, is this -- if my dry cycle had finished, but was for some reason ineffective in this old dryer and left my clothes still damp...

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-23-2005, 07:37 PM
pooper time

Gallopin Gael
06-23-2005, 07:38 PM
Light her's on fire.

That'll learn her.

dtbog
06-23-2005, 07:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Light her's on fire.

That'll learn her.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOLOL... or better yet, pour some gasoline in with the clothes, and attach a piece of flint to one side of the dryer door and another piece of metal to the other.

Then close the dryer door verrrrryyyy carefully.

-dB

Dynasty
[ QUOTE ]
pooper time

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a strange topic to come up so often.

dtbog
[ QUOTE ]
pooper time

[/ QUOTE ]

She had a lot of clothes, man. They're not all fitting up there.

-dB

Yeti
06-23-2005, 07:47 PM
If I was her I'd have waited a couple of minutes and put your clothes in the dryer. It obviously looks a little bad if you walk in immediately after but having lived in a similar situation, there are some idiots who won't show up for hours.

Kinda confused on the last bit. She's taken your clothes out 15 minutes early and now they're still wet? Tell her to fuck off?

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-23-2005, 07:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
pooper time

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, what do you know? This is OOT. Anyway, for a serious answer, this chick is despicable. There's not one thing I hated more when I was living in an apartment/dorm than some bitch messing with my laundry. If it's been a while and I've been delinquent, then that's one thing. If that's the case, then throw my [censored] in the dryer or if it's done in the dryer, then put it on top if it's dry (a lot of women will fold the clothes in this case, but that's certainly not expected). Any actions within 5 minutes of the cycle finishing other than transferring clothes from the washer to the dryer are criminal.

dtbog
06-23-2005, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Kinda confused on the last bit. She's taken your clothes out 15 minutes early and now they're still wet? Tell her to fuck off?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I assume that she took them out 15 minutes early -- but let's ignore that. Let's say my watch was broken, or the plug on the dryer fell out, or whatever.

Would you remove someone's WET clothes from a dryer? ...or would you assume that someone is still using that dryer?

Assume, since she saw that I came down immediately after my washer load finished, that she knows I didn't leave town, and I'm not a jerk who commandeers the machines for 6 hours.

-dB

jakethebake
06-23-2005, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you guys are better than Ann Landers any day.

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like a dear bison to me.

jakethebake
06-23-2005, 07:51 PM
Call her "oriental". That'll teach her.

dtbog
06-23-2005, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Call her "oriental". That'll teach her.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-23-2005, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I assume that she took them out 15 minutes early -- but let's ignore that. Let's say my watch was broken, or the plug on the dryer fell out, or whatever.

Would you remove someone's WET clothes from a dryer? ...or would you assume that someone is still using that dryer?

Assume, since she saw that I came down immediately after my washer load finished, that she knows I didn't leave town, and I'm not a jerk who commandeers the machines for 6 hours.

-dB

[/ QUOTE ]
There is only one circumstance under which another person's wet clothing should ever come out of a dryer without his/her permission. That is if the person has left it in there for an excessive amount of time after the cycle was over.

Iplayragstoo
06-23-2005, 07:56 PM
Take her [censored] out, toss it back in the washer, and sacrifice the 1$ to wash it again, except time use lots of starch or bleach /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Blarg
06-23-2005, 08:16 PM
This situation sucks. Revenge must be taken.

This happened to my roommate once. He took the guy's jeans and flung them into the swimming pool.

I had someone throw their diapers in with my wash(making the whole thing smell really strongly of piss) after I had left the washroom, and similar situations before. I took their stuff and put some of it in the dumpster and threw the rest of it over the hedges.

I also had a guy try to get in a fight with me for moving his laundry out of the dryer after it had been sitting there for an hour or so. It got so over the top eventually the apartment manager got into it. Apparently the guy was freaked out that someone came into contact with his wife's underwear. Coming from college campuses and from a big family, underwear doesn't have any significance to me unless it's dirty, but obviously this guy was freaky repressed and couldn't handle it. Eventually we walked away okay with each other, but it was getting really weird and on the edge.

