PDA

View Full Version : 30-60 Hand: Is My Play Any Good?

Jeffage
06-23-2005, 06:00 PM
5-handed 30-60 game on Party. I'm in the BB with A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. Folded to 2nd UTG who raises, folded back to me and I call. The flop is 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif10 /images/graemlins/club.gif. I check, he bets, I raise, he calls. The turn is the J /images/graemlins/club.gif. I bet, he calls. The river comes an offsuit 3. I bet, he raises, I call. Comments appreciated, particularly on the river (and turn play).

Thanks,
Jeff

MrStretchie
06-23-2005, 06:10 PM
Unpleasant hand.. I can't see him calling with hands that you beat on the river - maybe a check/call there is in order? (However, I mostly throw my thoughts out there so that somebody better can tell me why I'm wrong..)

dbecham
06-23-2005, 06:12 PM
pretty vague without player reads. the bet on the river leaves you suseptable to bluffs. However, your flop check raise tells him either you have a strong hand or strong draw. Thus it makes his raise here seem pretty valid. You are getting 9.5 to call.

JasonP530
06-23-2005, 06:16 PM
Played very well. I think not betting the river would be a mistake. If he had a 9 or a flush, you got outplayed(though you would usually play it the same way, and it is allowed). Would you call down if raised on the turn?

Masquerade
06-23-2005, 06:21 PM
I dont like raising the flop. I just call and check-raise the turn if a non-scare card comes. Jc is a scare-card so I'd just call and head for a cheapish showdown. After raising the flop you obviously felt committed to betting out on both the turn and river with very little, even so far as calling raises. Whatever the outcome of this particular hand that can't be +EV.

DpR
06-23-2005, 06:40 PM
I think you played it pretty standard. Against non depscript opponenet what else can you do?

Nate tha' Great
06-23-2005, 06:55 PM
I don't really like putting two bets in on the river unless your opponent is a real doofus. All your semibluffing hands got there on the turn so if he's called it's likely with a real hand (most of which beat yours at this point) or some sort of flush/straight redraw. There's no point in betting if he has the latter and the value proposition doesn't work out all that well if he has the former, as the only losing hands that are calling here are maybe KT/QT, which might often have reraised the flop anyway. At the very least it's a thin value bet and doesn't warrant putting 60 more bucks in against his raise.

DpR
06-23-2005, 06:58 PM
Really? I get called by 66 here in the party 30 all the time.

Michael Emery
06-23-2005, 07:41 PM
The upside to betting the river is that you'll likely extract $60 from small-medium pocket pairs here on many occasions when they call. The downside is you could run into a ugly check-raise like you did. This factor, along with the slight possibility of being able to snap off a bluff, make a check-call in my mind the right approach.

Mike Emery

Turning Stone Pro
06-23-2005, 07:50 PM
Sounds fishy, because if he had a big hand why would he not pop the turn without giving you a chance to check the river, which is what many posters have advised?

I certainly call the river raise, and I think your bet on the end is proper. I don't put him on a jack. Not saying this is a lock, or that you are even the favorite after the river raise, but this is certainly a call.

My guess is he had a pocket pair, under 9s, and YHWG, or maybe even 33, and YHWS**T.

TSP

Jeffage
06-23-2005, 10:11 PM
On the end, I called his raise and looked at J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif which I thought was a really bizarre river raise...I guess he figured I'd call with a ten but wouldn't reraise without a flush or boat. I'm surprised he didn't raise the turn though...maybe he would have if he hadn't improved and just tested me with his open ender. But he gave me a cheap shot if I had a queen or random club.

Jeff

Jeffage
06-23-2005, 10:13 PM
I'd probably have to call a turn raise b/c he could have something like AQ with the nut or near nut club draw.

Jeff

Jeffage
06-23-2005, 10:14 PM
I don't really want to see any card on the turn above a ten (even an ace isn't really ideal). Plus he could easily check behind on the turn and I give a disastrous free card.

Jeff