PDA

View Full Version : I'm being sued by the RIAA

phil_ivey_fan
06-23-2005, 04:34 PM
I'm looking for some advice. Basically, I got caught using i2hub for sharing and downloading music on the internet 2 backbone.

The riaa filed lawsuits against 400+ college student across the country for copyright violations. They filed the lawsuits as john doe lawsuits. They then supenoed the colleges to turn over the identities of the IP addresses in violation.

I found out back in april after the list of ip's from my school was leaked on the internet that I was one of the unfortunate 25 from my college. I immediately loaded my computer w/ spyware, backdoors, viruses, and then corrupted the OS. I took it to CompUSA so that I could get them to document all the things wrong w/ my computer. My school's legal services department just notified me 5 days ago that they are turning over my identity to the RIAA effective yesterday (jun22).

What should I do? The reason I messed up my computer was so I could have a shot at pleading ignorance. Is this a good idea or no? Should I just bite the bullet and pay the etsimated $3500 settlement fee?

The RIAA has still not released a statement on how they got access to the I2 backbone. They applied back in Dec. 2004 and were denied by the I2 Committee. Should I wait it out and hope that a ruling that the RIAA illegaly obtained the evidence?

- Phil

Frills
06-23-2005, 04:36 PM
Sorry, but you got caught stealing, get a good lawyer

pshreck
06-23-2005, 04:37 PM
Pay your 2,000 dollars and be done with it, not much else you can do.

wacki
06-23-2005, 04:38 PM
***RIAA was notified of this post. You will be returned to the forum immediately***

phil_ivey_fan
[ QUOTE ]
***RIAA was notified of this post. You will be returned to the forum immediately***

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

crap now I'm really f'd

wacki
^^^ was only joking.

IndieMatty
06-23-2005, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just pay the fine?

samjjones
06-23-2005, 04:40 PM
Stick it in her pooper?

icepick
06-23-2005, 04:40 PM
You played, and got caught. Pay up. Either to them or to a lawyer and gamble that he can get you off.

pshreck
06-23-2005, 04:41 PM
By the way, the school I went to (Lehigh University) refused to give the indentity of any of the ip addresses. Saved my ass...

phil_ivey_fan
06-23-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
By the way, the school I went to (Lehigh University) refused to give the indentity of any of the ip addresses. Saved my ass...

[/ QUOTE ]

you lucky bastard. I hate my school. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

gorie
06-23-2005, 04:43 PM
destroy the computer. then shrug and keep your hands up and say in a stupid voice "what mp3s?" , keep a stupid look on your face and hold position until they go away. repeat if necessary.

phil_ivey_fan
06-23-2005, 04:44 PM
what happens if I cannot pay? (I can but that's besides the point) I'm sure there are many who cannot.

Also, do you think the "my computer was hacked and had spyware...blah blah blah" holds any water? I'm a computer engineer, so that makes it a little less believable hehe

phil_ivey_fan
06-23-2005, 04:47 PM
also, just for future reference I recommend getting a subscription to a binary newsgroup (newzbin.com). It costs $15/month, but you are safe from getting caught by these bastards.

David Wooderson
06-23-2005, 04:48 PM
Man, it's the same bullshit they tried to pull in my day. If it ain't that mp3, there's some other choice they're gonna try and make for you. You gotta do what Phil_ivey_fan wants to do man. Let me tell you this, the older you do get the more rules they're gonna try to get you to follow. You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N.

phil_ivey_fan
06-23-2005, 04:52 PM
that's funny.

actually a little along the same line, my dad owns a restaurant. they have a cd player playing background music (from cds paid for by my father) for customers. One day he received a letter from the RIAA telling him that he needed to pay royalties for this else they would file a lawsuit. He ripped up the letter and never heard from them again.

at this point, I am just going to wait for them to contact me. Until then, all poker profit is going to the "i got bit.ch slapped by the riaa and now I'm vowing to never pay money for any digital copyrighted software again...besides pokertracker and playerview" /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Soul Daddy
06-23-2005, 04:53 PM
Awesome

pshreck
06-23-2005, 04:54 PM
Now THAT is a gimmick account.

jakethebake
06-23-2005, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And I'm pretty sure he was also all-county.