Laundry crap is weird, but I wouldn't let the girl get away with it. Figure out something, but do something, even if it's only pulling the plug out of the wall. The bitch cost you time and money; you don't want her in the habit of thinking pooping on you is cool and totally consequence free.

dtbog
06-23-2005, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The bitch cost you time and money; you don't want her in the habit of thinking pooping on you is cool and totally consequence free.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, since this is a first offense and she strikes me as the type who is more 'in her own world' than she is malicious, the only retaliation was to take her laundry out while it was still spinning, and use her quarters to finish drying my laundry.

I came down 10 minutes before it was supposed to finish (at which point my clothes were definitely dry), and took mine out, and replaced them with her wet clothes.

Basically, I transferred the wasted time and money onto her.

Seemed fitting.

-dB

TBag
06-23-2005, 08:28 PM
Well played.

Blarg
06-23-2005, 08:40 PM
Very nicely done.

I wouldn't separate being in your own world from being malicious necessarily, but you played it well. Especially by not being caught.

fluxrad
06-23-2005, 08:56 PM
Maybe I'm just *super* considerate, but I always wait until I know the other person has forgotten about their [censored] or left it in for at least 20 minutes over before I take their [censored] out. You figure, that's another person's underwear, socks, and other personal [censored]. One should not mess with another person's personal garb unless it's as a last measure.

Personally, I think the woman is a c00nt and you need to politely tell her to leave your [censored] alone until you're done.

Oh...and take her [censored] out of the dryer early. Bonus points for starting a "permanent press" cycle for her if she's got anything cashmere in the wash.

gorie
06-23-2005, 09:04 PM
i hate taking other peoples clothes out of the dryer, but i have to sometimes when they leave it in for a long time (like over an hour) and i start to get annoyed.

if they're still wet, i might wait a little longer than i would if they weren't. but still, if they're noticably not being considerate themselves by leaving the stuff sit forever, then i just pile them up on the dryer and put my stuff in.

i get really annoyed when i walk into the laundry room to find my underwear piled up on a washer or dryer though.

disjunction
06-23-2005, 09:11 PM
Too sneaky for my taste.

Blarg
06-23-2005, 09:18 PM
It's a little annoying on some level, but kind of like when someone makes a face when you fart. You kinda had it coming.

The laundry thing is more avoidable, too, so unless they're putting my stuff somewhere dirty or letting some of it drop on the ground and not picking it up, I'm cool with it, either doing it or having it done with me. I even think it can be kind of jerky holding the machines hostage by not moving your stuff. That gives people no choice. Heck, it's probably even passive aggressive.

gorie
06-23-2005, 09:28 PM
i agree with you.

i understand when people move my stuff (though usually i'm pretty good about my timing), but when i have like 2 loads and one is clothes and stuff , and the other is underwear stuff, they always go for taking the underwear out,!

i always avoid the underwear dryers if possible when i have to remove someone elses laundry.

also, if all 5 dryers are taken, and i have 3 loads or something, i usually just remove stuff from one and deal with just using the one, rather than takings omeones stuff out of 3 of them, just cuz i feel weird doing it in the first place.

but yeah, holding laundry machines hostage is quite jerky.

kerssens
06-23-2005, 09:32 PM
This story makes me glad I have a washer/dryer in my apartment.

kerssens
06-23-2005, 09:36 PM
At least they're not wearing your underwear when you get there....or are they? /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

jstnrgrs
06-23-2005, 09:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-dB

[/ QUOTE ]
There is only one circumstance under which another person's wet clothing should ever come out of a dryer without his/her permission. That is if the person has left it in there for an excessive amount of time after the cycle was over.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the dryer is not running, I'm taking the cloths outweather they're wet or not. I shouldn't have to wait because I have no way of knowing if you'll be back in a few minutes, or a few hours. I'm not going to restart the dryer because I don't know if your cloths require hot or cold or permanent press, or if you want to hang the on a cloths line or whatever else people do with their laundry. (I'd hate to re-start the dryer, and then hear that your cloths shrunk or something.)

If you don't want me to touch your cloths, you should be there on time.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-23-2005, 09:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-dB

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If the dryer is not running, I'm taking the cloths outweather they're wet or not. I shouldn't have to wait because I have no way of knowing if you'll be back in a few minutes, or a few hours. I'm not going to restart the dryer because I don't know if your cloths require hot or cold or permanent press, or if you want to hang the on a cloths line or whatever else people do with their laundry. (I'd hate to re-start the dryer, and then hear that your cloths shrunk or something.)

