PDA

View Full Version : NBA Trade Rumor

xadrez
06-23-2005, 02:49 PM
Quentin Richardson to NY for Kurt Thomas

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2093093)

Phoenix1010
06-23-2005, 03:17 PM
AAAAH ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? Trade away one of our only remaining players who can even masquerade as a 5 for yet another overrated 2/3 who will further kill our cap space? This has got to be bizarro world.

xadrez
06-23-2005, 03:25 PM
Why did Isiah sign Jamal Crawford? Then trade for Richardson?

Ultimately, how angry I get about this is going to depend on how which draft picks the Knicks give up. If this cost a draft pick in the next 2-3 years I might break something in my office.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-23-2005, 03:42 PM
I am more than apathetic about this... or am I less than apathetic? What I'm trying to say is I have no idea why I should ever care.

Phoenix1010
06-23-2005, 04:30 PM
Reminds me of the animated Sports Guy season two premier.

David Stern: "From the New York Knickerbockers, the winner of the NBA's 2005 Worst Executive award, Isiah Thomas."

Isiah Thomas: "Thank you Mr. Commissioner. I made a deal with Magic during the commercial. I'm trading him the number 1 pick straight up for Slava Medvedenko, and his last two slices of pizza."

The Armchair
06-23-2005, 10:03 PM
Isiah for Governor!

(Anything to get him out of the front office.)

Jules22
06-23-2005, 10:19 PM
knicks philosophy "cant ever have too many small forwards!"

06-23-2005, 10:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why did Isiah sign Jamal Crawford? Then trade for Richardson?

Ultimately, how angry I get about this is going to depend on how which draft picks the Knicks give up. If this cost a draft pick in the next 2-3 years I might break something in my office.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jamal Crawford and Q. Richardson are completely different ballplayers. With the loss of Allan Houston, the Knicks need a spot-up shooter. They don't have another one. Jamal Crawford shoots 12%.

Also, Richardson is 25. Thomas is 32. And the Knicks get a #1 (probably late round, dubious value), they don't give one up.

I am not telling you (a) that I like this deal or (b) that it makes sense relative to all of the other moves Isaiah has made. All I'm saying is that I can understand why the Knicks want Q.

PS WFAN has been reporting that there is serious doubt as to whether Richardson will pass a physical.

Aces McGee
06-24-2005, 10:44 AM
I don't like this trade for Phoenix, either. I know they need to get bigger. But adding Kurt Thomas (who'll be often be undersized in the West) isn't going to turn them into a defensive juggernaut. They are still going to need to score a bunch of points to win. And I think giving up Q (premier three-point threat who opens the floor up) may hamper their offense enough such that the marginal improvement on the defensive end won't be enough to compensate for the loss of his offense.

-McGee

RogerZBT
06-24-2005, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Isiah for Governor!

(Anything to get him out of the front office.)

[/ QUOTE ]
He'd sell Manhattan back to the Indians for $11 in beads and trinkets.

Phoenix1010
06-24-2005, 12:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't like this trade for Phoenix, either. I know they need to get bigger. But adding Kurt Thomas (who'll be often be undersized in the West) isn't going to turn them into a defensive juggernaut. They are still going to need to score a bunch of points to win. And I think giving up Q (premier three-point threat who opens the floor up) may hamper their offense enough such that the marginal improvement on the defensive end won't be enough to compensate for the loss of his offense.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, but I actually think any trade for any halfway decent center is a great trade for Phoenix. They have too many players who do exactly the same thing. Joe Johnson and Q are basically carbon copies of each other, and Marion is very similar except that his strength and jumping ability make him more versatile. The trade isn't meant to make them a defensive juggernaut, it's meant to allow the Suns' big men to play their natural positions. Amare Stoudemire had an amazing year as a severely undersized center, imagine the havoc he'll wreak on the power forwards of the league. Same goes for Marion moving from 4 to 3. They're trading something they already have too much of for a piece they've been desperately missing.

IndieMatty
06-24-2005, 12:12 PM
Some items not mentioned. The Knicks are getting a 2007 first rounder. The knicks get younger, we lost one of our better players BUT we have a glut of Power Forwards. The Knicks will draft Channing Frye and make a run at Steven Hunter to get bigger up front.

I like this trade.

xadrez
06-24-2005, 12:44 PM
When I originally posted my thoughts, I thought the Knicks gave up the pick. Now that I see the Knicks get the draft pick (albeit in late 1st round) I am not upset over the deal.

trying2learn
06-24-2005, 01:09 PM
steve nash, joe johnson, shawn marion, amare stoudamire, and kurt thomas is just NASTY, period.

llabb
06-24-2005, 01:14 PM
Agree with Phoenix1010. Amare complained the whole season about playing C. He wants to play his natural position at PF. Now he'll get to do that. And dominate. You want him on your fantasy team next year. Marion back at the 3 creates huge mismatches.

The Suns gain size, strength, and interior defense, without compromising the running game. They can run just as well with Nash, JJ, Marion, and Amare racing downcourt, they don't need all 5 to be quicker than lightning. KT getting more rebs, then giving it to Nash also means there will be even more running opportunities.

Great trade for Pho. Balances the team out, and more importantly, enables them to re-sign both Amare and JJ, which they weren't gonna be able to do before.

It's fine for NY, too, not as boneheaded as some of Isaiah's other moves. They've been shopping Thomas for the last year; he wasn't taking them anywhere. They wanted to play Sweeney full-time in the post sooner rather than later. They're drafting Channing Frye at C, now he'll get a chance.

Q is not repetition for NY. He replaces Allan Houston who was useless last year, but still had a little sympathy in NY due to his tenure. Marbury, Crawford, Q, and TT can all get 35+ min soaking up all the time at the 1, 2, and 3 spots. PF and C have potential in the young guys, but no depth, especially when one of them flounders, which will happen. The bonehead move was trading Nazr for Rose last season. Anyway, with NY getting a future first-rounder, it's definitely a more-than-fair deal.

J.R.
06-24-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Joe Johnson and Q are basically carbon copies of each other,

[/ QUOTE ]

no way, Q has been amazingly overrated since Depaul. Joe Johnson is sooooo much better on both ends of the court. Q is a chucker (8 3s a game) who can't play good D and fails to create his own shot. And where was he in the playoffs- nowhere. I agree with everything else. ship him and brandi to NY.

holeplug
06-24-2005, 01:53 PM
This would be a great trade for PHX. They have to dump someone b/c they absolutely have to keep JJ and if they get a C in return even better.