Soul Daddy
06-23-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And I'm pretty sure he was also all-county.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just all-district I believe.

mmbt0ne
06-23-2005, 04:57 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think they can do this anymore, which is way some of my fellow GT students got pwned on this too.

You people need to learn how to share stupid stuff like commercials and other allowable TV clips.

guller
06-23-2005, 05:00 PM
Too bad you destroyed all the files. They may have been worth the couple thousand you're going to have to pay for them.

phil_ivey_fan
06-23-2005, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think they can do this anymore, which is way some of my fellow GT students got pwned on this too.

You people need to learn how to share stupid stuff like commercials and other allowable TV clips.

[/ QUOTE ]

very true. I'm also one of those GT students, and I am always good about not sharing, but I felt safe sharing on this network seeing as it is available (upon approval by a committee) only to educational and government entities (read: no private business - RIAA, MPAA).

phil_ivey_fan
06-23-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Too bad you destroyed all the files. They may have been worth the couple thousand you're going to have to pay for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha. they're backed up. I'm not that dumb (although the jury is still out on that one).

IndieMatty
06-23-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Awesome

[/ QUOTE ]

Easily the best celebrity gimmick account. I applaud.

[censored]
Trying to [censored] up your computer perhaos one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard.

I would wait until contacted and then offer them a settlement for 1/2 the amount along with a letter saying your sorry, you learned your lesson blah blah.

Benholio
Get a lawyer and go for the Yahoo Music (http://www.blogmaverick.com/entry/1234000270043583/) defense, as recommended by Mark Cuban.

As seen on Slashdot (http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/05/05/17/1737202.shtml?tid=98&amp;tid=141&amp;tid=123&amp;tid=103&amp;tid=1 7)
"Mark Cuban is arguing over at Blog Maverick that with the introduction of Yahoo!'s new $5 per month music service that this needs to become the new de facto 'damages' that the RIAA ought to be able to claim when suing kids. After all, when the kids could have paid for the music via Yahoo! for $5 a month it makes it hard to say the music loss is worth more than that. 'The RIAA can no longer claim that students who are downloading music are costing them thousands of dollars each. They cant claim much of anything actually. In essence, Yahoo just turned possession of a controlled music substance into a misdemeanor. Payable by a $5 per month fine.'"

Of course, it isn't airtight, but I like it.

Alobar
06-23-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Man, it's the same bullshit they tried to pull in my day. If it ain't that mp3, there's some other choice they're gonna try and make for you. You gotta do what Phil_ivey_fan wants to do man. Let me tell you this, the older you do get the more rules they're gonna try to get you to follow. You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N.

[/ QUOTE ]

good work. A gimmic account with promise. Don't eff it up, you are sitting on a winning ticket here

phil_ivey_fan
06-23-2005, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Get a lawyer and go for the Yahoo Music (http://www.blogmaverick.com/entry/1234000270043583/) defense, as recommended by Mark Cuban.

As seen on Slashdot (http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/05/05/17/1737202.shtml?tid=98&amp;tid=141&amp;tid=123&amp;tid=103&amp;tid=1 7)
"Mark Cuban is arguing over at Blog Maverick that with the introduction of Yahoo!'s new $5 per month music service that this needs to become the new de facto 'damages' that the RIAA ought to be able to claim when suing kids. After all, when the kids could have paid for the music via Yahoo! for $5 a month it makes it hard to say the music loss is worth more than that. 'The RIAA can no longer claim that students who are downloading music are costing them thousands of dollars each. They cant claim much of anything actually. In essence, Yahoo just turned possession of a controlled music substance into a misdemeanor. Payable by a $5 per month fine.'"

Of course, it isn't airtight, but I like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

very good advice...thanx looking into it now. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

wacki
06-23-2005, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would wait until contacted and then offer them a settlement for 1/2 the amount along with a letter saying your sorry, you learned your lesson blah blah.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the RIAA. They don't care. They are very very money hungry. They've successfully sued an 8 year old girl before for downloading barney theme songs and the like. The parents didn't even know you could download music. The RIAA didn't care.

Benal
06-23-2005, 05:11 PM
Ahh the joys of living in Canada, where sharing music is actually legal.