[/ QUOTE ]
That's fine that you don't want to re-start the dryer because you don't want to damage anything, but you have to at least give the person a minute or two to get there after the cycle finishes.

jstnrgrs
06-23-2005, 09:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-dB

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That's fine that you don't want to re-start the dryer because you don't want to damage anything, but you have to at least give the person a minute or two to get there after the cycle finishes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I generally give a minute or two (but not five), but if someone moves my stuff right when its done, I don't think I can complain because if I didn't want it touched, I should have been there.

Blarg
06-23-2005, 09:54 PM
Taking them out when they're still wet slides pretty easily over into lame territory.

There's really no ground to stand on as far as what's fair to you, if you don't care if you're cool to someone else.

Seems to me that's kind of the thing you do when you're trying to pick a fight, or just totally into yourself like the girl was that the OP was talking about, kinda ME ME ME ME ME so SCREW YOU.

Don't take it personally, but, sorry, I think that's lame and kind of spoiling for a fight. Tbere's definitely aggression buried in it. It doesn't even cover that basic rule of fairness and getting along with people of first come, first served. You have to give the person at least 10 minutes or so to check their laundry -- some kind of reasonable time interval. The machine being stopped doesn't mean anything just by itself. And if they had the machine, first come first served means you have no business basically stealing the machine if they're not done with it. Which at least you could find out one way or the other if you give them a chance to check their clothes. If you don't do at least that much, you have no ground to stand on.

Seriously, if it was like my kid or I was a cop or something and someone told me he took someone's wet clothes out of the dryer and got punched for it, I'd tell him, "No kidding." and maybe "Some people have to learn everything the hard way, huh?"

bholdr
06-23-2005, 09:57 PM
I would talk to her about it and ask her (politely) to keep the hell away from your clothes. tell her that the dirty couch necessitated another load (i would re-wash if my stuff was put on a dirty public couch), and explain that she should not be removing your clothes from a running dryer, weather she is in a hurry or not. If it happens again:

I can solve your problem in three easy steps:

1: go to grocery stre and buy a salmon
2: wait until she does it again
3: you know.

well... i geuss that doesn't really solve anything, but fk her anyway.

Felix_Nietsche
06-23-2005, 10:05 PM
You were inconsiderate.
When sharing only one W/D among 7 apartments it is a huge pain to get your laundry done. When someone:
1. leaves their laundry and
2. the machine has finished its cycle.

Then the machine is fair game. I've seen jerks leave their laundry in dryers for three hours. The world does not revolve around you. If I were her I would have put your clothes in the dryer and then commandeered the washer but she was under no obligation.

I suspect you left your clothes unattended longer than you let on. She probably waited 15 minutes (or more!) for you to return, got tired of waiting, and started doing her laundry.

If she were really nice, she could have put your wet clothes in the dryer but she was probably MAJORLY IRRITATED with you for wasting her time...

CallMeIshmael
06-23-2005, 11:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey all -

So, here's the situation. I'd like a ruling -- you guys are better than Ann Landers any day.

I live in an apartment building in which there are seven separate apartments (it's actually an old house), and there is one washer and one dryer in the basement.

I put my clothes in the washer, which is set to finish at 5:30. I come down at 5:32 and my clothes are neatly stacked in a pile on a dirty couch next to the washing machine, and a very quiet Asian girl unapologetically looks at me and asks that I move the rest of my clothes. (couldn't she at least have put them in the dryer??) I oblige, putting my clothes in the dryer and starting the cycle.

Now wash cycles take 30 minutes, and dry cycles take 1 hour. When I come down an hour later (pretty much to the minute), my wet clothes are on the couch, and her dry cycle says '45 minutes remaining.'

Obviously, if she stopped my dryer in the middle of a cycle, took my clothes out, and put her clothes in, she's a bitch. That doesn't need debate.

My question, therefore, is this -- if my dry cycle had finished, but was for some reason ineffective in this old dryer and left my clothes still damp...

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave, this experience reeks of Cornell. Are you in Ithaca for the summer?

