PDA

View Full Version : Grammar help

Bulldog
06-23-2005, 03:19 PM
This is a summary of the count completed by Joe, Mike, and me on May 10.

-OR-

This is a summary of the count completed by Joe, Mike, and myself on May 10.

shadow29
06-23-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

edit- if you take away Joe and Mike that tells you what you need to do. Like "This is a summary of the count completed by me on May 10."

jakethebake
06-23-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The other is just goofy sounding.

bwana devil
06-23-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
me

[/ QUOTE ]

Bulldog
06-23-2005, 05:21 PM
Thanks all. I thought it was "me", but in an email draft I sent out, one guy wrote back to tell me it should be "myself."

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-23-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks all. I thought it was "me", but in an email draft I sent out, one guy wrote back to tell me it should be "myself."

[/ QUOTE ]
What a jackass!

yoadrians
06-23-2005, 05:28 PM
Allow myself ... to introduce ... myself. Yeah, it's 'me'.

RacersEdge
06-23-2005, 05:40 PM
It's definitely "me", but the "This" hanging there all by itself at the beginning is not that great.

shadow29
06-23-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's defeinintely "me", but the "This" hanging there all by itself at the beginning is not that great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. You should have a noun after every occurrence of "this".

bholdr
06-23-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

-OR-

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell are they teaching you kids in english class these days?

the problem is that you're set on using 'passive voice' instead of 'active voice'. Passive voice is a sentance or clause structure that has the subject following the predicate, such as "Water was drank by Jon" as opposed to the more forceful, clear, and concise active voice "Jon drank the water." Always use active voice until you're a good enough writer to effectivly use the other.

also, any number under 20 should be spelled out, use numerals for higher numbers.

This sentance should be:

"Joe, Mike, and I completed this summary of the count on the tenth of May."

DemonDeac
06-23-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-OR-

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell are they teaching you kids in english class these days?

the problem is that you're set on using 'passive voice' instead of 'active voice'. Passive voice is a sentance or clause structure that has the subject following the predicate, such as "Water was drank by Jon" as opposed to the more forceful, clear, and concise active voice "Jon drank the water." Always use active voice until you're a good enough writer to effectivly use the other.

also, any number under 20 should be spelled out, use numerals for higher numbers.

This sentance should be:

"Joe, Mike, and I completed this summary of the count on the tenth of May."

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, passive voice sucks.

isnt that numbers rule out the window in dealing with dates though, especially when its a cardinal number like 10th. i could be wrong though?

belloc
06-23-2005, 08:03 PM
"Myself" has two independent functions in English (which are often wholly different words in other languages): (1) the first person singular intensive pronoun, and (2) the first person singular reflexive pronoun. In your example, you have neither situation, and you should just use the regular first person singular pronoun, "me".

Here are examples of the usage of each:

Intensive pronoun (when the first person speaker wants to intensify the subject):

Person: I play golf three times per week.
You: I play four or five times, myself. (OR: I myself play four or five times.)

Reflexive pronoun (when both the subject and object of a verb are in the first person, that is, the action of the verb reflects back upon the subject):

Person: You should have used a five iron there.
You: Yeah, I'm kicking myself for using the four.