[censored]
06-23-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the RIAA. They don't care. They are very very money hungry. They've successfully sued an 8 year old girl before for downloading barney theme songs and the like. The parents didn't even know you could download music. The RIAA didn't care.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it is about money then they should take the settlement offer as they are bound to spend more than 3500 in legal expenses.

pshreck
06-23-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad Canada has no culture to speak of.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-23-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but dubbed cassette tapes suck.

Benal
06-23-2005, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wont get into this with you, but you are waaay off base here pal.

FYI - American "culture" is nothing to be proud of.

[censored]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what other types of property would I be allowed to steal in Canada?

wacki
[ QUOTE ]
If it is about money then they should take the settlement offer as they are bound to spend more than 3500 in legal expenses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fear &gt; some puny settlement.

Benal
06-23-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Where Sharing music ONLINE is actually legal"

Happy?

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-23-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Where Sharing music ONLINE is actually legal"

Happy?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but when is the internet going to make it to Canada?

pshreck
06-23-2005, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

PM me your argument so I can laugh at it.

EDIT:

I'm going to read some Canadian literature for now so I won't be able to read it right away.

M2d
06-23-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Spanish Conquistadors were making a map of their
colonies in both North and South America. They
started drawing in the lines from down south --
territory they knew well -- and worked their way up.

Everything was going fine until they got to the north
central region on the map. "Hey, what's up there?"
the map maker asked the governor, pointing to the
vast emptiness above the Great Lakes.

The governor answered in Spanish, "Aca," (meaning
'here')?

"Yes," said the map maker.

"Nada," he replied once again in Spanish (meaning
'nothing).

Hence the great blank emptiness became known as
ACA-NADA, or in English, "There ain't nothin' here."

[/ QUOTE ]

Benal
06-23-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

PM me your argument so I can laugh at it.

EDIT:

I'm going to read some Canadian literature for now so I won't be able to read it right away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd actually like to know what you think is good about YOUR culture, so that I and the rest of the world can laugh.

pshreck
06-23-2005, 05:27 PM
Mark Twain.

If you guys got anything close to him, then let me know.

Benal
06-23-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mark Twain.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm talking about your current american culture. Things change you know...

kerssens
06-23-2005, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mark Twain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Canada has Shania Twain. Thats close.

Benal
06-23-2005, 05:35 PM
I'm not getting into this any further pshreck. I dont want this to turn into another pointless us vs you debate. I was just simply stating that it's nice to share music online without the FEAR of being sued. That is all. Good day.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-23-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mark Twain.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Let's not forget Brian Boytano.

shadow29
06-23-2005, 05:44 PM
I hate to get on the wrong side of this debate, but Canada has Leonard Cohen.

Or perhaps "had". I think the Buddhists have him now. Or something.

Gallopin Gael
06-23-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mark Twain.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Let's not forget Brian Boytano.

[/ QUOTE ]
and Celine Dion.

But she's French Canadian so they might not be taking credit for her.

[censored]
06-23-2005, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just out of curiosity dude, where do Canada's highest rated TV shows come from? How about highest grossing films? Most popular musicians? Again just curious if you happen to know.

Benal
06-23-2005, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just out of curiosity dude, where do Canada's highest rated TV shows come from? How about highest grossing films? Most popular musicians? Again just curious if you happen to know.

[/ QUOTE ]

I already said I'm not getting into it, but I find it interesting that you equate your culture to the entertainment industry, which for the most part is nothing to be proud of (sex, violence, etc..)

Voltron87
06-23-2005, 06:40 PM
1. If you're thinking of getting a lawyer, chances are that it's cheaper to just pay the fine and be done with it than hire a lawyer, especially a good one who will represent you well. Definitely look into how they got your name, maybe get one lawyer to represent you and 5 or 6 other students to make it cheaper.

2. Will the RIAA (or whoever, "the man") only sue people who share? Because if that is the case I'm never going to share popular music, only stuff that's not going to get prosecuted.

cmstaab
06-23-2005, 06:44 PM
Mark Cuban is a god.

utmt40
06-23-2005, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Stick it in her pooper?

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored]
06-23-2005, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mark Cuban is a god.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope just another rich mortal with a large ego who receives way too much attention. that you think he is a "god"...wow watch MTV much?

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-23-2005, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I already said I'm not getting into it, but I find it interesting that you equate your culture to the entertainment industry, which for the most part is nothing to be proud of (sex, violence, etc..)