Dead
06-24-2005, 01:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Well, what do you know? This is OOT. Anyway, for a serious answer, this chick is despicable. There's not one thing I hated more when I was living in an apartment/dorm than some bitch messing with my laundry. If it's been a while and I've been delinquent, then that's one thing. If that's the case, then throw my [censored] in the dryer or if it's done in the dryer, then put it on top if it's dry (a lot of women will fold the clothes in this case, but that's certainly not expected). Any actions within 5 minutes of the cycle finishing other than transferring clothes from the washer to the dryer are criminal.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are way off base. I had to deal with this [censored] during my first two years of college, living in the dorms. If your laundry is done, and you've left it and don't come back within 5 minutes of it finishing, then you forfeit your right to use the washer/dryer until she has finishes hers. I'm going to take your clothes out and put them on top. I don't care if they're done or not. IF you had been there when the cycle finished(or very soon after), THEN you would have the right to run it through again. But otherwise no.

As someone else said, the world does not revolve around you. You epitomize the me-me-me SUV culture that we find ourselves in today.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-24-2005, 01:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are way off base. I had to deal with this [censored] during my first two years of college, living in the dorms. If your laundry is done, and you've left it and don't come back within 5 minutes of it finishing, then you forfeit your right to use the washer/dryer until she has finishes hers. I'm going to take your clothes out and put them on top. I don't care if they're done or not. IF you had been there when the cycle finished(or very soon after), THEN you would have the right to run it through again. But otherwise no.

As someone else said, the world does not revolve around you. You epitomize the me-me-me SUV culture that we find ourselves in today.

[/ QUOTE ]
You just summarized exactly what I said, assbag. Also, I am very much not the SUV me-me-me culture. You epitomize the illiterate idiot bigmouth troll culture that we find ourselves knee-deep in today.

Dead
06-24-2005, 01:22 AM
It wasn't directed at you.

I just quoted your post. I was directing it to the original poster. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Regards,
Dead

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-24-2005, 01:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It wasn't directed at you.

I just quoted your post. I was directing it to the original poster. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Regards,
Dead

[/ QUOTE ]
Alright, sorry for going off, then. It's been a real long day. You gotta put a word in there about it being directed at the OP.

fluxrad
06-24-2005, 01:28 AM
Holy [censored] some people are cut-throat on this board.

2-7 minutes? Are you guys timing the people in front of you?

I live in an apartment building and there are ~9 apartments to a washer/dryer. If there's someone using the washer, I come back later. I don't [censored] time them. I don't wait for the load to finish. I just come back later. If it's busy again, then I'll try to come back when the cycle is complete (i.e. if there's 15 minutes left, I'll come back in 15 minutes or so)

If I'm in a situation where the dryer is taken then I'll wait for it. I'll leave my stuff in the washer for a few minutes (usually ~15) and see if the other person has got their stuff out. If not, then I'll pile it on top of the dryer. But this horseshit about waiting like five minutes is just ridiculous. Don't you have other stuff to do? Go clean your friggin' mirror so you can stare at yourself init. That must take five minutes.

Idunno - what really irritated me was this "me me me" post above, about how people who don't come back quickly enough are inconsiderate. What about the people who automatically assume a load that's been left in the washer for 5 minutes has been abandoned? They're not inconsiderate or impatient?

[censored] people.

If it's been sitting there for 15 minutes then go ahead and put the load in the dryer, or pile the dried load up on top of the dryer. But for chrissakes, most of us don't have egg timers set just for laundry. Waiting like 5 minutes and throwing someone's laundry out on its ass is just anal and impatient.

Dead
06-24-2005, 01:37 AM
Just shut up dude.

You're even worse than the OP.

There is only ONE washer unit and ONE dryer unit in his apartment. That girl(by the way what the [censored] does her being Asian have to do with anything? he wouldn't say "white girl" if she was white) was in the right, and he was in the wrong. It's just that simple. When you live in an apartment building or in a dorm, and you put a load of laundry in, you should be there within 5 minutes of it finishing. If you can't be, then you shouldn't bitch about someone removing your laundry and putting it on top. They shouldn't even have to though. When I was at college and someone had left their [censored] in one of the units that wasn't going, I would just take the [censored] out and throw it on the floor. I wasn't about to fold it and make that kind of effort when they were being inconsiderate pricks.

fluxrad
06-24-2005, 01:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When I was at college and someone had left their [censored] in one of the units that wasn't going, I would just take the [censored] out and throw it on the floor. I wasn't about to fold it and make that kind of effort when they were being inconsiderate pricks

[/ QUOTE ]

This pretty much sums up why your opinion doesn't matter.

