Popinjay
06-23-2005, 06:58 PM
Can happiness exist without suffering?

Rev. Good Will
06-23-2005, 08:39 PM
No

KingMarc
06-23-2005, 09:08 PM
If I couldn't watch people suffer, I wouldn't be happy. So, no.

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-23-2005, 09:51 PM
If life's not beautiful without the pain,
well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.
<font color="white"> --Modest Mouse - The View
(not my opinion)</font>

CallMeIshmael
06-23-2005, 09:53 PM
http://img72.echo.cx/img72/908/breakdancingbear3qn.gif

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

drudman
06-23-2005, 10:09 PM
Sure, why not? Happiness is a chemical process in the body, as is suffering. One does not require the other.

The problem is linguistic. Inherent in most people's definition of "happiness" is not just happiness, but also a comparison to suffering.

If this is the actual definition we wish to use for "happiness", then yes, by definition, it cannot exist without happiness.

YourFoxyGrandma
06-23-2005, 11:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If life's not beautiful without the pain,
well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.
<font color="white"> --Modest Mouse - The View
(not my opinion)</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice.

CallMeIshmael
06-23-2005, 11:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sure, why not? Happiness is a chemical process in the body, as is suffering. One does not require the other.

The problem is linguistic. Inherent in most people's definition of "happiness" is not just happiness, but also a comparison to suffering.

If this is the actual definition we wish to use for "happiness", then yes, by definition, it cannot exist without happiness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, very nice post.

(But, Im pretty sure you need to get laid more /images/graemlins/blush.gif)

jason_t
06-23-2005, 11:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't this require that happiness and suffering because by two different chemical processes and not that one is an excess of a certain chemical and the other a deficit of the same chemical?

snowden719
06-24-2005, 05:28 AM
it depends on how one defines happiness, if happiness is defined as the etent to which my desires are fulfilled then it is obivous that a previous state of unhappiness or suffering is not a necessary condition of my present happiness. unless someone can give a better definition of happiness than the fulfillment of my desires I think it is clear that suffering is not necessary for happiness

drudman
06-24-2005, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand the question. Fix your grammar.
Wouldn't this require that happiness and suffering because by two different chemical processes and not that one is an excess of a certain chemical and the other a deficit of the same chemical?

[/ QUOTE ]

jason_t
06-24-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't this require that happiness and suffering be caused by two different chemical processes and not that one is an excess of a certain chemical and the other a deficit of the same chemical?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand the question. Fix your grammar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nit.

drudman
06-24-2005, 03:57 PM
Thank you.

From what little I know about neurobiology, I think happiness is caused by the presence of chemicals x, y, and z, while suffering is caused by the presence of chemicals a, b, and c. So I am presuming that they are two distinct chemical processes. I may be wrong.

jason_t
06-24-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thank you.

From what little I know about neurobiology, I think happiness is caused by the presence of chemicals x, y, and z, while suffering is caused by the presence of chemicals a, b, and c. So I am presuming that they are two distinct chemical processes. I may be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. That's what I was wondering.

CallMeIshmael
06-24-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is also far from my area of expertise, but I was under the impression that dopamine (among others) is responsible for both happy and sad.

But, again, hormones is one of my least favourite parts of biology.

jason_t
06-24-2005, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

This is also far from my area of expertise, but I was under the impression that dopamine (among others) is responsible for both happy and sad.

But, again, hormones is one of my least favourite parts of biology.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. That's what I was wondering.

Doh!