[/ QUOTE ]
You guys eat it up. It can't be that bad, or else what the hell is wrong with you? What exactly would you say is culture? Tell us about the wonder that is Canadian culture.

Willluck
06-23-2005, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Stick it in her pooper?

[/ QUOTE ]
Teehehehehe. /images/graemlins/heart.gif

jakethebake
06-23-2005, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That must be why the entire world tries to emulate it.

mmbt0ne
06-23-2005, 08:04 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet you're so proud to be able to share the same culture you apparently think is nothing to be proud of. STFU.

BTW, thanks for the Cup, maybe you can get it back some time in the next decade.

Yeti
06-23-2005, 08:07 PM
Put down your flags, put your dicks back in your pants.

I will never understand American chest-beating on this level.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-23-2005, 08:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
But Benal started it!

DavidC
06-23-2005, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And since when did "highest grossing films" become an indication of quality? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

jakethebake
06-23-2005, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure the Canadian started it.

CallMeIshmael
06-23-2005, 08:32 PM
Benal, Im Canadian, and I dont think there is really any way you are going to win this debate. On a matter of culture, IMO, America &gt; Canada.

The two countries are good at different things. America pretty much blows away the competition in terms of:

-Finance
-Military
-Power (result of the above two)

On the other hand, as of right now, Canada offers a higher quality of life (source) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UN_Human_Development_Index))

Yeti
06-23-2005, 08:33 PM
Meh, six of one... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

The Stranger
06-23-2005, 08:34 PM
http://sp24-7.lambtron.com/grabs/604/crowe109.jpg

mmbt0ne
06-23-2005, 08:34 PM
Do you guys call Indians "Native-Canadians?" For some reason I just thought about this.

CallMeIshmael
06-23-2005, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you guys call Indians "Native-Canadians?" For some reason I just thought about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHAHAH

No.

BUT.... Great (not so great?) minds think alike: At school, I did convince my friends that we do! (I will often try to sell my friends with "that's how we do it in Canada")

The Stranger
06-23-2005, 08:47 PM
I heard in Latin America, the word 'America' does not mean the United States of America. When they use the word 'America,' they mean what we (people in the US) mean when we say 'The Americas.'

So in that context Native American works for the US, Canada, Mexico, Argentina, whatever. I read some Russell Means. I know his history is pretty militant, so some people discount his view, but he would prefer that people use the term "American Indian."

In Canada, does someone referring to 'America,' automatically mean the US?

CallMeIshmael
06-23-2005, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In Canada, does someone referring to 'America,' automatically mean the US?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Its essentially assumed that America = USA

Voltron87
06-23-2005, 08:52 PM
Please, like there aren't tons of elitist british assholes around. (I'm under the impression you are english, I think you mentioned it somewhere)

There are tons of britons who hate american people, not just stuff like the president, but think americans are fat, stupid, loud and obnoxious, etc. My father is from Northern Ireland, so I travel to belfast and england quite often, and when I do, I get treated like crap by a ton of people. It's not that these aren't nice people, when I was in belfast this past summer I got the cold shoulder from everyone until I would mention "my father grew up here, on such and such street and I'm staying with family here", and then people would become really nice and hospitable, being friendly. For a lot of people it was night and day between being "an American" and being "an northern irish american"

You literally would not believe the crap I got from protestants when political discussions came up, they would yell at me about irish americans funding the IRA, etc. and generally for being american. But when I said, "oh my father grew up off the ormeau road and im staying with cousins" they would all treat me amazingly well and be great people.

[censored]
06-23-2005, 08:55 PM
In America men generally take a piss standing up. Is this the same in Canada or do guys pretty much have to sit because...well you know.

CallMeIshmael
06-23-2005, 09:00 PM
Contrary to what you may wish to believe, ho[/i]mo sapiens sapiens inhabit more than just your country.

Yeti
06-23-2005, 09:01 PM
I was referring more to the vehement defense of one's own country. Most Brits will be happy to admit their own country is nothing to be proud of.

Anyway, yeah, it's true Britan tends to have a negative stereotypical view of the average American. Still, this is all merely swings and roundabouts, your average American has equally retarded visions of our little island.

Not to mention we 'must know' your friend Bruce because he lives in London!