In any thread.

Ever.

jakethebake
06-24-2005, 08:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you not read the part where she took his clothes out 15 minutes before his dryer cycle was done? Dryer cycle is an hour. He came back in an hour. Hers cycle had 45 mins left => she took his out 15 mins early.

dtbog
06-24-2005, 09:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dave, this experience reeks of Cornell. Are you in Ithaca for the summer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yessir!

Up at the vet school at 9 AM every day... it's nice up here though.

Any plans to come up to TS?

-dB

dtbog
06-24-2005, 09:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Dave, this experience reeks of Cornell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the girl's Asian?

-dB

Shajen
06-24-2005, 09:43 AM
My solution to this problem was to do my laundry at like 3 in the morning. No one else around, it was quiet, and I could get it done quickly. Throw the cloths in the washer, get 45 minutes of sleep. Wake up, throw them in the dryer, get an hour of sleep.

Rinse and repeat.

Of course, the best solution is to get your own stuff.

Cyrus
06-24-2005, 10:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ignore that. Let's say my watch was broken or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your clothes have been allowed the regulation 60 minutes and they are still wet, then the dryer has malfunctioned. Maybe it malfunctioned just that one time (you're unlucky) or it's damaged. This means that

(a) You are present when the dryer finishes the run and your clothes come out wet -- so that you can defend your claim that your clothes are not dry and the dryer's work is not done, in which case you need to re-use the dryer. (Which is kinda messy argument admittedly, because what happens if after the 2nd run your clothers are still wet? The answer probably is that you all need to make sure your building's dryer is working properly or needs more than 60 mins to properly dry the clothes, in which case your clothes are legitimately used also as a test and have the right for at least a 2nd run.)

or

(b) You are absent when your dryer run finishes, so the next user rightfully removes your clothes, in whatever condition they are in, and starts using the dryer herself.

Note that it's not up to the next user to determine whether your clothes are wet or dry or anything in-between. That's up to you to determine, hence the caveat about being present.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-24-2005, 10:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you need to re-use the dryer. (Which is kinda messy argument admittedly, because what happens if after the 2nd run your clothers are still wet?

[/ QUOTE ]
If your clothes are still wet after 2 cycles, then the dryer obviously isn't going to do the other person any good either, so this is moot.

jakethebake
06-24-2005, 10:04 AM
Type up some rules that YOU thingk are reasonable. Print them off and post them in the laundry room with "Thank you for your cooperation, The Management" underneath.

dtbog
06-24-2005, 10:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I suspect you left your clothes unattended longer than you let on. She probably waited 15 minutes (or more!) for you to return, got tired of waiting, and started doing her laundry.

[/ QUOTE ]

While this may be a valid proposal, it's not true. As the original post says, I returned an hour after my laundry was put into the machine for a 60 minute cycle.

Proof? Of course, I don't have any, but it suffices to say that I wouldn't see any purpose in posting an untrue story and expressing righteous indignation.

(Do people actually do that? Change important details of a story and then post them and say 'wow, what an [censored]'? when the guy himself actually beat up his neighbor's son or something?)

-dB

jakethebake
06-24-2005, 10:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You were inconsiderate.
When sharing only one W/D among 7 apartments it is a huge pain to get your laundry done. When someone:
1. leaves their laundry and
2. the machine has finished its cycle.

Then the machine is fair game. I've seen jerks leave their laundry in dryers for three hours. The world does not revolve around you. If I were her I would have put your clothes in the dryer and then commandeered the washer but she was under no obligation.

If she were really nice, she could have put your wet clothes in the dryer but she was probably MAJORLY IRRITATED with you for wasting her time...

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you make these assumptions? Why would he come to 00t and change all the details of a story? You're very odd.

Vavavoom
06-24-2005, 10:53 AM
nh sir

Nick-Zack
06-24-2005, 10:58 AM
For several years I owned laundromats. This exact scenario caused tons of problems as we didn't have enough dryers to cover all the washers and we didn't have enough of the large 50 lb. washers to make everyone happy.

The rule that I always enforced was that the washer or dryer is yours as long as it is running. The second that it stops it is then fine to take someone else's clothes out. The answer that I always gave to those that got upset was that their quarter(s) entitled them to the use of the machine for the time of the cycle and as long as they didn't want to pay rent for the using the machine after their cycle that it was someone elses turn.