I can personally vouch for the last line taking place at least once. I live 250 miles from London, in a country of 60 million people, yet I've been expected to know someone based on their first name. Utterly bizarre.

I'm rambling. Off to bed.

dawade
06-23-2005, 09:05 PM
How did they figure out exactly how much to sue you for? Based on the number of songs or what?

ThaSaltCracka
06-23-2005, 09:12 PM
wtf is Canadian culture anyways? I never understood this. What exactly do Canadians do that is Canadian

I know what Americans do, we love to Barbeque, drive fast cars, spend time with friends and family, travel, spend money, hunt, play sports, drink beer, and gamble. I think thats our culture, sounds pretty damn good to me.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-23-2005, 09:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How did they figure out exactly how much to sue you for? Based on the number of songs or what?

[/ QUOTE ]
Back on topic, please. We're talking about how much better the United States is than other countries, specifically Canada.

[censored]
06-23-2005, 09:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Back on topic, please. We're talking about how much better the United States is than other countries, specifically Canada.

[/ QUOTE ]

For real dude, stop trying to Hijack the thread! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

CallMeIshmael
06-23-2005, 09:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know what Americans do, we love to Barbeque, drive fast cars, spend time with friends and family, travel, spend money, hunt, play sports, drink beer, and gamble. I think thats our culture, sounds pretty damn good to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you dont honestly believe that any of these are uniquely american. That certainly also describes canadians. And, probably many other countries as well.

spamuell
06-23-2005, 09:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I know what Americans do, we love to Barbeque, drive fast cars, spend time with friends and family, travel, spend money, hunt, play sports, drink beer, and gamble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you mean Australians?

ThaSaltCracka
06-23-2005, 09:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you dont honestly believe that any of these are uniquely american. That certainly also describes canadians. And, probably many other countries as well.

[/ QUOTE ]I could care less if it describes other countries, all I was saying is that describes our culture. All these douches talk about how America doesn't have classical musicians and hoity toity painters etc, so what, that [censored] is old school crotchety [censored]. We have modern artist/architects/scientists that IMO pwn everything before it, cept some of the old old ass painters and sculptures.

ThaSaltCracka
06-23-2005, 09:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I know what Americans do, we love to Barbeque, drive fast cars, spend time with friends and family, travel, spend money, hunt, play sports, drink beer, and gamble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you mean Australians?

[/ QUOTE ]Australians might as well be Americans, because they sure are cooler than those from the UK.

OtisTheMarsupial
06-23-2005, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

my thoughts exactly.

Dead
06-24-2005, 01:07 AM
F*ck the RIAA.

I moved off campus and out of the dorms to get away from their bullshit. 95% of the users that the RIAA goes after now are college users on dorm networks. If you move off campus and get cable/dsl then they can't touch you. Why not?

Because Road Runner cable and Verizon DSL fight tooth and nail in court to protect their customers from the greedy RIAA. The RIAA has stopped [censored] with them and their customers.

utmt40
06-24-2005, 01:09 AM
STOP BREAKIN THE LAW ASS HOLE!
J/K
Always wanted to say that for some reason.

Dead
06-24-2005, 01:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I could care less if it describes other countries, all I was saying is that describes our culture. All these douches talk about how America doesn't have classical musicians and hoity toity painters etc, so what, that [censored] is old school crotchety [censored]. We have modern artist/architects/scientists that IMO pwn everything before it, cept some of the old old ass painters and sculptures.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok you are stupid(and uncultured /images/graemlins/wink.gif).

ptmusic
06-24-2005, 01:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct that they don't care about apologies, and that they have gone after some silly cases. But the RIAA is not just money "hungry", it is money "starved."

It represents an industry that is going through its biggest downswing in its history. Sure you see the Jessica Simpsons and the Maroon 5's making big bucks, but there are SO MANY people that I know personally whose careers have been derailed in the music industry, and illegal file sharing has definitely played a role.

I'm not talking about artists who have suffered (although many have). I'm talking about behind the scenes professionals like recording engineers who have devoted decades to their craft, and countless employees at the distribution, retail, and artist management levels. Thousands of hard-working non-"glamorous" jobs gone because some people don't think they should have to pay for something.

Times are-a-changin', and these newly unemployed folks have to change with them, just like when other industries go south. But the law is the law, and you shouldn't break it when there are victims.

-ptmusic

ptmusic
06-24-2005, 01:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
F*ck the RIAA.

I moved off campus and out of the dorms to get away from their bullshit. 95% of the users that the RIAA goes after now are college users on dorm networks. If you move off campus and get cable/dsl then they can't touch you. Why not?

Because Road Runner cable and Verizon DSL fight tooth and nail in court to protect their customers from the greedy RIAA. The RIAA has stopped [censored] with them and their customers.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your plan in life is to break the law, and when it becomes difficult, look for an easier way to break it elsewhere? If your goal is simply to avoid getting caught, then I hope you get some values when you grow up. If your goal is stick to the RIAA, I hope you find some better goals someday.

-ptmusic

Dead
06-24-2005, 01:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
F*ck the RIAA.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your plan in life is to break the law, and when it becomes difficult, look for an easier way to break it elsewhere? If your goal is simply to avoid getting caught, then I hope you get some values when you grow up. If your goal is stick to the RIAA, I hope you find some better goals someday.

-ptmusic

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a goal you [censored] lazy recording artist. You think you're entitled to money just because you put out some [censored] product? Newsflash: you're not. So get a shave and stop being a stupid hippie.

As for the music, I would be happy if the RIAA would just stop hunting college kids and making their lives hell. I don't download music to "stick it" to the RIAA. I download it because I don't want to pay for it, and because it is easily accessible.

bronzepiglet
06-24-2005, 01:35 AM
So, sharing on the college network is bad... are there any other particularly dangerous sharing activities that a regular residential ISP user should avoid to not get busted?

How likely is it if you do some mild P2P activity with the likely clients?

ThaSaltCracka
06-24-2005, 01:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
F*ck the RIAA.

[/ QUOTE ]

-ptmusic

[/ QUOTE ] http://www.bbc.co.uk/parenting/images/300/baby_crying_closeup.jpg

ptmusic
06-24-2005, 01:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1. If you're thinking of getting a lawyer, chances are that it's cheaper to just pay the fine and be done with it than hire a lawyer, especially a good one who will represent you well. Definitely look into how they got your name, maybe get one lawyer to represent you and 5 or 6 other students to make it cheaper.

2. Will the RIAA (or whoever, "the man") only sue people who share? Because if that is the case I'm never going to share popular music, only stuff that's not going to get prosecuted.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be the most reprehensible post of the thread, congratulations. You seem like an intelligent person, but you use those smarts to figure out how to steal and get away with it. The OP shouldn't hire lawyers, but not to save money, he should just pay the fine and stop stealing.

As for #2, it sounds like you want to steal, but you want to avoid getting prosecuted by stealing less popular songs. That is a recipe for crushing the little man - great if you want to completely stunt independent artists so they have NO chance of making a living. Why not just pay a very small amount, or look for music that is actually offered for free directly by the creator?

-ptmusic

Dead
06-24-2005, 01:42 AM
Exactly.

Ptmusic is just a whiny little bitch that wants to be paid for a shitty product. If your product is that good then the money will come in. You will get people who come to see you on tour, dude. I see lots of my favorite bands on tour, even if I don't buy their music, because nothing compares to a live show.

And I'm not the one really screwing the artists. That's the record companies, bud. They're the ones who only give artists like $1 per record sold while they take the other 90%. You know how much it costs to spit out each CD? Like 50 cents dude. Selling a CD for 18 bucks is [censored] ridiculous.

Dead
06-24-2005, 01:44 AM
I would also like you to explain why this is stealing. This is not like walking into Media Play and walking out with a music CD in your pocket. That is a physical product that has actual monetary value. An MP3 has no monetary value. If someone rips a CD that they bought on their computer and upload it to a file sharing network, people who download that are not stealing.

It is no different from taping something off of TV or the radio. Copying music files is not stealing, no matter how much you would like it to be. Google the FAIR USE ACT.

And oh yeah- suck my [censored]

ptmusic
06-24-2005, 01:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
F*ck the RIAA.

[/ QUOTE ]

-ptmusic

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a goal you [censored] lazy recording artist. You think you're entitled to money just because you put out some [censored] product? Newsflash: you're not. So get a shave and stop being a stupid hippie.