This is a rather long answer to your question but I think she was right in taking your clothes out of the washer as the cycle had ended and she had no idea when you were coming back. You say you were 2 minutes late but many people leave and come back hours later. On the other hand she was clearly wrong taking your wet clothes out of the moving dryer. If the dryer was stopped, wet clothes or not, I am on her side on this one also.

STLantny
06-24-2005, 11:17 AM
Put HER in the dryer. Bitch.

bronzepiglet
06-24-2005, 11:55 AM
I think she was way wrong to do what she did... even if some cosmic principal of the universe says that "as soon as the cycle stops it's fair game" I still think it's inconsiderate and represents little respect for others.

That said, I don't know if you want to start a 'laundry war' (unless you love that sort of thing; then go for it). It's already irritating enough to have to do these tasks.

It may be a wuss thing to do, but I would maybe have asked her if she intends to do this every time, or maybe if she could wait 5 minutes next time. But you may have already retaliated in a such way that as far as the laundry war is concerned... it's on.

I'd like to know how this plays out.

bronzepiglet
06-24-2005, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
pooper time

[/ QUOTE ]

She had a lot of clothes, man. They're not all fitting up there.

-dB

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this was a hilarious post, BTW. I'm surprised it didn't get any explicit laughs.

Bulldog
06-24-2005, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the washer or dryer is yours as long as it is running. The second that it stops it is then fine to take someone else's clothes out. The answer that I always gave to those that got upset was that their quarter(s) entitled them to the use of the machine for the time of the cycle and as long as they didn't want to pay rent for the using the machine after their cycle that it was someone elses turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

bronzepiglet
06-24-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For several years I owned laundromats. This exact scenario caused tons of problems as we didn't have enough dryers to cover all the washers and we didn't have enough of the large 50 lb. washers to make everyone happy.

The rule that I always enforced was that the washer or dryer is yours as long as it is running. The second that it stops it is then fine to take someone else's clothes out. The answer that I always gave to those that got upset was that their quarter(s) entitled them to the use of the machine for the time of the cycle and as long as they didn't want to pay rent for the using the machine after their cycle that it was someone elses turn.

This is a rather long answer to your question but I think she was right in taking your clothes out of the washer as the cycle had ended and she had no idea when you were coming back. You say you were 2 minutes late but many people leave and come back hours later. On the other hand she was clearly wrong taking your wet clothes out of the moving dryer. If the dryer was stopped, wet clothes or not, I am on her side on this one also.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think things are different in a laudromat that has rules that are understood by everybody and are in place to keep the business from losing money and to avoid keeping people waiting away from their homes for longer than they have to.

In the apartments, I think there needs to be a grace period (at least 5 minutes) so people don't have to come down 15 minutes early just to guard their laundry; it's about everybody's convenience. Besides, these things don't have atomic clocks on them. I used to set a digital timer to go get my laundry the minute it was supposed to be done (according to the washer's digital timer) but it always ran slow... I'd imagine one could run fast, too.

Felix_Nietsche
06-24-2005, 03:39 PM
........projecting my bad experiences of coin-operated W/D on you. I have encountered a lot inconsiderate people who camp their clothes in coin operated W/D while other people sit around waiting for them to return. When you put your money in, the machine belongs to you for the machine cycle. Once the cycle is over, the machine is no longer yours.

But there are two sides to every story. It would be interesting to hear her side.

CallMeIshmael
06-24-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Because the girl's Asian?

-dB

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL... well...

Im sure the asian population is probably a hell of a lot higher at cornell than where you live /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Also, the laundry and living situations just sound like something that would happen at school.

CallMeIshmael
06-24-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Any plans to come up to TS?

-dB

[/ QUOTE ]

Im visting a friend who is off to grad school next year in August. We'll be hitting either TStone or Foxwoods.

But, regardless, I'll make an effort to overcome my feelings towards NL play and hit up some of games next year, since I've met several players on here.

djoyce003
06-24-2005, 03:48 PM
take a dump in the dryer with her clothes in there.

PLOlover
06-24-2005, 03:52 PM
In theater she's fair game, but unfortunately here in the states ...

bronzepiglet
06-24-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
take a dump in the dryer with her clothes in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could work if you had some chains to secure your own laundry against similar retribution.