As for the music, I would be happy if the RIAA would just stop hunting college kids and making their lives hell. I don't download music to "stick it" to the RIAA. I download it because I don't want to pay for it, and because it is easily accessible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Facts: I'm not a recording artist or a hippie, nor do I think I'm entitled to anything. Everything you assumed about me is wrong. You are a thief.

-ptmusic

bronzepiglet
06-24-2005, 01:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Exactly.

Ptmusic is just a whiny little bitch that wants to be paid for a shitty product. If your product is that good then the money will come in. You will get people who come to see you on tour, dude. I see lots of my favorite bands on tour, even if I don't buy their music, because nothing compares to a live show.

And I'm not the one really screwing the artists. That's the record companies, bud. They're the ones who only give artists like $1 per record sold while they take the other 90%. You know how much it costs to spit out each CD? Like 50 cents dude. Selling a CD for 18 bucks is [censored] ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't necessarily support sharing music whole-heartedly, but I do download some stuff (usually ending up buying what I like). Probably 90% of shared stuff are lame singles from some recording industry tools whose albums are all filler. I can't really feel bad for them.

I consider myself a decent musician and maybe even able to make marketable music, but I know that the chances of me making any money at it aren't good, and it's not because people download... it's because the record industry people are greedy bastards.

It's ridiculous for the RIAA to say that they are trying to protect artists when the big companies give artists the shaft with almost every deal they make.

Dead
06-24-2005, 01:54 AM
Exactly.

ptmusic
06-24-2005, 01:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would also like you to explain why this is stealing. This is not like walking into Media Play and walking out with a music CD in your pocket. That is a physical product that has actual monetary value. An MP3 has no monetary value. If someone rips a CD that they bought on their computer and upload it to a file sharing network, people who download that are not stealing.

It is no different from taping something off of TV or the radio. Copying music files is not stealing, no matter how much you would like it to be. Google the FAIR USE ACT.

And oh yeah- suck my [censored]

[/ QUOTE ]

These issues are being hammered out in the courts today. As it stands now (put in simple terms), you are allowed to make copies for yourself, but not for others. You are simply incorrect about what the law currently states about file-sharing - it is stealing. That's why the OP may end up having to pay a fine like many others have. If it weren't stealing, no one would ever have to pay anything.

As for the claim that MP3's have no monetary value - that's obviously true for you, if you would never pay for them. But a song is what's called "intellectual property" and it does have monetary value. That value obviously varies greatly depending on the song, but no matter what medium the intellectual property is reproduced on (or even if it only on paper), it has value.

-ptmusic

Dead
06-24-2005, 01:55 AM
It's true that it's being hammered out in the courts.

And I guarantee you that you and your ilk will lose.

ptmusic
06-24-2005, 01:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Exactly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't necessarily support sharing music whole-heartedly, but I do download some stuff (usually ending up buying what I like). Probably 90% of shared stuff are lame singles from some recording industry tools whose albums are all filler. I can't really feel bad for them.

I consider myself a decent musician and maybe even able to make marketable music, but I know that the chances of me making any money at it aren't good, and it's not because people download... it's because the record industry people are greedy bastards.

It's ridiculous for the RIAA to say that they are trying to protect artists when the big companies give artists the shaft with almost every deal they make.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true, and I won't argue with anyone about how "the big companies give artists the shaft". But we are talking about illegal file sharing here. I'm saying it is a factor in the music industry's downswing, although there are other factors (like greedy labels). And I'm saying it is wrong, although there are worse crimes.

-ptmusic

ptmusic
06-24-2005, 02:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's true that it's being hammered out in the courts.

And I guarantee you that you and your ilk will lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be right. And I don't think that would be such a bad scenario, believe it or not. At least we wouldn't have a generation of people stealing and feeling okay about doing it. Plus, maybe the music industry would get on the ball and be force to come up with a new business model.

But you said earlier that it is not stealing to download files that others have shared, and you are wrong about that (currently). And that's what I'm talking about: most people don't even think it's stealing, or don't care if they know it is.

-ptmusic

ptmusic
06-24-2005, 02:13 AM
Ya got me.

-ptmusic

bronzepiglet
06-24-2005, 02:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Plus, maybe the music industry would get on the ball and be force to come up with a new business model.

[/ QUOTE ]

Righteous.

morgant
06-24-2005, 04:00 AM
i went to lehigh. mmmmmmkay

LargeCents
07-02-2005, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct that they don't care about apologies, and that they have gone after some silly cases. But the RIAA is not just money "hungry", it is money "starved."

It represents an industry that is going through its biggest downswing in its history. Sure you see the Jessica Simpsons and the Maroon 5's making big bucks, but there are SO MANY people that I know personally whose careers have been derailed in the music industry, and illegal file sharing has definitely played a role.

I'm not talking about artists who have suffered (although many have). I'm talking about behind the scenes professionals like recording engineers who have devoted decades to their craft, and countless employees at the distribution, retail, and artist management levels. Thousands of hard-working non-"glamorous" jobs gone because some people don't think they should have to pay for something.

Times are-a-changin', and these newly unemployed folks have to change with them, just like when other industries go south. But the law is the law, and you shouldn't break it when there are victims.
-ptmusic

[/ QUOTE ]

Why isn't/wasn't there a law protecting my job from being shipped overseas? Law has more to do with money/power/diplomacy than victims. There are more victims than laws that protect them. I feel for the music industry the same way they feel for me: lukewarm apathy.

Nelson Muntz
07-02-2005, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking for some advice. Basically, I got caught using i2hub for sharing and downloading music on the internet 2 backbone.

The riaa filed lawsuits against 400+ college student across the country for copyright violations. They filed the lawsuits as john doe lawsuits. They then supenoed the colleges to turn over the identities of the IP addresses in violation.

I found out back in april after the list of ip's from my school was leaked on the internet that I was one of the unfortunate 25 from my college. I immediately loaded my computer w/ spyware, backdoors, viruses, and then corrupted the OS. I took it to CompUSA so that I could get them to document all the things wrong w/ my computer. My school's legal services department just notified me 5 days ago that they are turning over my identity to the RIAA effective yesterday (jun22).

What should I do? The reason I messed up my computer was so I could have a shot at pleading ignorance. Is this a good idea or no? Should I just bite the bullet and pay the etsimated $3500 settlement fee?

The RIAA has still not released a statement on how they got access to the I2 backbone. They applied back in Dec. 2004 and were denied by the I2 Committee. Should I wait it out and hope that a ruling that the RIAA illegaly obtained the evidence?

- Phil

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha Ha!

beta1607
07-02-2005, 07:02 PM
They have a bunch of salaried lawyers on staff - it costs you much more to fight then it costs them - and recent precedent sugguests you will lose anyway. Just wait for them to contact you then pony up the cash and move on.

Peter666
07-02-2005, 07:04 PM
Brian Boitano is an American you stupid retard. And learn how to spell.

Peter666
07-02-2005, 07:16 PM
A stupid law is not a real law. There is no moral or ethical obligation to follow it.

ptmusic
07-02-2005, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-ptmusic

[/ QUOTE ]

Why isn't/wasn't there a law protecting my job from being shipped overseas? Law has more to do with money/power/diplomacy than victims. There are more victims than laws that protect them. I feel for the music industry the same way they feel for me: lukewarm apathy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps there should be/should have been a law that protected your job from going overseas. But that's not the subject of this thread or my post, and the fact is it wasn't against the law. But in the case of internet piracy, there is a law on the books, and there are victims when people break that law.

I feel bad that you lost your job. If someone got rich off a deal that exported your job and others' jobs and is smoking a cigar on the beach somewhere with the commission he got from that deal, that sucks, and I wish it didn't happen to you. If someone broke a law making that deal, I would raise my voice about it.

That's what I'm doing in this case.

-ptmusic

ptmusic
07-02-2005, 10:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A stupid law is not a real law.

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of logic is that?

[ QUOTE ]

There is no moral or ethical obligation to follow it.

[/ QUOTE ]

We can't just have everyone deciding what laws to follow and what not to, and then not enforce anything. As a citizen, I believe there is a moral obligation to society to follow the law.

I also believe that when a law is in place to protect members of society, as these piracy are in place to protect the creators and those who support them, there is a further moral obligation to follow that law.

Obviously, there are varying degrees of morality, and downloading a song or a movie is not high on the list. But that doesn't mean it "isn't a law" or that it's perfectly ethical to steal.

-ptmusic